Proposal: Sam Bennett (CGY) for David Pastrnak (BOS)

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
Neutral fan, don't have a dog in the fight, but am a fan of Sam Bennett.

With rumors about Boston's difficulty signing Pastrnak, what does each side think of a deal like this?

On the surface, Calgary gets their young goal scoring top 6 RW.
Boston gets a young center who fits their "style" perfectly and has top 6 potential as Krejci and Bergeron continue to age.

Who says no, who has to add, what has to be added, etc.

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
Who adds? Seriously? :shakehead:help:

Edit: to give my post a little more context/Content...There is a significant gap in every value standpoint between these two...The only thing Bennett has done that Pastrnak hasn't was get drafted higher. That's it...

There's really nothing to add to Bennett to get Pastrnak....why trade your best young asset and one of your leading scorers for a redundant Center who has struggled to show consistency and whatever other prospects that again will be redundant in our system (see: Dube who's name is sure to be thrown at us)

This swap would do nothing but set us back, and vault Calgary forward.

The closer comparison Valuewise is Pastrnak and Monahan, to which I have no doubt CGY fans would have no interest, because that's usually how it works on here, nobody wants to give up high end quality for high end quality...not that I blame anyone

Last edited:

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
This just isn't going to go anywhere, anything Calgary would have to add would have to be huge and they probably would be more comfortable just keeping their players.

Bennett just isn't enticing at all to be honest.

LethalCookie

Mar 23, 2015
Guelph
Calgary adds. Pasta has already hit 70 points whereas Bennett has yet to hit 40. That gap will likely shrink in the future, but Bennett probaby won't end up as a 70 point guy in his career, as much as I'm a fan of him.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
uh... do we need to point to the obvious and tell you that boston gets screwed over big time?

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Yea... that's pretty rough... seems like someone is judging sam Bennett as a #2 overall pick, and not as a guy who can't break 40pts in season. And I know it's not all about points, but when you're a top-3 pick, you should be able to produce as a 20-21yr old.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Pastrnak is better at hockey so Calgary adds. Better yet they take out Bennett, add gaudreau and then it's an even trade

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Sam Bennett is in nail yakupov territory. Calgary would add significantly.
Bennett, kylington, 1st round pick minimum.

Terrible post. Bennett is no where near a bust, he's already shown to be an everyday C in the NHL. Yak couldn't even be an everyday offensive winger because of his low IQ. Big difference.

I'd do the above deal all day, Boston would not.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yea... that's pretty rough... seems like someone is judging sam Bennett as a #2 overall pick, and not as a guy who can't break 40pts in season. And I know it's not all about points, but when you're a top-3 pick, you should be able to produce as a 20-21yr old.

He wasn't a top 3 pick.

Bennett isn't that good.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
20 point player for a 70 point player? Really makes you think...

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Who adds?

If Sam Bennett adds his career totals they don't even match pastrnak s season sooo probably the flames

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Flames would have to add big time here, but I'd still pass. Main reason being is that Pastrnak is gonna get paid, and this would essentially mean Backlund can't be re-signed. Losing both Backlund and Bennett from our center depth would leave the Flames with Jankowski/Lazar for the #2/3 spot.

Not sure why Boston would even consider it either. Doesn't seem like they really need centermen.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Calgary could add 3 more Sam Bennett's and I'm still not sure if Boston would do it TBH.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This just isn't going to go anywhere, anything Calgary would have to add would have to be huge and they probably would be more comfortable just keeping their players.

Bennett just isn't enticing at all to be honest.

That's because the OP is talking to the wrong fan base. He needs to go find the sole Penguins fan who would trade Guentzel and a 1st for Bennett. :laugh: :shakehead

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Other than draft pedigree, there is not a single even arguable factor that doesn't have Calgary adding big time here and that should be obvious to anyone that follows hockey.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Bennett's value is low, and the Flames rightfully value him very high. Unless they got a player like Pasta back, there's no reason to move him. Having said that, Boston has zero reason to do this unless he were to refuse to sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad