Player Discussion Sam Reinhart - Is he the real deal?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Reinhart is my favourite player but he will be a RFA. If he scores 70+ this season and next - give the man his money. Right now 6.5 for rfa seasons and 7.5 for ufa seems fair.

He’s not on Skinner level yet but he has a skillset that we really need. Nylander has a caphit of 6.9 right? And he’s been a lot better not counting the current season...

I’d like to see Reinhart on both PP1 and PP2 unless he’s too tired. His screens are the best I’ve seen since Thörnberg was in his prime. Let the other guys work and then he can glide in front of the goalie at the exact moment. It’s like a perfect stroke from a brush.
replying to the general posts on this thread / page, not just the bolded above, but IMO:

If the Sabres don't move Reinhart to his own line longer-term, regardless of whether they re-sign Skinner, then they definitely need to find another player like Reinhart if they are serious about being a deep playoff run contender during their Eichel/Dahlin window of opportunity. To me, Reinhart is (currently) the Swiss-Army-knife-Jochen-Hecht (with higher upside, depending on linemates) the Sabres will absolutely need for deep playoff runs.

I hope Mittelstadt projects to the rounded skill sets Reinhart does (like some of the film we saw in the WJC and the Gophers games), but I'm not seeing that at the NHL level yet, and that's not a knock on Mittelstadt. Those that watch the Amerks can comment if there's someone else coming up who might be Reinhart, or Reinhart-lite.

To the bolded, IMO Reinhart is hands down the current Sabres forward who is most effective playing with either his back to the opponent's net, or facing it.

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
The playmaking Sam Reinhart is the real deal. I think we can look for a 40-50 assist talent potentially. The goals somewhere between 15-20 goals.

He has 31 assists now and has 39 games left to play and you think he can only potentially make it to 40-50 assists?

Keep in mind earlier in the year he wasn't producing much (like 5 assists in his first 13 games)

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
He has 31 assists now and has 39 games left to play and you think he can only potentially make it to 40-50 assists?

Keep in mind earlier in the year he wasn't producing much (like 5 assists in his first 13 games)
He needs to change his name so it doesn’t rhyme with ”slow start”

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
replying to the general posts on this thread / page, not just the bolded above, but IMO:

If the Sabres don't move Reinhart to his own line longer-term, regardless of whether they re-sign Skinner, then they definitely need to find another player like Reinhart if they are serious about being a deep playoff run contender during their Eichel/Dahlin window of opportunity. To me, Reinhart is (currently) the Swiss-Army-knife-Jochen-Hecht (with higher upside, depending on linemates) the Sabres will absolutely need for deep playoff runs.

I hope Mittelstadt projects to the rounded skill sets Reinhart does (like some of the film we saw in the WJC and the Gophers games), but I'm not seeing that at the NHL level yet, and that's not a knock on Mittelstadt. Those that watch the Amerks can comment if there's someone else coming up who might be Reinhart, or Reinhart-lite.

To the bolded, IMO Reinhart is hands down the current Sabres forward who is most effective playing with either his back to the opponent's net, or facing it.
To me the guy most similar to Reinhart is still Nylander.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
And most would agree with Sam being more assertive without Jack on his line. I know it's an observation some made even 2 years ago. Is there a stat for how many shots someone takes from more than 5 feet from the goalie? I would imagine that number is much higher for Reinhart when he's away from Jack than when he's with him. He tries to make the second move to feed Eichel a tap in far too many times.
I notice it more on the breakouts. Sam actually skates the puck sometimes when he's without Jack, but seems to always be coasting looking to draw a player then feed Jack on a rush, even if he's super late, when he knows Jack's out there.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

What about when his back is perpendicular to the net?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Geez, some of you people would have broken up the French Connection. :laugh:

That wouldn't have necessarily been a bad idea....

I've seen some interesting math that suggests the most important thing a coach can do is make sure there's 1 good player on the ice at all times. That strategy may be more productive than overloading which has been the dominant theme for the last 120 years.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I think we almost need to stop evaluating players completely before they turn 22...you realize how stupid polls on the main board are with young players even a year later.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Geez, some of you people would have broken up the French Connection. :laugh:
I know you’re being partially facetious, but with Ramsay-Luce-Gare as the 2nd / defensive line potting 90-100 goals a season, it wasn’t necessary. (And I know you’re old enough to remember that, so I’m not poking at you.). Point being there’s no way BUF makes deep playoff runs without depth scoring which forces defensive matchup issues on at least one line.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I know you’re being partially facetious, but with Ramsay-Luce-Gare as the 2nd / defensive line potting 90-100 goals a season, it wasn’t necessary. (And I know you’re old enough to remember that, so I’m not poking at you.). Point being there’s no way BUF makes deep playoff runs without depth scoring which forces defensive matchup issues on at least one line.
The French connection line existed for 2 full seasons (72-73, 73-74) before Ramsay-Luce-Gare. Gare's rookie season was 74-75. It wasn't that different than the situation now. Do you break up your top line to try to spread the scoring around or keep it intact while you develop other players? There is no right answer. They hit a home run with Gare.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I love Reinhart but 50 to 60 assists seems a bit exessive.
I am happy if he takes home 70 points this season.
If Eichel is out or if he plays with guys like Sobotka who are blackholes regarding passes and perfect feeds.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
We'll never get a consensus in this thread. I really think a more effective way to settle this debate is for someone to shake a magic 8 ball and post the results. Repeat daily and you have your answer. This way everyone wins :nod:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I don't know that a consensus is necessary re: his absolute or relative value to the team, in terms of contribution, role, future, etc. What is needed is an affordable 3rd contract which similarly allows Skinner to be signed. We can argue about Reinhart's value all we want to after that. :laugh::laugh:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Like Pettersson VS Eichel?

Ya pretty much. The 16 year olds on this board just assume development is linear when we’ve all seen it’s far from.

If I had a dime every time a poll on the main boards was completely lopsided one way and completely changed only 8 months later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->