Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
At this point in time.

Girard has the higher floor...

But Makar has the higher ceiling...

I have a weakness for dynamic Dmen like Makar, DeAngelo, Karlsson, Dahlin, etc. So I choose Makar.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Haven't seen Girard this year admittedly, but always viewed him as more of a top4 offensive dman than some sort of star, while Makar definitely has star upside and is an absolutely electric talent.

FWIW the most impressive part of Girard's game is his defense; kid's basically a left-shooting Spurgeon at 20.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
What makes him likely to be better than Girard? Girard is just half a year older, remember.
That question will be answered only by time, we will see how it goes but im one of those that believe Makar could become the best player from his draft. Think about it

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I've gotten to see a few more of Makar's games at UMass recently and I don't think he should be seen as a low-floor kind of guy like he was when he was drafted. His skating is perfection - acceleration, lateral, top speed, you name it - and that allows him to cover for his own mistakes most of the time. He's got a high floor, a second pair NHLer at the lowest.

Upside is more about production and it's much harder to project offensive production at the next level, or to even make projections for what a 20 year old NHLer will do at 25. He's got a heavier wrister than Girard but I don't feel as confident in making predictions about their scoring upside.

In some ways they're similar players. Both guys are relatively short, they're smart, and they're as slippery as any D you'll ever see.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Avs better hope it's Makar and that's not a knock on SG. He's just not the franchise or even top true pairing D they need.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Girard is a top pairing quality defenseman already so he definitely has the higher floor. I take Makar’s ceiling though.

Reactions: avsfan09

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
The likes of Girard and Makar also need that opportunity to rise to the next level. Right now that opportunity is on the first pp, and Barries the king

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Girard has a 40 point ceiling and Makar has a 70 point ceiling. Still like Girard a lot. He's, while undersized, a very impressive two way defender with fantastic agility on his skates.

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
kale-in-rustic-basket-on-daylight-close-up-royalty-free-image-628364204-1533848320.jpg

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
How good is Makar defensively?

He's fairly good. He's sturdy and smart. He's like all new NHL defenders not used to a NHL forecheck, so he gets sometimes overwhelmed by the pressure. He'll figure it out eventually.

Reactions: cgf

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Girard is a magician (bad start this year, though) but Makar is... I don't know what he is yet. Just so very, very good both offensively and defensively. If he keeps it up, of course.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
How good is Makar defensively?

Currently or how good does it project to be in his prime? ATM he's still figuring things out & can be flustered by heavy forechecks...and like all rookies has had both ups & downs this season...but his two-way potential is a big part of his appeal as well; thus why so many of us have been comparing him to Keith rather than Karlsson, ever since that first prospect camp he participated in as an Av.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Girard is a magician (bad start this year, though) but Makar is... I don't know what he is yet. Just so very, very good both offensively and defensively. If he keeps it up, of course.

He's what MacK would've become if Nate had grown up playing on the blueline. I've said it before, but Cale has the talent to become our best player.

Reactions: missionAvs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->