Recalled/Assigned: Sam Bennett

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
I also want Shore to get a real shot, not very impressed with Colbourne. He is OK I guess, but one of the easiest to bump from the lineup for me. I think he is easily replaceable

And Bennett will get 80 points in 4 games and win Calder. Book it.

I Hate Blake Coleman

F*** the oilers
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I agree about Colborne. He has a lot of hustle so Hartley likes him but he doesn't seem to excel at anything.

That said, Shore needs to take his spot and he hasn't exactly earned it in the games I've seen him.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
While I haven't been disappointed with Colborne, I was hoping he'd be doing a bit better. He's starting to remind me more and more of Stajan.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Still prefer him to go down to the AHL. With the Flames fighting to get into the playoffs I do not see Hartley giving him the minutes he needs to really benefit being here.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Still prefer him to go down to the AHL. With the Flames fighting to get into the playoffs I do not see Hartley giving him the minutes he needs to really benefit being here.

I dunno, I mean, I could very easily see him making more of an impact than Raymond. Sit him.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
With the way Sam Bennett played in the playoffs, has your future outlook on him changed? Do you now expect greater things from him?

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I still expect him to end up on the 2nd line in Calgary, which is not a knock on him as I feel he will play LW or C and I think both Gaudreau & Monahan will both be among the NHLs elite. But if he is converted to RW, then he will be a 1st liner.

xMatMcC

Jun 27, 2014
NL
With the way Sam Bennett played in the playoffs, has your future outlook on him changed? Do you now expect greater things from him?

I expect at least 250 points next year, I mean 18 year old Sam Baennett is only 18 after all :sarcasm:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I think everyone just learned how much of a gamer he was, and where that skill level is currently at.

I fully expect a 35-40 point rookie campaign out of him at least; and I don't think that's wishing for the stars.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Bennett will have 40 points total....

In:
the 4 games vs EDM
the 4 games vs Coyotes
the 4 games vs San Jose
the 3 games vs Winnipeg
the 3 games vs Nashville
the 3 games vs Dallas
the 2 games vs Buffalo
the 2 games vs TOR
the 2 games vs Carolina
the 2 games vs Montreal
the 2 games vs New Jersey
the 2 games vs Philadelphia

Toss in another 20 points in the other 49 games :yo:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I still expect him to end up on the 2nd line in Calgary, which is not a knock on him as I feel he will play LW or C and I think both Gaudreau & Monahan will both be among the NHLs elite. But if he is converted to RW, then he will be a 1st liner.

I would like a 1st line PP with that trio.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I could see Sam cracking 50, he knows what the NHL is all about now. His compete level is off the charts and he's going to expect himself to be a top 6 player for us. The question is, can his linemates enable him to get there?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Thats the thing, will he get top six linemates and minutes or not.

This is my prediction, he will be in the bottom 6 to start the year. Backlund will get hurt, Bennett will step up around the 30 game mark and not give back that position to Backlund.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This is my prediction, he will be in the bottom 6 to start the year. Backlund will get hurt, Bennett will step up around the 30 game mark and not give back that position to Backlund.

Poor Backs :( hope he stays healthy this season.

I can see a similar start to his career as Monny, gets easy starts, plays against lower pairings and is allowed some slack. The good thing about Calgary is our second to forth line... There's very little difference in quality. So it doesn't truly matter if he's our second or third line center in regards to his linemates.

It's why I gave him 35-45. He's probably not going to get 20 minutes a night and major PP. He'll probably get 16-18, second unit starts, but mostly just put in a position to succeed offensively. Unfortunately for us, we don't have a second Johnny Hockey kicking around to put on his wing.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
At center? I think it's less that Sam won't get the minutes and more that we need Monahan/Backlund taking those minutes and matchups. But I'd expect Sam to get a lot of double shifting to LW on Backlund's line.

Well thats my point, at center hes going to get third line treatment, whereas as a winger he could get quite a bit more.

SickHandsNoShot

May 7, 2012
Well thats my point, at center hes going to get third line treatment, whereas as a winger he could get quite a bit more.

Meh...We have no 2nd or 3rd line at this point. They will get even minutes. Bennett's line will get sheltered, offensive time. Backlund's line will get hard defensive time.
Only difference for him will be if he is spending time on the first/forth line.

Thats how I see it anyway.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I agree about Colborne. He has a lot of hustle so Hartley likes him but he doesn't seem to excel at anything.

That said, Shore needs to take his spot and he hasn't exactly earned it in the games I've seen him.

Everyone is greatly underestimating Colborne. If you remember about 10 games into the season Colborne was leading the NHL in assists.

This was ofcourse unsustainable and he would later incur the wrist injury (I believe against the Habs) however pre-injury Colborne was looking like a very solid, offensively gifted C/Wing ~ big man. A very important piece for the western conference.

I think with a full summer to get healthy people will be reminded in October just how good Colborne was becoming.

He's a low cost, high upside piece that only cost us a 4th rounder. I think he has a place in the lineup moving forward.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Everyone is greatly underestimating Colborne. If you remember about 10 games into the season Colborne was leading the NHL in assists.

This was ofcourse unsustainable and he would later incur the wrist injury (I believe against the Habs) however pre-injury Colborne was looking like a very solid, offensively gifted C/Wing ~ big man. A very important piece for the western conference.

I think with a full summer to get healthy people will be reminded in October just how good Colborne was becoming.

He's a low cost, high upside piece that only cost us a 4th rounder. I think he has a place in the lineup moving forward.
Really good post.

To add to this, Colborne has only been in the league for two years and the second year he played more than 3/4 of his season injured.

As a rookie he had 28 points in 80 games, as an injured sophomore he had 28 points in 64 games. An improvement of close to 0.09 points per game (7 points over 82 games). Imagine if he hadn't been injured, he could have had 40-45 points. And if he continues improving physically he could hit that mark this year and be a physical presence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->