Confirmed with Link: Sam Bennett and 6th (2022) traded to Florida for 2nd (2022) and Emil Heineman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
he really never got to play C. Sam Bennett as a W never worked. But as a C he Dube and Looch was our best line in the playoffs. He got moved from C in the third period of game 1 this season.

But like others have said we moved Lindholm to C (which was a good idea) but we still should have moved Monahan to wing (or traded him for a player like Batherson like I suggested last summer).

I think the next guy we will mismanage by playing them at RW is Dube. He’s not a great offensive player, like Bennett or Backlund, but all guys bring things that allow them to drive possession which will lead to points. There is no way Bennett keeps up this offensive pace over a full season though.

and I know you will say ‘what have they proven over Monahan?’ Bennett never got a chance at C despite being the highest pick ever in Calgary. Our organization has pigeon-holed players into certain roles they aren’t best suited for. And our org also tend to overlook mistakes by vets but punish young players after they haven’t played in a month (see Kylington, despite the fact I don’t think we’ve lost more than 1 game with him in the lineup). The organization has had a fear of change and it’s why it’s so stale and unsuccessful.
Bennett spent half of his rookie season and all of his sophomore season at C. He lost his C spot to Jankowski, think about that for just a moment, Mark Jankowski. ANd not playing C is not an excuse to take not play with drive and that was the thing he lacked most when he struggled.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Bennett was not given top 6 regularly. Monahan is useless playing anywhere else except with Johnny, while Bennett could at least play anywhere. The real problem is that the roster isn't flexible enough to give him and others an opportunity because of Johnny/Monahan. Backlund deserves his spot because he can play with scrubs and make them better. Jankowski "deserves" his spot because he is useless like Monahan and cant do anything else.

The failure is on how the team is constructed. Coaches had little choice for deployment. With better depth on the wings, Bennett could have shown more and wouldn't have had to play on the wing at all. Florida has better depth, that's why he is florishing.

The Flames lost their 1C. This is 100% on Treliving. Dude spent so much time trying to build the defense. It turns out mediocre if not useless.

Treliving must go ASAP. He has no idea on roster construction and no idea on hockey talent.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Bennett spent half of his rookie season and all of his sophomore season at C. He lost his C spot to Jankowski, think about that for just a moment, Mark Jankowski. ANd not playing C is not an excuse to take not play with drive and that was the thing he lacked most when he struggled.

yup, how stupid the Flames coaches were and how bad the roster Treliving built.

he lost because Monahan and Jankowski can’t do anything else while he can play anywhere

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hox, c'mon dude, you're way smarter than this. Wait and see what he does next year before declaring anyone should be embarrassed, because as you've said, he showed the flashes before. And let's not pretend when he had his flashes he suddenly had better linemates either, because he didn't, he wasn't f***ing good enough to outscore Mark f***ing Jankowski when they played together. So blaming opportunity is nothing but another f***ing excuse. This kid has gotten more bullshit excuses made for him by fans than a cheating husband gives their wife. Calgary Sam Bennett was a bust and that was on him, if he succeeds in Florida, it's not because of opportunity, it's because he finally pulled his f***ing head out of his ass and started giving an honest effort every f***ing night, which is not something he ever did here. When was the last time Sam Bennett put forth the effort we are seeing in Florida and it wasn't the playoffs? Not since his rookie season.

Bennett was consistently one of the hardest workers on this team on any given night. Much harder worker than Monahan, that's for sure.

Flames fans should be livid about the way he was mismanaged. The type of stupidity and arrogance displayed by this team's management and coaches is not to be admired, and certainly not imitated as you seem intent on doing.

Myself and others saw Bennett's potential, and the issues with his deployment and development. We also predicted his success once he was given a legitimate opportunity.

You look as stupid as the Flames with comments like these. And if this is the mindset of most flames fans, I'd say you deserve the team you've got.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
yup, how stupid the Flames coaches were and how bad the roster Treliving built.

he lost because Monahan and Jankowski can’t do anything else while he can play anywhere

imagine being oblivious to the fact that 2016-17 Bennett as a center posted much better shot supression metrics than 2017-18 Jankowski and yet thinking Bennett being on Jankowski's wing was justified.

Reactions: DFF

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Hox, c'mon dude, you're way smarter than this. Wait and see what he does next year before declaring anyone should be embarrassed, because as you've said, he showed the flashes before. And let's not pretend when he had his flashes he suddenly had better linemates either, because he didn't, he wasn't f***ing good enough to outscore Mark f***ing Jankowski when they played together. So blaming opportunity is nothing but another f***ing excuse. This kid has gotten more bullshit excuses made for him by fans than a cheating husband gives their wife. Calgary Sam Bennett was a bust and that was on him, if he succeeds in Florida, it's not because of opportunity, it's because he finally pulled his f***ing head out of his ass and started giving an honest effort every f***ing night, which is not something he ever did here. When was the last time Sam Bennett put forth the effort we are seeing in Florida and it wasn't the playoffs? Not since his rookie season.
This is just sad. The extent to which fans like you have to delude themselves with blatant lies into excusing the Flames longstanding ineptitude and incompetence is pathetic.

It's a plain and undeniable fact that the Flames failed Bennett. They failed to give him the opportunity his draft spot warranted, they failed to develop him, they failed to give him good linemates, they failed to give him minutes, they failed to hire NHL caliber coaches, they failed to comprehend that there's an entire universe beyond the little box that encompasses the entirety of their antiquated dinosaur like thought process. They failed repeatedly and consistently. But by all means, give the organization pass after pass for all their failures just so you can continue to enjoy the mediocrity year in, year out.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This is just sad. The extent to which fans like you have to delude themselves with blatant lies into excusing the Flames longstanding ineptitude and incompetence is pathetic.

It's a plain and undeniable fact that the Flames failed Bennett. They failed to give him the opportunity his draft spot warranted, they failed to develop him, they failed to give him good linemates, they failed to give him minutes, they failed to hire NHL caliber coaches, they failed to comprehend that there's an entire universe beyond the little box that encompasses the entirety of their antiquated dinosaur like thought process. They failed repeatedly and consistently. But by all means, give the organization pass after pass for all their failures just so you can continue to enjoy the mediocrity year in, year out.
Exhibit A

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I don’t think Bennett is going to be an 80-90pt player for the Cats. His play isn’t sustainable. But I definitely think he’s going to be a 45-60pt C for them that can play in all situations. Bennett does deserve some blame for it not working here, but I also think the way he was handled here sucked the joy out of his game and I don’t think he had much excitement thinking going to rink knowing he’s going to get center the plugs he did.

I give Hartley a lot of credit for Monahans development and I think if Bennett had him or Sutter for 2-3 years, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
To be honest though, while I don't agree with Hox that Bennett is a 45-60pt guy, I could see him settling in around 72-76pts range per 82. Two way centers like him sometimes fall shy of 80+ because they're too responsible.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's more likely to score over-80 versus under-70

But again, I'd say 75 is where he settles in, which is pretty much perfect production for a two-way top six center on a team with cup aspirations.

I think it depends a lot on his deployment. If he's able to play with a skilled half zone player like Huberdeau, he's going to score a lot of points. Since Bennett is extremely strong in transition, having a guy who can convert in the offensive zone after a successful transition is going to lead to a lot of points for Bennett.

If he's paired with more "well rounded" north-south type of players (like he was for a lot of his time in Calgary), I wouldn't expect him to be as prolific of a scorer. Bennett is a capable half zone offensive player, but his really a lot more effective as a facilitator. A guy who gets you into the offensive zone with control, can force turnovers, make consistent medium to high danger passes, and crash the net hard.

He's not a guy with elite puck skills and composure, and he's not a pure sniper. He's not really elite at any one thing, but he just does pretty much everything. But that's the exact type of player you need to complement a guy like Huberdeau, who is elite in a few areas and very flawed in many others.

If he stays with Huberdeau then 80+ points is certainly not out of the question.

CanucksSTM

Mar 8, 2018
Sometimes you have to chalk it up to a change of scenery. Different coach, teammates, building can all make an impact on a player.

You guys did get a decent haul for a guy who had 12 points in 38 games. 2022 is a big draft year.

I Hate Blake Coleman

F*** the oilers
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Sometimes you have to chalk it up to a change of scenery. Different coach, teammates, building can all make an impact on a player.

You guys did get a decent haul for a guy who had 12 points in 38 games. 2022 is a big draft year.
I'm just upset that the solution to this whole ordeal, prior to trading him away, was to simply play him and use him in the position he is most comfortable. Bennett was basically dying a death by 1,000 cuts in a Flames uniform. He's a young centre which is exactly what the Flames need.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think it depends a lot on his deployment. If he's able to play with a skilled half zone player like Huberdeau, he's going to score a lot of points. Since Bennett is extremely strong in transition, having a guy who can convert in the offensive zone after a successful transition is going to lead to a lot of points for Bennett.

If he's paired with more "well rounded" north-south type of players (like he was for a lot of his time in Calgary), I wouldn't expect him to be as prolific of a scorer. Bennett is a capable half zone offensive player, but his really a lot more effective as a facilitator. A guy who gets you into the offensive zone with control, can force turnovers, make consistent medium to high danger passes, and crash the net hard.

He's not a guy with elite puck skills and composure, and he's not a pure sniper. He's not really elite at any one thing, but he just does pretty much everything. But that's the exact type of player you need to complement a guy like Huberdeau, who is elite in a few areas and very flawed in many others.

If he stays with Huberdeau then 80+ points is certainly not out of the question.

It's remarkable how spot-on your assessment is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->