Prospect Info: The all-encompassing Sam Morin thread [began in 2017]

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Good first appearance, but obviously need to see more.

Thrilled he's getting some opportunity in the big league!

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Meltzer's take.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...ose-Road-Finale-in-OT-1-0--to-Devils/45/84277

Morin's first NHL game wasn't flawless but there was significantly more good than bad in his 24 shifts and 17:47 of total ice time. The 6-foot-7 defenseman was credited with a game-high seven hits, a takeaway and two shots on goal including a good scoring opportunity. In perhaps his most notable sequences, he made three straight good defensive plays near the blueline, accelerated quickly to harass Taylor Hall from behind without taking a penalty on a developing breakaway and, in another sequence, used his long reach to get to a loose puck ahead of two New Jersey players in the vicinity. Overall, he and Shayne Gostisbehere did well as a duo, with Gostisbehere having a particularly strong game.

Morin had a few dicey shifts, but nothing egregious. There was a turnover (not charged as a giveaway) when he tried to go up the wall with the puck in the waning seconds of the first period rather than hanging onto the puck and trying to tie up along the half boards. A couple times, his work-in-progress coverages of forwards attacking with speed to the outside came into play but he recovered.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Looked solid last night. The fact he caught up to Hall and broke up a breakaway shows how special he is defensively.

For his 1st game I was very pleased how he played. For sure he is in the starting lineup next season. What a quick big boy!
I would like Bill to break down MDZ's game vs Sam's last night.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He'll learn the positioning over time, when he does I can see him being a really strong defender. He's so hard to get around or through

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Looked like he belonged for most of the night. Nothing spectacular, nothing awful. As Meltzer noted, he had a couple nice shifts and couple stinkers, but that's to be expected. I really liked his enthusiasm and excitement. You don't really see that too much even with the younger guys.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There's no difference in meaning between what he told either group; he thinks MacDonald is a top 4 defensemen which should not come as a surprise because he uses him like one, as did MacDonald's previous two coaches. The question itself is quite embarrassing because it is based on ignorance of the fact the there are lots of defensemen in the league with low Corsi Rel who play as much or more than MacDonald does. He's not a special case.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...eamid=0&type=corsi&sort=PCTRelTM&sortdir=DESC

Which goes back to my original point that anyone who assumes that a new coach will do the opposite of Hakstol is just engaging in wishful thinking.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
There's no difference in meaning between what he told either group; he thinks MacDonald is a top 4 defensemen which should not come as a surprise because he uses him like one, as did MacDonald's previous two coaches. The question itself is quite embarrassing because it is based on ignorance of the fact the there are lots of defensemen in the league with low Corsi Rel who play as much or more than MacDonald does. He's not a special case.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...eamid=0&type=corsi&sort=PCTRelTM&sortdir=DESC

Which goes back to my original point that anyone who assumes that a new coach will do the opposite of Hakstol is just engaging in wishful thinking.[/QUOTE]

Well stated. The only reason MacDonald is a whipping boy on this site is his salary not his play and that is not his fault. Anyone here who says they would turn down a few million a year is a liar.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
his size and stature out there...really looks like the reincarnation of Pronger [we should hope we're that lucky]

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
There's a lot to like about having Morin on the team. His personality and enthusiasm seem infectious; his size is an asset; he should eventually be great on the PK.

But Morin really scares me with the puck on his stick. He does not see the ice well at all, and he has hard hands when it comes to puckhandling and passing. This is where playing with Ghost is a huge help.

Did it stand out to anyone else that when they showed a close-up replay of Morin with the puck last night how often he kept peeking down at the puck? Man. It would be like seeing a guard in the NBA constantly looking down at the ball as he dribbled. Not something you tend to see with those who make it to the highest level.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Which goes back to my original point that anyone who assumes that a new coach will do the opposite of Hakstol is just engaging in wishful thinking.[/QUOTE]

Well stated. The only reason MacDonald is a whipping boy on this site is his salary not his play and that is not his fault. Anyone here who says they would turn down a few million a year is a liar.

No. It's because he sucks. He would get grief if he was making $700,000 a year. It just wouldn't be as constant.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There's a lot to like about having Morin on the team. His personality and enthusiasm seem infectious; his size is an asset; he should eventually be great on the PK.

But Morin really scares me with the puck on his stick. He does not see the ice well at all, and he has hard hands when it comes to puckhandling and passing. This is where playing with Ghost is a huge help.

Did it stand out to anyone else that when they showed a close-up replay of Morin with the puck last night how often he kept peeking down at the puck? Man. It would be like seeing a guard in the NBA constantly looking down at the ball as he dribbled. Not something you tend to see with those who make it to the highest level.

He made some great passes last night, seeing the ice wasn't an issue. Not worried about his puck handling at all.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He was getting pounded in front of the net on the PK at one point. I wonder if he was concerned about taking another penalty. Seemed timid. I want that dude killing people.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He was getting pounded in front of the net on the PK at one point. I wonder if he was concerned about taking another penalty. Seemed timid. I want that dude killing people.

He saw Konecny get punished for taking a penalty so he knew if he took one he'd be done.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Morin has to be careful because the refs will be looking to call cheap penalties on the giant rookie. He can't help our PK if he's the one in the box.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yep, We saw that with Gudas, it's easy to get a "reputation" with the refs, and hard to get rid of it - Morin will be an obvious magnet, just because his clean hits will look dirty against smaller players, and as a rookie, he's going to get challenged by goons wanting to take the big man down.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Morin will have a long developmental curve. But, eventually he will be a monster.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Not sure why you say he doesn't see the ice well. He made some very nice passes last night. A few were mishandled....like the Giroux one, but that is on G. He passes the puck hard....which I don't think our forwards were expecting as they fumbled his passes a few times.

As for him peeking down...I think your example is off. It's not a guard looking down....it's Shaq/Howard. And plenty of times they do it when handling the ball.

In the end, he is a rookie, in his 1st game, where he was nervous, and where he noticed the speed difference. So "feeling" that speed difference, of course you will rush at times or make mistakes on reads. All part of the learning curve.

The best part about him is his attitude. And him KNOWING there is a speed difference, he will work on things this summer to help that.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We got lucky that Ghost and Provorov were great from the start.
Hopefully Morin's more normal development won't cause too many impatient tears around here. (it will)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->