Sam Gagner

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Is there any defense or goaltending in the OHL. I watched Gagner play 8 times last year in the USHL, and I agree he is a talented player. BUT, 32 points in 9 games tells me the "O" is a joke defensively.

The officials call way too many penalties IMO.
How often do team get into double digits with their power play opportunities in the USHL?

David McConnor

Unregistered User
Aug 30, 2006
Alert, Nunavut
Is there any defense or goaltending in the OHL. I watched Gagner play 8 times last year in the USHL, and I agree he is a talented player. BUT, 32 points in 9 games tells me the "O" is a joke defensively.

You couldn't be more wrong. The fact Gagner is so far ahead of the #2 leading scorer (Pat Kane, by 9 points, just barely into the season) shows that.

The Q has always been a joke defensively.

The W has always been a joke because it's talentless trap-based style hinders the development of their goalies, who very rarely succeed at the next level.

The O is the perfect blend.

dell

Oct 5, 2005
Come on. I am really not knocking Gagner at all here. But, when you look at stats in the O, guys have 30 points already, and are plus 6. That doesn't jive. That tells me, tons of power plays, and those guys play all the time, and play little defense, so they are getting almost as many minus's, as plus's(sp).

Example. Last year, Robbie Schremp had 145 points, but was only plus 17. There is a disconnect there.

I am a USHL guy. I am not saying the USHL is better. I think both the USHL and the CHL are a personal choice, depends on what you want, or where you project. I totally suupport players that go either route. I am just trying to understand the disconnect between points and plus/minus.

Last year in the USHL, Trevor Lewis had 75 points, and was plus 25.

CH Wizard

Luc Bourdon, Keith Yandle, Ray Bourque, Jiri Fischer, JJ Daigneault, Sylvain Cote, Yves Racine, Patrice Brisebois...

I think, he meant...there are way too much goals scored each year, he wasn't saying this league hasn't produced good defenceman's over the past years.

David McConnor

Unregistered User
Aug 30, 2006
Alert, Nunavut
Come on. I am really not knocking Gagner at all here. But, when you look at stats in the O, guys have 30 points already, and are plus 6.

Guys have 30 points? Since when do you refer to ONE player as plural? Sam Gagner is the only guy with 30+ pts, with 31. The next closest has 22. That is what kills your point. If a bunch of players, not just one, were putting up well over 3 points per game, you'd have a point.

In fact, at 3.44 pts per game, Gagner is producing at an entire point per game greater than Pat Kane, the OHL's 2nd leading scorer. But somehow you want to taint this incredibleness.

David McConnor

Unregistered User
Aug 30, 2006
Alert, Nunavut
Luc Bourdon, Keith Yandle, Ray Bourque, Jiri Fischer, JJ Daigneault, Sylvain Cote, Yves Racine, Patrice Brisebois...

I'm assuming that your mentioning of Patrice Breezeby as among the eight greatest defenseman to ever come from the Q indicates that you concur with my assessment of that league being a defensive joke.

gis16*

Sam Gagner??

Is he a possible 1s round draft? When is he available? What a start i've got!!:bow:

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Is he a possible 1s round draft? When is he available? What a start i've got!!:bow:

hes a lock for the 1st round, has been for a while

where will he be on the list? i think 1st overall but every gm has a different opinion

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
I'm assuming that your mentioning of Patrice Breezeby as among the eight greatest defenseman to ever come from the Q indicates that you concur with my assessment of that league being a defensive joke.

You do realize that the OHL has more goals scored per game than the LHJMQ or the WHL, right? How can you say it's the perfect blend while the 'Q' is a joke defensively?

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You do realize that the OHL has more goals scored per game than the LHJMQ or the WHL, right? How can you say it's the perfect blend while the 'Q' is a joke defensively?

He's an OHL homer. Hence him saying the Q and WHL have "always been jokes". :shakehead All three leagues offer something different. No need to slag the others in favour of one.

dell

Oct 5, 2005
I believe I started my last post with, I think Gagner is a great player. My point is, how can you put up those kind of numbers, and have such a low PLUS?

When you look at the 3 CHL leagues from an outsider perspective, the WHL looks like the most realistic stats wise. Closer to what these guys will see in the NHL or AHL.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Example. Last year, Robbie Schremp had 145 points, but was only plus 17. There is a disconnect there.

The disconnect is that a whole lot of his points came on the PP - the knights were only an average team playing 5 on 5 last year and that's why he was only a plus 17.

I think what many are overlooking here is the knights have lots of talent and a system that allows the top guys on the team to flourish.

If you're put on the knights PP, you will get a lot of points. Gagner is simply the best at doing that on the team this year. Put Gagner on a crappier team with less talented linemates and while he will get his points, he certainly won't get as many.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com

Those were just 8 off the top of my head. And the point I was going to make about the OHL being the highest-scoring league in the CHL has already been made, so I'll just say that since you're obviously under 18, if you had actually been paying attention, the Q hasn't been a defensive joke since you've been following hockey.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
I am a USHL guy. I am not saying the USHL is better. I think both the USHL and the CHL are a personal choice, depends on what you want, or where you project. I totally suupport players that go either route. I am just trying to understand the disconnect between points and plus/minus.

Last year in the USHL, Trevor Lewis had 75 points, and was plus 25.

Well Dell, Gagner's stats may be due to a few things.

For one it could be that he is surronded by top qualtiy linemates and players, somthing that he never had in Sioux City of the USHL. After all, both Gagner and Trevor Lewis have publically stated that there is marked difference in the talent level between the OHL and the USHL (with the OHL having more of it, of course)

It could also be due to the fact that he is receiving enormous amounts of special teams time, something that he did not receive last year because the USHL had not yet cracked down on obstruction penalties.

Third, how do you know that he would not be putting up these kind of numbers had he remained in the USHL this year? You mentioned T. Lewis stats in the USHL last year, but are you aware that he is putting up similiar stats in the O last year (and as I already stated, sits at number 22 in overall scoring), meaning that as of now, he can in no way considered to be the best player in the league despite the fact of him being what player of the year last year in the USHL. It seems to me that Gagner probably would have lit up the USHL this year as well. Afterall, it seems that scoring is also up in the USHL this year as well, with the leading pointgetter averaging 2.5pts per game

Lastly, we must also assume that Gagner is finally putting it all together in harnessing his imense talent and that he would have thrived in any league.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
I havent read one post in this thread I just wanted to point out how funny I think it is that Gagner couldnt average 1 point per game last season in the USHL and is averaging 3 in the OHL.

Yes that's absolutely hilarious. Perhaps in addition to not reading this thread you should consider not posting as well.

David McConnor

Unregistered User
Aug 30, 2006
Alert, Nunavut
Those were just 8 off the top of my head. And the point I was going to make about the OHL being the highest-scoring league in the CHL has already been made, so I'll just say that since you're obviously under 18, if you had actually been paying attention, the Q hasn't been a defensive joke since you've been following hockey.

Just naming random d-man. Oh wow, what an intelligent argument to make your point. Nevermind that no matter what kind of list you can come up with, it's squashed by the lists produced by the other junior leagues.

I'm not obviously under 18, but what does age have to do with it? At age 5 I understood hockey more than you ever will. Go back to the library and sort books.

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
The reason he is averaging 3 points a game isnt because of the ohl's crappy dmen... it's the Hunters system and the amount of powerplay time Sam Gagner is getting... put a guy with as much skill as Sam Gagner playing with Sergei Kostitsyn, David Meckler, Patrick Kane and insert one of (Drummond,Beaulieu,Perry) and you will get lots of points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad