Sam Gagner Appreciation

Oct 15, 2008
I don’t think so. I doubt he needs the money, and I doubt he wants to live the AHL life. I think he retires and gets a front office job as a ambassador for the team or something like that.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Oof.

And I quit a job that demanded I work Overtime when my kid was a few weeks old.

First i told them to f*** themselves, then dared them to fire me while I was about to leave for 5 months on parental leave (they'd have been on the hook for nearly 2 years of salary).

Then quit shortly after I came back.

Maybe it's just me, but my wife makes a great salary too, and if I were him I'd simply ask the team to suspend me for a few months while not reporting.

He's already a millionaire, and his wife is a doctor. Nothing on this planet is worth missing those first few months.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Oof.

First i told them to **** themselves, then dared them to fire me while I was about to leave for 5 months on parental leave (they'd have been on the hook for nearly 2 years of salary).

Maybe it's just me, but my wife makes a great salary too, and if I were him I'd simply ask the team to suspend me for a few months while not reporting.

He's already a millionaire, and his wife is a doctor. Nothing on this planet is worth missing those first few months.

Let's be honest the first 3 months is a blur. It has to be or else why would you do it more than once LOL

Oct 15, 2008
Oof.

First i told them to **** themselves, then dared them to fire me while I was about to leave for 5 months on parental leave (they'd have been on the hook for nearly 2 years of salary).

I made that mistake with my eldest. Never did that again. You are so right.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Although I doubt he would've become much more than he was today, I wish the Oilers were patient with this player when they drafted him. Sammy's always had more than enough heart to make up for his lack of size.

f*** you Ryan Kesler you greasy ho.

Reactions: Coffey and ujju2

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Not sure if this is the end for him.

I appreciate the good he brought but oh my was he frustrating to watch when not good.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
Just wanted to say thanks to Sammy for all he has given to the team and our city. Thanks Sam, you are a great example for all of us and I hope you and your family thrive and you have all the success in the world going forward!

IATL - you’ve been one of the very vocal non-Gagner fans over the years so this is very classy of you.

He is damn skilled but not the fleetest of foot unfortunately. And he does care - a ton. His yearly ‘I’m pissed off so I’m going to fight’ statement was always fun and he usually held his own. As others have stated, he’ll probably be back lol but thanks for this!

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Dudes only 30 and still good for 30+ points a year. He’ll be around for a few seasons yet. Just maybe not at his current salary.
Man, if he could just skate he would have been something.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I don’t think so. I doubt he needs the money, and I doubt he wants to live the AHL life. I think he retires and gets a front office job as a ambassador for the team or something like that.

And throw away a few mil? Not likely. He will never see that AAV again.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Oof.

Back to Gagner... I expect he'll report and make it back in short order. He's a Oiler at heart and the best outcome for him is playing his way back on the team and close to his family. He's on the road a lot anyway, so he can just view it as an extended road trip. He'll certainly expect to be near a point per game in the AHL, and he can play any position, making him a logical call up.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Sam is all heart, the Pronger effect unfortunately rushed him and he had far too much pressure to carry a shit team as an 18 year old. I still think he can be useful, this team is going to be pretty bad again.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
So back to Gagner: hopefully the Oilers are kind enough to let him hang in the press box and not actually report to Bakersfield. He’ll probably dress for 20-30 games in the NHL this year as injuries happen or when (if) Jurco/Haas/Nygard falter. No sense forcing a vet away from his family and taking developmental time away from the likes of McLoed and Benson.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
In an interview during camp, Bear said how important it was to have Sekera down in Bakersfield for a bit as Bear could see how an NHL d-man prepares and takes care of his body through nutrition, recovery, workouts, etc.

If Sammy goes down could he have that effect on some of the young Oiler fwd prospects? From what we hear Gagner has always prepared well and been a solid pro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad