Player Discussion Sam Reinhart - Is he the real deal?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Good thing I want to trade our 4th best.

So going off of this logic (which I disagree with, but we'll run with it).....

You want to take a legit top 6 forward off of a team that struggles to score..........and think it'll help the team? And you're fine with giving him a deal that's $7M AAV......and you think trading him might help the team?

Trading guys that get $7M AAV, a guy that's a legit top 6 forward and not yet 25...............it doesn't end well for the team giving that player up.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
We know, we dont need confirmation because someone who scores 22 goals and puts up 50 points in 66 games isn't good enough for you.

I'm sorry my opinion of not wanting to pay a guy who while extremely talented in some ways, isnt motivated enough.. has no competitive fire, doesnt have the ability to to create on his own, has a history of disappearing for first half of the year upsets you enough to just spout hyperboles in characterizing my opinions.

Kudos to you.

Reactions: schpaff

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
So going off of this logic (which I disagree with, but we'll run with it).....

You want to take a legit top 6 forward off of a team that struggles to score..........and think it'll help the team? And you're fine with giving him a deal that's $7M AAV......and you think trading him might help the team?

Trading guys that get $7M AAV, a guy that's a legit top 6 forward and not yet 25...............it doesn't end well for the team giving that player up.

I am of the opinion that yes... this team could benefit from trading Samson Reinhart especially if he gets anything over 7 million.

Can it back fire? Yes..because that is the nature of the game. Nothing is certain.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Eh, with Eichel hurt and not able to produce for the past 5 games I would have liked to see Reinhart step up and push play.

But he didn't, and I think it shows he couldn't. So to me, the answer is easy: Reinhart is not the "real deal".

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Eh, with Eichel hurt and not able to produce for the past 5 games I would have liked to see Reinhart step up and push play.

But he didn't, and I think it shows he couldn't. So to me, the answer is easy: Reinhart is not the "real deal".

Reinhart cannot drive a line by himself. We've had enough time to determine that already. He is not a core player, he is a good supplementary player.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Sam's young and good and talented and has been talented his whole life. You don't give that up. We're going to pay for the short term deal we did two years ago

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Our 3 top forwards, "by themselves" (without the other 2):
Eichel 45.8% xG, 44% goals
Skinner 49.7% xG, 48% goals
Reinhart 51.2% xG, 56% goals

cAnNoT dRiVe A lInE

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sam is playing for his 3rd lousy coach in 6 years with the Sabres. It can't be good for player development. Every time they start to settle into a system it changes.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Our 3 top forwards, "by themselves" (without the other 2):
Eichel 45.8% xG, 44% goals
Skinner 49.7% xG, 48% goals
Reinhart 51.2% xG, 56% goals

cAnNoT dRiVe A lInE
So you're basically saying Eichel is replaceable and Reinhart is the most valuable player in the league.

He's been disappointing this season, and has been basically riding Eichel's coattails, barely producing any points without him.

Reactions: schpaff

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
So you're basically saying Eichel is replaceable and Reinhart is the most valuable player in the league.

He's been disappointing this season, and has been basically riding Eichel's coattails, barely producing any points without him.
How many points do you expect him to get in a 100 minutes?

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I would say 5 as that would correlate to a ppg rate with a 20min/g avg ice time, I mean that's not too much to expect from a first line winger capable of driving his own line
Eichel and Reinhart each get 2 points per 60 minutes of 5on5 play, and that's when they're playing together...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Twins are usually pretty accurate with their predictions. This isn't going to make some people happy...

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Not opposed to a 3-4 year deal for Reinhart to keep that cap hit around 6 - 6.5 million per. If not, I'm not opposed to trading him for a comparable forward. His scoreless streak during Botterill's sad, little playoff push left a nasty taste in my mouth.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
:laugh:

9 mil for a 20-25 goal scorer carried by Eichel with rfa years left. Hopefully he signs an offer sheet Reinhart is a passenger period. Weak, soft, and if Eichel isn't humming Sam sure ain't. The fact we have some Reinhart fans as recent as last summer say Sam > Draisaitl and Sam = best player from 2014. Not even close. Not even top 5 from 2014.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
The Twins are usually pretty accurate with their predictions. This isn't going to make some people happy...

That's only their predictions for an 8 year contract term.

They predict a $7.1M AAV for a 5 year term, or a $7.4M AAV for a 6 year term.

Their actual model predicts a term of 5.4 years for $7.535M, so basically they think Sam will sign for 5 or 6 years for somewhere around $7.5M AAV

(Yeah I finally broke down and spent the $5 :laugh:)

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
:laugh:

9 mil for a 20-25 goal scorer carried by Eichel with rfa years left. Hopefully he signs an offer sheet Reinhart is a passenger period. Weak, soft, and if Eichel isn't humming Sam sure ain't. The fact we have some Reinhart fans as recent as last summer say Sam > Draisaitl and Sam = best player from 2014. Not even close. Not even top 5 from 2014.

I love your take on Reinhart; it's all spot on. If the Sabres were actually good enough to make the playoffs, Sabres fans would have seen by now how Reinhart disappears in the playoffs when intensity gets ratcheted up 1000%.

This guy is incapable of winning 1-0n-1 battles and is utterly incapable of driving his own line, which is one of the greatest problems on this team currently.

My greatest fear is that we will--again--be stuck with some super long K for this guy making way too much money.

And then people will wonder why half of Eichel's career is over and we can't get over the hump.

He should be traded immediately, but for comparable value--which I have no faith in Botterill to accomplish.

And here's an interesting twist--not so much if, but WHEN the regular season is pronounced "finished" what happens to Botterill? I fear he is going to survive in part due to the strange ending to this season.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
So many people find a reason to hate this guy. Here comes the contract to do to continue that trend. Only fitting.

Hockey is really screwed up nowadays. When did a guy like Reinhart turn into a $72 million player?!

Good God.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I love your take on Reinhart; it's all spot on. If the Sabres were actually good enough to make the playoffs, Sabres fans would have seen by now how Reinhart disappears in the playoffs when intensity gets ratcheted up 1000%.

This guy is incapable of winning 1-0n-1 battles and is utterly incapable of driving his own line, which is one of the greatest problems on this team currently.

My greatest fear is that we will--again--be stuck with some super long K for this guy making way too much money.

And then people will wonder why half of Eichel's career is over and we can't get over the hump.

He should be traded immediately, but for comparable value--which I have no faith in Botterill to accomplish.

And here's an interesting twist--not so much if, but WHEN the regular season is pronounced "finished" what happens to Botterill? I fear he is going to survive in part due to the strange ending to this season.
Keep making things up, always good for a laugh!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->