Sam Bennett - most needed change of scenery ever or hot streak?

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Talbot had a strong season this year, a shutout 1-0 in the first game, the flames could use a goalie like that lol, tre and jim are both wizards, at making other teams better

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
and cost Florida the game..

How exactly did someone who wasn't even on the ice in a 4-4 game with 70 seconds, when a breakaway occurred to score a GWG was allowed, cost his team the game?

At best you can say that Bennett's net contribution (Two key defensive plays directly leading to two goals for, and two penalties directly leading to two goals against) were a net zero (although that would ignore the fact that a 1/4 penalty kill is inexcusable from any team)

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
If you look at the Canadian teams, they have some of the worse GM’s in the league. A Canadian team has not won the Stanley cup in almost 30 years, like wtf!! This country has seen one inept gm after another. If I said to you in 1993 that there wouldn’t be a Canadian nhl team that wins the cup for the next 30 years, you’d likely laugh in my face...

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
He cost the Panthers the game last night... Or was I watching the wrong game?

The major issue with Bennett is that his hard work doesn't always translate into effective play. Once again, really happy for him and his current success. However, there's been a lot of exaggeration of his newfound offensive ability. If you look at his two assists:

1. In assist one he fed the puck to Huberdeau, just past his own blue line, and Huberdeau brought it end ot end.

2. In assist 2 he knocks the puck loose from the TB player as they are transitioning to the rush, but then Huberdeau picks it up and make an incredible move and pass.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The major issue with Bennett is that his hard work doesn't always translate into effective play. Once again, really happy for him and his current success. However, there's been a lot of exaggeration of his newfound offensive ability. If you look at his two assists:

1. In assist one he fed the puck to Huberdeau, just past his own blue line, and Huberdeau brought it end ot end.

2. In assist 2 he knocks the puck loose from the TB player as they are transitioning to the rush, but then Huberdeau picks it up and make an incredible move and pass.

Oh I agree. He had a good game aside from the penalties but the people pointing to his assists as why he was amazing last night… Just lol. They were the most secondary of assists I’ve ever seen.

Imagine OKG and Whiskey if Monahan did that and it was Gaudreau and not Huberdeau

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
If you look at the Canadian teams, they have some of the worse GM’s in the league. A Canadian team has not won the Stanley cup in almost 30 years, like wtf!! This country has seen one inept gm after another. If I said to you in 1993 that there wouldn’t be a Canadian nhl team that wins the cup for the next 30 years, you’d likely laugh in my face...
The Flames, Oilers and Canucks all came really close. Unfortunately they all kind of imploded after they went to the finals. The Leafs were pretty legitimate contenders at the turn of the century too.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Oh I agree. He had a good game aside from the penalties but the people pointing to his assists as why he was amazing last night… Just lol. They were the most secondary of assists I’ve ever seen.

Imagine OKG and Whiskey if Monahan did that and it was Gaudreau and not Huberdeau

What it seems to be is that Bennett's style really works well with Huberdeau. Huberdeau has amazing vision and speed. He is picking up loose pucks and taking them end to end. So if you have Sam Bennett, who can jam up the opposition, it's a great combo.

Even most of Bennett's goals are just him skating in the middle of the ice with his stick down:

I'm just not seeing this high end #1 centre skill that everyone in this thread is talking about. In all of these plays I'm seeing it's largely Huberdeau pulling off an amazing move and Sam Bennett either making an easy pass to Huberdeau or Huberdeau feeding Bennett a gimmee.

Even this OT winner:

Bennett takes a nice wrister from the circle and uses the d-man as a screen, but it was hardly some amazing deke or stickhandling.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Some of that is true, but look how many CDN teams there are compared to US teams....

A lot of US teams have location advantages. Some guys just don't want to play in Canada.

You are also comparing a team like Edmonton with maybe 30 million to spend before the cap while Detroit and others spent up to 80 million lol.

Joseph goes to Toronto for big money. Doug Weight gets like a 4.25 M offer from Edmonton and St Louis (WHO WAS GETTING EQUALIZATION PAYMENTS FROM EDMONTON) signs him for like 8 million lol

Some teams also have great tax advantages.

Canada has come close a few times. Flames in 04, Oilers 06, Ottawa 07, Canucks 2011.

Toronto and Edmonton will be the next potential cup champs. Best bets.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Bennett’s penchant for taking bad penalties reared its head at the worst time.

He should be suspended, that hit could have ended a career or worse. Brutal and selfish play all the way.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He also was a major reason why the Panthers scored 2 of their 4 goals. Easy to focus on a single event when it makes you feel good.

No he wasn’t. both goals were from Huberdeau making magic plays.. what game were you watching?

And actually he had two penalties that led to Tampa goals.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
No he wasn’t. both goals were from Huberdeau making magic plays.. what game were you watching?

And actually he had two penalties that led to Tampa goals.
What game were you watching? For example, pay attention to how Bennett intercepts the clearing pass that leads to Huberdeau making the magic play for the Tippet goal. Without Bennett this goal does not happen.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
What game were you watching? For example, pay attention to how Bennett intercepts the clearing pass that leads to Huberdeau making the magic play for the Tippet goal. Without Bennett this goal does not happen.

so intercepting a pass, a common neutral zone play which happens about 200 times a game and then passibg it to Huberdeau who goes and does something bananas to create a goal on an individual effort is because Bennett. Not to mention his other assist was nothing special at all.

And then you ignore the two offensive zone penalties which ended up in the back of the net.

MVP caliber performance last night…

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Flames fans are so salty in this thread. Just admit that Bennett is actually good and was completely mismanaged in Calgary :laugh:

Reactions: HockeyWooot

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Surprised there isn't more talk about the hit....that was one of the worst examples of boarding I've ever seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad