Sam Katz floats idea of Heritage game - Jets vs Wild at the new stadium.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I don't have a link, but in a recent Winnipeg Sun article on page 2, Sam Katz offers up thoughts and opinions on various subjects, 1 of them being the idea of an outdoor game between the Jets and Wild in the new stadium. How badly would you like to see something like this happen?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
It would be a no brainer to be excited about the possibility!!! There would be a ton of profit and PR in doing so but until the strike is over and an NHL rep brings this idea up in the media.....I would not put much stock in Katz's comments besides a powder puff article to raise his political ratings.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
It would be a no brainer to be excited about the possibility!!! There would be a ton of profit and PR in doing so but until the strike is over and an NHL rep brings this idea up in the media.....I would not put much stock in Katz's comments besides a powder puff article to raise his political ratings.

I know that, but the topic is about the thought of the idea, not Sam Katz' push for another stab at Mayor.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I know that, but the topic is about the thought of the idea, not Sam Katz' push for another stab at Mayor.

I know thats why I said it would be a no brainer and a great idea which would create a ton of profit and good PR for us. :yo: Just dont want to get my hopes up :laugh:

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I think it will happen.
I just dont think the wild would be the opponent.

I am thinking vancouver, as they have yet to be in an outdoor game

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
When the Jets enter the Western Confrence and the Wild become their division opponents ...... they should have a home and away outdoor clasic..... each team hosting an outdoor game..... one the 1st weekend and the other city the next weekend...... what a way to start a rivalry...... each team could hold 10 000 seats to be sold to the visiting teams fans and have an visiting team section........The NHL should be paying HFBOARD menbers for these marketing ideas......:):nod:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
When the Jets enter the Western Confrence and the Wild become their division opponents ...... they should have a home and away outdoor clasic..... each team hosting an outdoor game..... one the 1st weekend and the other city the next weekend...... what a way to start a rivalry...... each team could hold 10 000 seats to be sold to the visiting teams fans and have an visiting team section........The NHL should be paying HFBOARD menbers for these marketing ideas......:):nod:

It would be a lot of fun that's for sure.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think it will happen.
I just dont think the wild would be the opponent.

I am thinking vancouver, as they have yet to be in an outdoor game

I agree.

I'm pretty sure the Jets will get one, but i think a Canadian team would be the opponent a la the other Heritage Classics.

Since the Habs have been in the other two, i would suspect they would NOT be the opponent in a Jets hosted game. I would think the Canucks, Sens or Leafs would be the opponent, though the Leafs will be in the Winter Classic with the Wings, so they may not be the desired opposition either.

Between the Canucks and Sens, i'm leaning towards the Canucks, though a game against the Oil and RNH, Ebs, Hall, Yak, Schultz, would be fun to see. Maybe our 'legends' team may finally beat the Oiler 'legends'. Not counting on it. ;)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This is not a political thread. The ONLY relevance that Sam Katz has is that he suggested the idea, giving it some kind of weight.

Talk about the game, not politics.

I absolutely love the idea, but I don't really dig the Wild as the opponent. I would rather it be the Canucks. There are still hockey ties there and as was stated earlier, they haven't been in an outdoor game yet.

No matter the opponent, I would try extremely hard to get tickets for it. It may be one of those situations where we wished we had build a bigger stadium :)

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

I like this idea the most so far!

The proximity is just great between the two cities in comparison to Van. and would be much easier for fans of both teams to make the trip to either city. It would be nice if they bucked the trend and went Cdn vs. U.S. for the Heritage Classic with a Jets vs Wild.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I don't think it has to be a heritage classic, just a regular matchup between the Jets and Wild should they end up in the same division (which would seem logical). They're both cold enough to pull it off regularly and there is substantial kinship between Minnesota and Winnipeg/Manitoba already. Play a home and home series, both outdoors as DYB17 suggested.

It would be nice to have a heritage classic but this would be a great tradition to start on an annual basis without the need for input from the league itself. Minnesota seems like a natural rival for the Jets - proximity, climate, familiarity of the people in the two regions, both have lost and regained NHL teams. It all works.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Great idea, and it should be the Wild b/c they are our local rivals. We have a hell of a lot more in common with our neighbours to the south than Vancouver-ites. Living and breathing hockey, sleddin', ice fishing, actually having winter, etc.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Agree with the calls for a Jets / Wild matchup - if this co-incides with a re-alignment, even better. Good way to start a rivalry. A home and home with the Wild would be quite a party, I think.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think it has to be a heritage classic, just a regular matchup between the Jets and Wild should they end up in the same division (which would seem logical). They're both cold enough to pull it off regularly and there is substantial kinship between Minnesota and Winnipeg/Manitoba already. Play a home and home series, both outdoors as DYB17 suggested.

It would be nice to have a heritage classic but this would be a great tradition to start on an annual basis without the need for input from the league itself. Minnesota seems like a natural rival for the Jets - proximity, climate, familiarity of the people in the two regions, both have lost and regained NHL teams. It all works.

Maybe have a home and home over the long weekend in February. I believe Louis Reil day and president's day usually match up. Have a Saturday - Monday game surrounded by a whole whack of other outdoor activities and thousand's of people making the trip to each others cities.

Noisespektrum

Jun 11, 2011
new york city
good idea, a US team should get a chance at playin the Her. game if a Canadian team is playing the Win. game. The Jets/Wild in Winnipeg sounds like it would be more fun than a Tor/Det Win. game for some reason.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
good idea, a US team should get a chance at playin the Her. game if a Canadian team is playing the Win. game. The Jets/Wild in Winnipeg sounds like it would be more fun than a Tor/Det Win. game for some reason.

It would be more fun here haha

This town would be off the hook (do kids stay say that these days? :laugh:)

Reed Solomon

GO ✈'s GO
Jul 26, 2011
Winnipeg, Man.
It's going to happen sooner or later. I'd love it. People can bring the entire family for once and enjoy the game outside (plus the stadium seems to have reasonable shelter against the elements)

No reason not to do a heritage classic with Minnesota. Ottawa-Vancouver, Toronto-Montreal, Calgary-Edmonton, Winnipeg - Minnesota (until the Nordiques come back I guess)

The NHL can do two games on saturday and two on a sunday and make it an event that goes on the whole weekend.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Feel free to shart on me, but I have next to zero interest in watching an outdoor in a Winnipeg February. Unless we get blessed with some lucky weather it could be awful.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
A lot of you are calling for a dramatic increase in the # of outdoor games. Having a home-and-home outdoor series, for example.

But the NHL is rightly concerned about diluting the Winter Classic brand, and rightly so. At the end of the day an outdoor game is just a gimmick. It's taking standard old NHL hockey and putting it in a different environment. And once you put the gimmick aside, the hockey itself isn't as good. The ice tends to be poor unless the weather is just perfect. Because games are played in baseball or football fields the in-person fans sit way too far away from the ice.

I would love to see Winnipeg get a Heritage Classic. I think it will happen in the fairly short term - the ones in Edmonton and Calgary were big hits, but there are few other locations which could host an outdoor game right now (stadiums in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal all have roofs, and the other alternatives have fewer seats than the existing arenas). So Winnipeg is the only other option.

When Landsdowne is rebuilt maybe Ottawa will get a Heritage classic, but that's about the only other option.

But don't expect it to be any more than it is - an occasional once-per-year gimmick game.

1430MaroonsRoad

Sep 14, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I always thought Minnesota would be a suitable opponent for the Jets in an outdoor game.

Remember, the NHL was reportedly looking into Winnipeg hosting an outdoor game at some point:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387459

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/outdoor-game-a-possibility-138915999.html

The possibility of Winnipeg hosting an outdoor game is part of the reason why I subscribed to the Jets wait list and to Blue Bombers season tickets. For Calgary's Heritage Classic, the Flames "Hot House" members were taken care of in terms of acquiring tickets to the Heritage Classic, as well as a few Stampeders season ticket holders. Hoping for the same here.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
A lot of you are calling for a dramatic increase in the # of outdoor games. Having a home-and-home outdoor series, for example.

But the NHL is rightly concerned about diluting the Winter Classic brand, and rightly so. At the end of the day an outdoor game is just a gimmick. It's taking standard old NHL hockey and putting it in a different environment. And once you put the gimmick aside, the hockey itself isn't as good. The ice tends to be poor unless the weather is just perfect. Because games are played in baseball or football fields the in-person fans sit way too far away from the ice.

I would love to see Winnipeg get a Heritage Classic. I think it will happen in the fairly short term - the ones in Edmonton and Calgary were big hits, but there are few other locations which could host an outdoor game right now (stadiums in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal all have roofs, and the other alternatives have fewer seats than the existing arenas). So Winnipeg is the only other option.

When Landsdowne is rebuilt maybe Ottawa will get a Heritage classic, but that's about the only other option.

But don't expect it to be any more than it is - an occasional once-per-year gimmick game.

I agree the hockey isn't as good, but every team playing 82 (!) regular season games already dilutes the product enough as it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->