Proposal: Sam Bennett (CGY) for David Pastrnak (BOS)

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Gaudreau's career high in points is higher than Draisaitl's. Not sure if Draisaitl is better than Gaudreau "could ever dream to be". That's ridiculous hyperbole.

Your statement might be true if you were talking about the Canucks, but...

Go ahead and make a poll comparing Gaudreau vs. Draisaitl and see the results.

And of course it's true about the Canucks. We're garbage right now as expected. However, our last cup final appearance was in 2011, not 2004... So even if the Canucks stay garbage until 2024, they'd still be on par with the Flames history in the past 10 years.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
It'd be an HF poll. There are almost no Flames fans here -- they're all on Calgarypuck. This site is full of Oilers fans and is slanted heavily towards "what have you done for me lately".

I'd still take Gaudreau, knowing how mediocre Draisaitl is away from McDavid. 44% GF without him, 60% GF with.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It'd be an HF poll. There are almost no Flames fans here -- they're all on Calgarypuck. This site is full of Oilers fans and is slanted heavily towards "what have you done for me lately".

I'd still take Gaudreau, knowing how mediocre Draisaitl is away from McDavid. 44% GF without him, 60% GF with.

This site is full of oilers haters

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Sam Bennett is in nail yakupov territory. Calgary would add significantly.
Bennett, kylington, 1st round pick minimum.

You are absolutely clueless with this post. And if that's the cost for Pastrnak then the Flames laugh and hang up the phone. Plus with Pastrnak probably looking in the range of Draisatl number the Flames wouldn't want to mess up their cap figures.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Can't believe this thread has gone on for 6 pages now. Most of these posts bashing Bennett are just so beyond cringe worthy.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Agreed. Bennett for Pastrnak is not fair, Goudreau would be fair. Goudreau might even have the lesser cap hit after Pastrnak sign too.

No thanks from a Calgary perspective. Why would we want to pay more money for a player thats not as good.

If Boston wants Gaudreau its Pastrnak +

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Terrible post. Bennett is no where near a bust, he's already shown to be an everyday C in the NHL. Yak couldn't even be an everyday offensive winger because of his low IQ. Big difference.

I'd do the above deal all day, Boston would not.

I see a correlation in the absurdity of the original post to the one you quoted here.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Even if Bennett does become a 50 point player next year it wouldn't be worth it. He'd have to get around 65 to be an equivalent player

:laugh: That's an absurd claim. It's rooted in nothing other than ignorance.

For an idea of Bennett's expected role, consider he played 1214 TOI last season. He killed penalties, played some second unit PP. and played less minutes at 5-on-5 than the top two lines (naturally) You could give him on an extra 35-40 minutes of power play time next year but that'd be the extent of it.

Even if he is good, he isn't going to replace

1) Johnny Gaudreau on the power play. Duh. I shouldn't need to explain this.

2) Sean Monahan on the power play. He is one of the best triggers in the NHL from the slot, and last year potted four power play goals in four playoff games. He is tied for 15th among all NHL forwards in Power Play Goals over the last three seasons

3) Kris Versteeg on the power play. Versteeg shoots right. Versteeg was a power play dynamo last year outproducing Gaudreau. Someday Bennett should replace Versteeg, but right now Versteeg might be Calgary's best option on the PP.

4) Matthew Tkachuk on the power play. He is becoming one of the best PP screener/tippers in the entire league. He might already be top 10 as a kid who was 18/19 last year.

5) Michael Backlund on the power play. He led the Flames in power play scoring last year.

That's five forwards Bennett is not replacing by no fault of his own. He's a very good offensive forward but nearly every team in the NHL would want one of the five guys above on their power play. That leaves two power play spots for Bennett. One of them is occupied by 4.5 million dollar Troy Brouwer, who is literally useless if you don't spoon feed him power play time. Diminishing his value further isn't in Calgary's best interest, since we want to dump him asap.

And we're down to one, on power play unit two with Tkachuk and Backlund. I expect Bennett to play there for much of the year, but that hasn't stopped the coach from randomly putting Michael Frolik there to maintain his 5-on-5 lines for when PPs end, and then you've got Micheal Ferland and Mark Jankowski who are also more than deserving.

At 5 on 5? Bennett's a center on a team with Sean Monahan and Mikael Backlund who are both solid centers in their prime. Monahan plays with Gaudreau on the already-strong scoring line and Backlund is the undisputed 28 year old 1C and was 4th in NHL Selke voting last year.

Bennett is being groomed to someday replace Backlund but Backlund hasn't had an injury of note in the last two calendar years (aside from a pre-season concussion that didn't stop him from missing a game). Monahan has never missed a game to injury since Bennett has been a Flame. It's common sense to keep the top six intact because it's a strong and stable top six.

If a 21 year old player with Bennett's complete game scored 50 points as a mere third center, he'll be commanding more trade value than nearly any winger. Don't believe me? Here's a list of players who've done anything remotely comparable to that kind of accomplishment.

Under-23 players in the last decade to score 50 points while taking 650+ faceoffs and playing under 1275 minutes TOI:

Age 21 Aleksander Barkov - 52 points in 2016-17
Age 20 Jack Eichel - 57 points in 2016-17
Age 22 Steven Stamkos - 57 points in 2012-13
Age 19 Jonathan Toews - 54 points in 2007-08
Age 20 Sidney Crosby - 72 points in 2007-08

So you've got:

- A guy playing with Huberdeau and Jagr on his team's top line who was injured
- A PPG first line offensive monster, who was injured
- A franchise center playing on the first line with the Art Ross winner that year, in a lockout shortened season
- A franchise center in an era where power plays were handed out more liberally, playing on a first line with a future Art Ross winner, who was injured
- The best player of our generation, who was injured

That's how unrealistic it is for Sam Bennett to score 50+ points in the role he plays. If he pulled it off, I'm not sure a team would accept Marchand + Pastrnak for him.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
The only time I notice Sam Bennett is when he's sitting in the penalty box after taking a dumb penalty

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
:laugh: That's an absurd claim. It's rooted in nothing other than ignorance.

For an idea of Bennett's expected role, consider he played 1214 TOI last season. He killed penalties, played some second unit PP. and played less minutes at 5-on-5 than the top two lines (naturally) You could give him on an extra 35-40 minutes of power play time next year but that'd be the extent of it.

Even if he is good, he isn't going to replace

1) Johnny Gaudreau on the power play. Duh. I shouldn't need to explain this.

2) Sean Monahan on the power play. He is one of the best triggers in the NHL from the slot, and last year potted four power play goals in four playoff games. He is tied for 15th among all NHL forwards in Power Play Goals over the last three seasons

3) Kris Versteeg on the power play. Versteeg shoots right. Versteeg was a power play dynamo last year outproducing Gaudreau. Someday Bennett should replace Versteeg, but right now Versteeg might be Calgary's best option on the PP.

4) Matthew Tkachuk on the power play. He is becoming one of the best PP screener/tippers in the entire league. He might already be top 10 as a kid who was 18/19 last year.

5) Michael Backlund on the power play. He led the Flames in power play scoring last year.

That's five forwards Bennett is not replacing by no fault of his own. He's a very good offensive forward but nearly every team in the NHL would want one of the five guys above on their power play. .

If you can't beat out Kris Versteeg to be on a PP... then maybe you're just not that good then.

No fault of his own? uhhhhh.. well if he actually produced like he was hyped up to be.. then the coaches would have no problem giving him more premium offensive minutes. The fact that he hasn't so far... some of the blame has to be put on him as well.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
If you can't beat out Kris Versteeg to be on a PP... then maybe you're just not that good then.

No fault of his own? uhhhhh.. well if he actually produced like he was hyped up to be.. then the coaches would have no problem giving him more premium offensive minutes. The fact that he hasn't so far... some of the blame has to be put on him as well.

So if he's not as good as Monahan or Backlund it's his fault?

Jesus haha, give the guy a year at center

And versteeg was fantastic on the powerplay, plus he's right handed. Bennett wouldn't fit there and he's not big enough to stick in front of the net.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Guy whose team had Mark Letetsu playing PP ahead of Eberle/RNH talking trash ... hmmm

Uhm. You picked a weird target there considering Mark Letestu had more powerplay goals than anyone on your team last year - 11 - tied with scrubs like Malkin and Seguin...

Letestu saw a lot of powerplay time because he's really good at scoring goals on the powerplay.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Oiler fans, if you're going to say Sam is a bust, can you at least say Sam Gagner instead of Yakupov? Gagner at least is the same position played, closer in draft position and shares a name. Bennett v Gagner pisses me off, but at least it's not as idiotic as Bennett v Yakupov.

Bennett isn't even close to going down the same path as Yakupov, Omark. Brule or Paajarvi.

IMO, from an Edmonton POV (which this thread shouldn't be), Bennett IMO should be viewed in the same lens as you view Ryan Strome as in, "let's wait and see".

@ Boston: We know Pasta >>> Bennett, and Bennet's value is very low so why would we trade Bennett for pennies on the dollar? The only reason we would consider trading with your org is if Sweeney wants to do "Trade the young guy asking us for too much for below market value v 2.0" and we flip assets for more than we pay for. That or he's gone full crazy and Rask is available for cheap. Many of us love Pasta, but 1RW is more of a luxury than a need right now. With how many picks we traded recently, we need to keep an eye on goaltender upgrades this year AND next year. Farm hands graduating in the next 2-3 seasons is very important to us as well. Ferland is more than adequate for the time being talent and cap wise for our 1RW.

We'd rather bank on Bennett suddenly start to put it together, than trade him. This is since he missed the most time of most of his draft peers in the first round due to injury and is younger than many of his peers.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Yea... that's pretty rough... seems like someone is judging sam Bennett as a #2 overall pick, and not as a guy who can't break 40pts in season. And I know it's not all about points, but when you're a top-3 pick, you should be able to produce as a 20-21yr old.

You can't judge Sam Bennett as a top-3 pick when he wasn't one. 4th overall pick.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I like Sam a ton but no way this is a one for one deal. Calgary has to add for sure. To land Pastrnak it will cost a high pick, a stud prospect and maybe a top six forward. That is what I would want if I was Sweeney.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Only on these boards is a middling 3C worth more than a 30+ goal/70 point 1RW :laugh:

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
There is just really no interest in Bennett from a Boston perspective. Who knows what he becomes in the future but we know what we have in Pastrnak. Banking on the potential of a young center doesn't make much sense when he wouldn't be as good as Bergeron or Krejci for the next couple years. Heck we could count on Ryan Spooner to outperform him from an offensive standpoint in the 3rd Line center position since we know he is at least decent on the power-play. I understand what Bennett bring to the game, we can appreciate a center with a strong defensive game here in Boston but that doesn't mean we should trade away one of our strongest offensive weapons for him. We need more offensive skill, not less in our top 9.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
lol value isn't even remotely close. Pasta is going to be an elite scorer in the league for a very long time, Calgary would have to add big time. But this makes 0 sense for either team. Boston will not part with Pasta, and moving Bennett just creates a bigger hole for the flames.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->