salostyle's Mock Draft

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
1. Chicago – Kyle Turris = Talon is already offering up his daughters for Turris’ services, so I think that is a done deal. Turris is a great playmaking compliment to Toews, and a line of Toews-Turris-Havlat is frightening to say the least, although it is probably 3 years away from fruition as Turris may take some time to develop at Wisconsin.

2. Philadelphia – Pat Kane = The American-born London Knights scoring sensation is exactly what the doctor ordered in Philly. Again a line of Kane-Carter-Gagne could strike fear in almost any opponent, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Kane make the jump next year.

3. Phoenix – James VanRiemsdyk = The Coyotes have developed a trend of taking American forwards with size and skill in the first round and they stick to their guns this year. JVR adds some power-forward potential, and a line of JVR-Mueller-Wheeler/Hanzal could be scary someday, not in the near future though.

4. Los Angeles – Sam Gagner = Granted another defence prospect wouldn’t hurt, the Kings aren’t overly high on either Alzner/Ellerby and would rather address that organization need via trade. With Jack Johnson in the stable, they are confident they have the horses on the backend for the time being. If another GM comes knocking with an opportunity for the Kings to move down, possibly out of the Top 10 altogether, Lombardi may hear him out (possibly Kevin Lowe offering #15 and defence prospect Taylor Chorney for #4), but if the phone lines are quiet I expect the Kings to settle on Gagner who reminds some of a young Michael Cammallerri.

5. Washington – Alexei Cherepanov = The Capitals don’t think twice in picking another Russian sniper to compliment Ovechkin and Semin. I would be shocked to see Cherepanov’s slide surpass the Number 5 slot.

6. Edmonton – Jakub Voracek = Kevin Lowe has long desired a centre with size, and he finally gets his hands on one – well two considering the trade deadline acquisition of Ryan O’Marra from the Islanders. Voracek is thought to be relatively low risk and brings a rather complete game, something head coach Craig MacTavish demands of all his players. Much like the Kings, the Oilers are content with their defence prospects and aren’t overly wowed by Alzner/Ellerby.

7. Columbus – Keaton Ellerby = The Blue Jackets could use some size on the backend, someone to potentially be paired with Kris Russell down the road. Rusty Klesla, Ron Hainsey, Kris Russell, and Keaton Ellerby have the potential to be a solid if not spectacular Top 4 in the years to come.

8. Boston – Angelo Esposito = The Bruins aren't buying into the sudden plummet of Esposito’s stock and they leave the stage confident they have the draft’s first steal.

9. St. Louis – Karl Alzner = The Blues are surprised to see Alzner fall to them and waste little time is snagging him. It is the safe and right thing to do at this spot.

10. Florida – Akim Aliu = The first real shocker of the draft, the Panthers take a flyer on the talented head case. Florida feels there are in a position to make a high risk, high reward pick with plenty of prospect depth.

11. Carolina – Nick Petrecki = The Hurricanes like what they see in Petrecki, who slides into the depth chart in the slot formerly occupied by Jack Johnson.

12. Montreal – Zach Hamill = The Canadiens briefly considered Mayorov, but with Kovalev and Samsonov giving Gainey all sorts of headaches on and off the ice, they elect to go with an American point producer.

13. Toronto – Maxim Mayorov = The Leafs breathe a sigh of relief as Mayorov remains on the board at 13. The Leafs actually try, unsuccessfully, to trade into the Top 10 with Mayorov their man, but a twist of good fate sees the Russian fall to them. With Antropov and Ponikorovsky panning out, Toronto isn’t scared to go back to the well.

14. Colorado – Lars Eller = A typical Avalanche pick, they select a forward with big-time potential despite minimal exposure. With their luck, or intuition, he will likely be an impact player some day.

15. Edmonton (NYI) – Mikael Backlund = The Oilers were debating between Backlund and Eller, but Colorado made that decision an easy one. The Oilers like what they see in this Swede, who was once hyped as a Top 5 prospect for 2007.

16. Anaheim (Tampa Bay) – Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i = Fresh off hoisting hockey’s Holy Grail, Brian Burke is feeling invincible and rolls the dice on this boom or bust prospect. This draft is stacked with wildcards and in the Ducks situation, they can afford to swing for the fences.

17. NY Rangers – Patrick White = The Rangers pick up a project in White, who they see as a late bloomer with yet untapped potential.

18. Calgary – Brandon Sutter = Almost a given in my opinion, if Sutter is still on the board at 18, uncle Darryl will call out his name. That said, he may be the best player available and his offensive instincts are often underrated.

19. Minnesota – Ryan McDonaugh = The Wild recently relinquished the rights to AJ Thelen and set out to find a suitable replacement in this year’s first round. They land that and more in McDonaugh.

20. Pittsburgh – David Perron = The Penguins would just as soon take a defenceman in this spot and were salivating at the prospect of McDonaugh landing in their lap, however, they still leave the podium pleased with their pick.

21. Phoenix (Dallas) – Billy Sweatt = The Coyotes stay in the States selecting this sophomore with speed to burn.

22. Montreal (San Jose) – Logan Couture = The Canadiens go with a Gainey-esque player with their second pick – an honest, gritty forward with a nose for the net.

23. Philadelphia (Nashville) – Colton Gillies = The Flyers wanted Couture, but gladly settle for Gillies. A little Mike Richards, a shade of Steve Downie, the Flyers are bringing back the Broad Street Bullies and it is in their best interests as someone has to provide space for Kane to work his magic.

24. St. Louis (Atlanta) – Oscar Moller = With three picks in the first round, the Blues target a European playmaker in the midst of adjusting to the North American game. They feel they are getting the best of both worlds with this selection.

25. Vancouver – Brett MacLean = The Canucks go with the best player available, although it remains to be seen if he has game or if his numbers are merely the product of his linemate John Tavares.

26. St. Louis (New Jersey) – Michal Repic = Staying in the Western Hockey League, the Blues select a sniper and someone who knows what it takes to win, coming off an impressive showing in helping the Vancouver Giants to this year’s Memorial Cup.

27. Detroit – Kevin Shattenkirk = While most are expecting an obscure European to wind up in the Motor City, the Red Wings opt instead to take a homegrown defence product. Chelios, Schneider, and Lidstrom aren’t getting any younger and thus Detroit’s draft-day attention shifts to the blue-line.

28. Washington (Buffalo) – Tommy Cross = The Capitals need someone to move the puck up ice to their collection of young snipers and Cross may be the man for the job. Some peg him a Tom Poti clone, others see him as a super-sized Brian Leetch.

29. Ottawa – Vladimir Ruzicka = The Senators go for broke, picking a big skilled European pivot with good bloodlines and unlimited creativity almost to a fault.

30. Edmonton – Max Pacioretty = The Oilers round out my mock draft and use their third pick to select a hulking but raw power-forward with a high ceiling.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Id be a little surprised if Couture is available at the first pick of Montreal. Also Montreal would want a defenceman and not two forwards.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well just saying that Ponikarovsky(Ukraine) and Antropov (Kazakstan), weren't really Russian picks since by the time they were drafted the USSR was done. But anyways back on the draft, I think Mayorov could be a choice Toronto could go with. Though I'd bet on Backlund myself. It'd be a surprise if Couture fell even out of the top 10.

A good mock though, intelligent reasoning and and it's a solid one.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Not too sure about Burke taking Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i... don't see that happening to be honest. They would take Couture in a heartbeat if he fell that far.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
O find this kinda unrealistic, at least from a Toronto point of view, as there is no way they'd pass up both Backlund and Eller for Mayorov.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
nice list, i appreciate the effort on it... one thing though.

i dont know where you get your info, but I am from Chicago, and I havent heard Tallon talk about Turris once. I havent heard much talk about hockey in this city period, but when they do its about Kane or Voracek..not Turris. He wont go #1, great player, but why take someone who has inferior offensive skills to Pat Kane, when what you need most is offense? Again great list, just havent heard zippo about Turris in Tallons interviews. maybe he is playing a poker hand?

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
i dont want a d man in the top ten in ellerby because there are guys that will be available at D in the second round perfectly capable (preferably Brennan) and not as good top-tier forwards in the second, so i'd be disappointed without either Voracek or Gagner

-great job though i love it

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
i dont want a d man in the top ten in ellerby because there are guys that will be available at D in the second round perfectly capable (preferably Brennan) and not as good top-tier forwards in the second, so i'd be disappointed without either Voracek or Gagner

-great job though i love it

you aint kidding about Brennan. just watch whoever lands this kid probably in the second round, and see how elated they will be 1-2 years down the road. should be a first rounder, but someone is going to STEAL this kid imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->