Sam Girard vs. Cale Makar

Which do you take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
Who would you rather have? I know a lot of you will be like "Oh wow, what a dumb poll! Cale hasnt even played in the NHL yet! Ofc its Girard omg."

Question is, does Makar's [possibly] higher ceiling make him the higher value piece. In other words, do you take $100 (a pretty much sure thing proven talent) or risk losing everything on 50% chance for $500 (Higher potential but higher risk). The choice is yours.

Reactions: TheRarestDangles

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Makar's ceiling is overrated. Girard has a higher ceiling.

Tramux

Habs
Apr 27, 2016
Finland
Before this season would have been saying Makar but Girard looks so damn good its hard to not go with him until we see more with Makar

Reactions: Gecklund

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
NO. THAT'S THE POINT. It's about potential value.
I mean, if you're forced to choose, you pick the almost sure thing top pairing D over the likely top pairing D.

Ceiling for potential is too variable for defensemen to try to nail down their ceilings more specifically than that

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
What makes him likely to be better than Girard? Girard is just half a year older, remember.
He's a few feet taller, seems to have more offensive weapons than Girard (if they translate to the NHL), hes just an insanely talented dude. He's a huge wildcard though. I feel like he'll either melt people's faces off or he'll kind of suck and disappoint everyone.

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
He's a few feet taller, seems to have more offensive weapons than Girard (if they translate to the NHL), hes just an insanely talented dude. He's a huge wildcard though. I feel like he'll either melt people's faces off or he'll kind of suck and disappoint everyone.
yeah i agree! personally i think its a close call. i voted G but you really cant go wrong with either of these guys.

Reactions: TheRarestDangles

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
if makar busts I still him him being a decent puck moving d man who can skate with his IQ skating passing I think he'll be just fine. but Girard till then.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

Heard a rumour from a friend of a friend that goes to a certain college that Makar is 5 ft 10.8 inches.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think Girard's offensive weapons are being underrated. You do realize he's 20 years old at 0.5 PPG pace in NHL, right? Makar on the other hand has proven nothing, just does well in a junior league. It's not even pro level.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Question is, does Makar's [possibly] higher ceiling make him the higher value piece. In other words, do you take $100 (a pretty much sure thing proven talent) or risk losing everything on 50% chance for $500 (Higher potential but higher risk). The choice is yours.

The framing on this seems all backwards. Girard looks to me to have the higher ceiling, and isn't all that proven. Makar's skills are unremarkable in comparison to Girard but he's big enough and developing in a well-rounded way so that you don't worry about him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm glad we don't have to make this decision. Cale has more raw talent & a higher ceiling, while being a smart kid in his ownd right; but seeing Girard doing the special things that he does to NHLers makes it hard not to pick him.

Probably gunna vote Makar because of that greater upside, but both are special talents.
The framing on this seems all backwards. Girard looks to me to have the higher ceiling, and isn't all that proven. Makar's skills are unremarkable in comparison to Girard but he's big enough and developing in a well-rounded way so that you don't worry about him.

Well that's just not true. Makar's a much better shooter and a much more explosive skater than Girard; while having amazing hands himself.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Neither one of them is allowed to get on any of the fun rides at 6 flags.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Haven't seen Girard this year admittedly, but always viewed him as more of a top4 offensive dman than some sort of star, while Makar definitely has star upside and is an absolutely electric talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad