Prospect Info: The all-encompassing Sam Morin thread [began in 2017]

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Not sure how anyone can expect Morin to step into the Flyers lineup off of a knee reconstruction & basically a missed year & be an upgrade over anything. Seems like incredibly wishful thinking.

Who said he'd be an upgrade? He has potential to be not-terrible and we just want him to get his shot.

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In all fairness who is moving anyone in front of the net for the flyers or phantoms? That old fashion cross check right into your hip and/or back.. not hard enough to knock you down but good enough to inflict pain and throw you off your game . Does anyone do it?Nope.

I actually do not remember a single cross checking penalty in last 3 year that occurred in front of our net....

I've seen other teams do it to our forwards on a regular basis.
The key is it's a veteran move, knowing just how far you can extend your arms on the cross check before you'll draw a penalty, so you want short "strokes" that aren't as obvious but distract the forward's attention and keep him off balance.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Who said he'd be an upgrade? He has potential to be not-terrible and we just want him to get his shot.
You don’t think there’ve been a lot of implications by posters that he’d be an upgrade to the top 6? I do.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Well....it doesn't take much to be an upgrade over MacDonald
Still talking about a guy with 3 career NHL games, coming off reconstructive knee surgery, who only played 15 AHL games a year ago.

Expecting him to step into an NHL defense on nothing but a 2 week AHL conditioning stint & be an upgrade over anyone playing regularly in the NHL is a tall task, IMO.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I've seen other teams do it to our forwards on a regular basis.
The key is it's a veteran move, knowing just how far you can extend your arms on the cross check before you'll draw a penalty, so you want short "strokes" that aren't as obvious but distract the forward's attention and keep him off balance.
and this is why I said.. when was the last time you saw a cross checking penalty that occurred in front of our net a good indicator that our D was trying to get physical but went over board.. I don't remember seeing that for a while from anyone...

Plus no one on this team knows how to attack stick.. or put stick in right position to block lanes from passing so some one pastranak does not have a good time .

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
You don’t think there’ve been a lot of implications by posters that he’d be an upgrade to the top 6? I do.

He has the potential to once he gets into game shape. Nobody is saying top 4, how is it ridiculous to envision him bouncing Hagg/AMac out of the top 6?

He will make mistakes and have growing pains no doubt but at least he still has potential to contribute more than those two bums.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Still talking about a guy with 3 career NHL games, coming off reconstructive knee surgery, who only played 15 AHL games a year ago.

Expecting him to step into an NHL defense on nothing but a 2 week AHL conditioning stint & be an upgrade over anyone playing regularly in the NHL is a tall task, IMO.
He’s a mystery box we need to open. Pure and simple. But it has to happen. Even if we dismiss Hagg, whose game has not really deviated from baseline from the ahl to the nhl and is replaceable, Macdonald getting time does nothing for the future of this team. Morin just getting time is a win in that we get some clarity as to who he is in the bigs. We’ve seen Hagg, we have a good idea who he is. This year is experiment time for the team, or it should be.

He may not upgrade jack and shit but we need to see him to be sure.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He’s a mystery box we need to open. Pure and simple. But it has to happen. Even if we dismiss Hagg, whose game has not really deviated from baseline from the ahl to the nhl and is replaceable, Macdonald getting time does nothing for the future of this team. Morin just getting time is a win in that we get some clarity as to who he is in the bigs. We’ve seen Hagg, we have a good idea who he is. This year is experiment time for the team, or it should be.

He may not upgrade jack and **** but we need to see him to be sure.

And if he shows no potential, fine, we know to move on.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
A human shaped pile of shit on skates would be an upgrade on MacDonald.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
He has the potential to once he gets into game shape. Nobody is saying top 4, how is it ridiculous to envision him bouncing Hagg/AMac out of the top 6?

He will make mistakes and have growing pains no doubt but at least he still has potential to contribute more than those two bums.
I have a very difficult time believing he’ll be ready to play as an NHL regular before the end of this season. Yet I’m anticipating a lot of fans blasting the team when they make him a “healthy” scratch.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
A human shaped pile of **** on skates would be an upgrade on MacDonald.
Well yeah. But I feel like I took some math class that if a pile of shit is greater than a Macdonald and you have another human shaped thing that is similar to Macdonald you can’t automatically say he is greater than. I really feel like this is the highest level of trigonometry or something.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Well yeah. But I feel like I took some math class that if a pile of **** is greater than a Macdonald and you have another human shaped thing that is similar to Macdonald you can’t automatically say he is greater than. I really feel like this is the highest level of trigonometry or something.
giphy-1.gif

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I have a very difficult time believing he’ll be ready to play as an NHL regular before the end of this season. Yet I’m anticipating a lot of fans blasting the team when they make him a “healthy” scratch.

Yeah, that's pretty much a given, including me. Lol

Witnessing a "more than ready" Myers sitting again doesn't bode well for Morin most likely.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

My point is all we need Morin to do is be a better option than MacDonald, which isnt that hard. Morin can come in a make rookie mistakes, which are the same mistakes MacDonald makes, even as a 10 year NHL veteran

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

Even if he's not ready, he still needs to get some games in.

It's good to know you're pre-emptively being contrarian though.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
My point is all we need Morin to do is be a better option than MacDonald, which isnt that hard. Morin can come in a make rookie mistakes, which are the same mistakes MacDonald makes, even as a 10 year NHL veteran
You don’t want to throw him into a situation he’s not ready for physically and/ or mentally, either.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
i just want to see him play. we're not making the playoffs. this is the time to see what we have with certain players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad