Proposal: Sam Bennett for Philipp Grubauer

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
Grubauer was just traded for due to Varlamov’s expiring contract, I’m assuming that hasn’t changed 10 games in regardless of Varly’s play.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Yeah 0 interest from the Avs to make a move like that, so idk where this idea came from.

IB

Aug 20, 2009
Depending on Varlamov. This could be a classic win-win. Flames need tending.

Bennett is turning a corner but is being used as a grinder. He is much more than that.

Avs forward depth is seemingly pretty poor after line 1

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Hmm don’t see Avs doing this as much as I like Bennett. I just don’t see Varlamov staying.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Awful. A paper soft team like the Flames is in no position to trade one of the only physical forwards they have. Bennett is going no where, regardless of HF's laughable perception of him.

And yeah, the Avs can't trade Grubauer with Varlamov still an UFA. Bad idea all round.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Avs got Grubs because of Varly's contract situation and the fact he gets injured every year. Neither of that has changed.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
An extended Varlamov and I’d consider it. Bennett is looking good but goaltending is the most important position.

And I think we have more depth in Dube and Mangiapane that should be getting top 9 minutes. Don’t really have an answer in net. Also with our contract situation affording Bennett, Tkachuk and a goalie might be hard.

That said I want to give Rittich a chance so that’s a deal I would do later in the year.

LetsGoFlames

Drop the puck!
Dec 18, 2011
Weyburn, Sk
I know Bennett is a buzz topic in HF speculation right now but to be honest, we're very happy with him and I don't think we have any desire to get rid of him, much less at a discount price as some posters suggest. He's definitely growing as a player and I think if we move him, we'll end up regretting it. If we were to trade him, we'd be looking for a solid return. No discounts.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Grubauer was just traded for due to Varlamov’s expiring contract, I’m assuming that hasn’t changed 10 games in regardless of Varly’s play.

I'd also add that Varly's play was never really his issue in Colorado, but his inability to stay healthy. This is his 8th season in Colorado... and over the previous 7 seasons, he's missed 103 games. Other than the 40 game stint in 16/17, it's usually only short absences... and the backup has gotta play sometime anyway... but seeing where he's contract is, the fact that he will likely want a raise, added in with his injuries... and it doesn't really surprise me that despite the fact that his numbers have usually been pretty good... that Colorado went out and got someone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad