Sam Gagner

Oct 30, 2011
Since he'll return to the line-up soon, we might as well discuss what he brings to the table.

GP:414 Goals:91 Assists:167 TP: 258 +/-: -48 Powerplay goals: 29 - SHG: 1 - GWG: 6 S%:10.57

Career FO%: ~43%

http://stats.tabita.org/faceoffs/player/sam_gagner

weird little statline is that he seems to be better at winning them on the PP and in the offensive zone

In the preseason, he played 3 games and had 1 goal.

He is a shifty forward with great hands. His skating has improved since he got in the league, but he doesn't have great speed. He is not afraid of the corners. He had a career season last year, albeit a shortened one.

He's still recovering from his broken jaw, but will probably return soon. slight update : Gagner won't be on the 2-game roadtrip, looking like more then a week till his return

I think he'll have an immediate impact on the PP when he returns.

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Dont care about his stats or skills..
If he can get Yakupov scoring he has done his job.

2Sedins0Cups

Clever ain't wise.
Jul 29, 2013
Edmonton
Dont care about his stats or skills..
If he can get Yakupov scoring he has done his job.

Agreed. I don't think the line last year was especially good at tilting the ice the right way, but he did seem to have chemistry with Yak.

I'd like to see ??/Gags/Yak get the soft minutes. RNH and, surprisingly, Arco have proved they can deal with D zone starts and tougher match ups than Gags has in the past. Or start him on the wing, at least until Hall gets back.

SterlingArcher

Mar 11, 2013
They play very well together. If Yak gets going, both of them are going to be producing

Agreed they do. So

Hall-Gagner-Yakupov (great chemistry last year very offence heavy more of a second line)
Joensuu-Hopkins-Eberle (RNH and Ebs can play together feel they could use a net driver and grit)
Perron-Arcobello-Hemsky (two way line solid chemistry can play really against any line)
Smyth-Gordon-Pitlick (not a true fourth line more of a shutdown grinder third line can play 10-15 min)

Looks balanced no??

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I concur with those that say Gagner and Yakupov should line up together.

I have no clue how they're going to do it though with RNH - Arcobello - Gordon - Acton currently making up the center depth. Gordon's too important to be playing with 4th line wingers and minutes. Maybe Gagner to RW and Yak to LW on a Gordon line? I dunno.

If the lineup stays the same till he gets back, I could totally see Jones - Gordon - Gagner and Pitlick to the 4th line bumps Eager out of the lineup.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I concur with those that say Gagner and Yakupov should line up together.

I have no clue how they're going to do it though with RNH - Arcobello - Gordon - Acton currently making up the center depth. Gordon's too important to be playing with 4th line wingers and minutes. Maybe Gagner to RW and Yak to LW on a Gordon line? I dunno.

If the lineup stays the same till he gets back, I could totally see Jones - Gordon - Gagner and Pitlick to the 4th line bumps Eager out of the lineup.
Should be fine if Gordon gets Smyth and Pitlick as wingers. Even Jones should be fine. Acton was playing upwards of 15 mins per game at the beginning of season due special teams while his wingers were getting 5 mins each.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Agreed they do. So

Hall-Gagner-Yakupov (great chemistry last year very offence heavy more of a second line)
Joensuu-Hopkins-Eberle (RNH and Ebs can play together feel they could use a net driver and grit)
Perron-Arcobello-Hemsky (two way line solid chemistry can play really against any line)
Smyth-Gordon-Pitlick (not a true fourth line more of a shutdown grinder third line can play 10-15 min)

Looks balanced no??

We need enforcer in there.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Our 7th year, nearly $5m/year player needs to be sheltered by a 20 year old string bean and a career AHLer.

2Sedins0Cups

Clever ain't wise.
Jul 29, 2013
Edmonton
Should be fine if Gordon gets Smyth and Pitlick as wingers. Even Jones should be fine. Acton was playing upwards of 15 mins per game at the beginning of season due special teams while his wingers were getting 5 mins each.

Acton's game high for TOI is just over 11 minutes (and that was in the Van blowout game) and he's usually under 10, averaging under 8 so far this season. Definitely isn't, or ever was, playing upwards of 15 minutes. So they would have to work to get Gordon minutes in a 4th line role. I think they would be wasting Gordon in a 4th line role. Not sure Gazdic can be effective alongside him on a shutdown line.

If Gordon is 4th line, just double shift wingers in Gazdic's place most of the game. That I don't mind.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Would like to see this lineup fully healthy.

Hall-Gagner-Yakupov
Joensuu-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Acrobello-Hemsky
Smyth-Gordon-Jones

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
He was traveling with the team on this past stretch wasn't he? He must be really close to coming back.

I suspect that he wants to be in team meetings, attend practices and to generally stay as close to the team as possible so he knows exactly what is going on when he steps back into the lineup.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Gagner would be better off a s a RW. Maybe he replaces Hemsky there eventually.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Agreed they do. So

Looks balanced no??

I really like this. Every line looks like it can contribute consistently. First line has Hall to drive the play, and Gagner and Yak as a one-timer set-up man and finisher duo. Second line is skilled and has a banger that can actually play. 3rd line can all handle tough minutes while still being very effective offensive players; this is a 2nd line on most teams. 4th line looks like they could actually give some decent minutes and at least break-even on most nights. Gordon as a 4C is awesome if we still give him ~10 minutes + PK, Pitlick does exactly what you want in a bottom 6 player, as long as he plays like he did last night, and Smyth can still be useful in certain capacities around the net and is fairly reliable defensively. I like that all 12 guys can contribute, no "wasted" roster spots like with Brown etc in the lineup.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I really hope he, Yakupov and Joensuu become the third line. All three of those players will thrive offensively if they're put together. Their abilities and skill sets are perfect for one-another. Gagner is the playmaker, Yak the sniper and Joensuu runs the interference.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
I suspect that he wants to be in team meetings, attend practices and to generally stay as close to the team as possible so he knows exactly what is going on when he steps back into the lineup.

If those are primarily his reasons for being with the team, and not because he was close to returning, good on him.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
If and when we're fully healthy, I'd like to see:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Arco-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Gordon-Pitlick
Acton, Gazdic

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

He's been practicing too, filling in for players who can't practice (maintenance days and what not). At very least he'll be getting used to wearing the cheese grater.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad