Sale of the Sens - the renewal WC let us all down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
What happened to your "Melnyk will never sell" stance?

You must enjoy twisting peoples words around.

I've never had any type of "stance" on Melnyk's position on the possibility of selling his franchise.

I've simply referenced his public statements, when he's been asked about selling the franchise. In your mind, that meant I was supporting his ownership or something, and must be hated along with him.

I take what people state publicly, until such time they say something to the contrary. Constantly trying to "read between the lines" and and extracting "what he really means" is almost always a fruitless undertaking, that I'll leave to the soothsayers like yourself.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The incident took place on Wednesday and Ruzskowski was hired on Thursday. Lee was arrested Thursday night, just sayin' it was pretty interesting timing.

From the Ottawa Citizen

"While Senators owner Eugene Melnyk has been playing a bigger role in the front office as president and chief executive officer since Tom Anselmi left in January, Ruszkowski will run day-to-day business operations, but won’t have a say in hockey operations.
Melnyk told Senators employees in a meeting after taking over as president and CEO that he would bring in somebody to run business operations.
Ruszkowski will officially begin his new duties on June 14th."

great1

Nov 13, 2009
Fergus, Ontario
I really don't want to believe this just because of how crushing it is every time it turns out to be false.

The new COO beginning the day after a potential game 7 is certainly encouraging but I would feel much more confident if he didn't have ties to Melnyk.

It is possible we didn't rebrand yet this summer because that is a decision new owners would want to make.

I don't know what to think any more, new ownership would feel like winning the Stanley Cup at this point.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Expect the worse but hope for the best, that's my Sens fan motto, even if likely false it's been nice to simply dream about the possibility of returning to respected status amongst the league and being able to compete instead of now nervously laughing along with the potshots from other fanbases whilst quickly trying to re-direct the conversation to something else.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
theree was a twitter thread about the NHL loaning the team money on the condition the team is sold by next year.... hearings from the inner circle so take with a grain of salt.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I’m not sure new ownership would mean a change in the GM’s chair, especially since Dorion just signed a three year extension.

I would hope we add to our hockey operations department though. We need more scouts. I know Dorion said he likes having a smaller staff, but I can’t imagine he’d be against more scouts being brought in. I also wonder if he really meant that or not. Maybe he didn’t want to piss off the boss, so he was just towing the company line.

If Alfie is around as part of ownership and upper management Dorion will be a gonner.

No doubt in my mind.

I have been hearing they are being sold from some legitimate sources for 6 months now. Ill believe it when I see it. My hopes were up but they aren't any longer.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If Alfie is around as part of ownership and upper management Dorion will be a gonner.

Have seen this insinuated before around here, is there anything that points to Alfie having a rocky relationship with Dorion?? Or are we just speculating. The worked together at last year's draft. I would assume that his issue is mainly with Melnyk and not Dorion.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Have seen this insinuated before around here, is there anything that points to Alfie having a rocky relationship with Dorion?? Or are we just speculating. The worked together at last year's draft. I would assume that his issue is mainly with Melnyk and not Dorion.
I would assume if Alfredsson had any say in forming a front office he'd want to purge morons like Dorion from the ranks. That'd be what any intelligent senior advisor/manager would do. Lee and Dorion would be out the door so fast you'd feel the air displace all the way from Orleans.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
For those asking for Dorion to leave, I’d be up to giving him a chance with a proper owner. His leash should be short and he should be well surrounded.

Everyone was crapping on Murray all these years but he did soooo much to “hide” the Melnyk factor. Looking back, Murray did an exemplary job with the constraints and meddling done by Melnyk. Maybe Dorion just needs a proper front office.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
If a miracle happens and a new ownership ever does buy the Senators, they should clean house. Start it like a brand new franchise (keep all the good scouts though). But otherwise, just start over.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I feel pessimistic today lol. I don't see any imminent sale happening unfortunately. Mainstream media would have leaked something by now no?

Reactions: Samboni

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
The Carrot is pretty on the ball most of the time, so I won't begrudge something outside his control leading this astray.
Yes, Dorion and Lee should get out of town under new ownership. So should Murray's spawn that is still with the team.

Start fresh, ride in Karlsson in a massive chariot crushing Habs and Leafs fans (or homeless guys posing as reasonable facsimiles) underneath.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
I feel pessimistic today lol. I don't see any imminent sale happening unfortunately. Mainstream media would have leaked something by now no?

I am not so sure they would. Anyone who has a source and knows something is probably a good enough insider to not want to piss the NHL off. One word of this from a guy like Friedman, Mackenzie, Dredger, etc and the Cup finals become secondary to most hockey fans. (other then fans of those teams) All the attention and talk will go right to Ottawa and because nothing can be announced until after the playoffs are over it will linger and be a consistent distraction. The top insiders know when to release stuff and what to release. Staying to much or saying at the wrong time hurts their ability to get more info. For example Friedman (i believe it was him) was talking a while back about a high end drafted prospect struggling in the CHL due to a video game addiction. He never said who or gave enough hints to figure it out as giving the name looks bad on him from of point of view of the people giving the info. Next time maybe he does not get any info and has nothing to say.

Ottawa media members could say something but what would they gain? They get the story but piss of the NHL and the new owners doing it. Good luck getting inside info or special treatment after that.

It may or may not be happening. Not sure what i believe but i don't think we will be getting any insider info on it during the playoffs (especially the cup finals) if it is happening.

Reactions: Panic at the Back

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
I would assume if Alfredsson had any say in forming a front office he'd want to purge morons like Dorion from the ranks. That'd be what any intelligent senior advisor/manager would do. Lee and Dorion would be out the door so fast you'd feel the air displace all the way from Orleans.
Unless of course Alfie doesn't think Dorion is a moron... :dunno: Remember that Dorion was a GM of the year candidate just last year if I recall and we just don't know how much of this is Melnyk's doing. Alfie would have a much better idea.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I am not so sure they would. Anyone who has a source and knows something is probably a good enough insider to not want to piss the NHL off. One word of this from a guy like Friedman, Mackenzie, Dredger, etc and the Cup finals become secondary to most hockey fans. (other then fans of those teams) All the attention and talk will go right to Ottawa and because nothing can be announced until after the playoffs are over it will linger and be a consistent distraction. The top insiders know when to release stuff and what to release. Staying to much or saying at the wrong time hurts their ability to get more info. For example Friedman (i believe it was him) was talking a while back about a high end drafted prospect struggling in the CHL due to a video game addiction. He never said who or gave enough hints to figure it out as giving the name looks bad on him from of point of view of the people giving the info. Next time maybe he does not get any info and has nothing to say.

Ottawa media members could say something but what would they gain? They get the story but piss of the NHL and the new owners doing it. Good luck getting inside info or special treatment after that.

It may or may not be happening. Not sure what i believe but i don't think we will be getting any insider info on it during the playoffs (especially the cup finals) if it is happening.

Your rationale makes perfect sense for the hockey insiders, but this is not where any such leak would be given first. Think of all the lawyers, clerks, accountants, bankers etc that would be involved in a deal like this. It would first be leaked to financial insiders at the Globe or someone like that, then maybe hockey guys after that. There would be articles appearing in the financial circles first.

I don't buy this story even a little bit, not a chance could you keep wraps on a deal this big for months. An idiot leaf fan tweets something random and the place explodes, people can't be this gullible. I get that everyone wants it to be true but simmer down.

Of course there are still interested parties, it will be a great product downtown. Melnyk will only sell now if he gets an offer worth quite a bit more than current market value, otherwise he waits a while longer. It could happen in the near future but it hasn't happened yet, we'll know when it does

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Think of all the lawyers, clerks, accountants, bankers etc that would be involved in a deal like this.

You know what a confidentiality agreement is, and what would happen to these peoples employment if they leaked something, right?

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
You know what a confidentiality agreement is, and what would happen to these peoples employment if they leaked something, right?

Confidentiality agreements aren’t even necessary. These guys can’t talk about deals they are involved in as a matter of professional regulations and stuff.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014

You would think that Yost would say something, or Brennan, no?

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
You work a deal like this by keeping it out of the mitts of interns and any but the most senior clerks. I don’t really know, but if I were John Grisham and writing a novel about the deal, that what I would write. And that’s a fact.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
You would think that Yost would say something, or Brennan, no?

If I remember Don Brennan referenced a possible Melnyk sale on the Ridin' Pine podcast in November. Something like Melnyk looking to sell, and Karlsson refusing to re-sign if Melnyk is still owner.

That podcast is conveniently wiped off of the internet.....but you can find some loose reference to it on HFBoards and twitter.

(PS, does anybody have it in their downloads folder or anything that could re-upload it?)

Reactions: Ray Kinsella
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad