Salary cap

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I don't see any reason why OEL, Karlsson, or Doughty would choose Detroit if they made it to free agency. And in the bizarre event that they're interested in Detroit, if Green's contract is standing in your way and you can't do something about it, you're a terrible GM. Next off-season, it should be feasible for any GM worth his salt to trade Daley and/or trade Ericsson and Helm with modest retention (i.e. 15-20%).

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I want Green back (assuming he comes with a reasonable shorter-term deal). With the pace of today's NHL, its going to be pure drudgery for our forwards to be sent out every shift with a bunch of lead-footed defenseman who can't compensate by moving the puck. He'd also be a great lockerroom asset as the guy knows what its like to be a young offensive defenseman in this league. He could be a great mentor to Hronek, Cholo and likely Bouchard/Hughes. I suppose Hicketts too.

Why did Kevin Shattenkirk decide to sign with a franchise that basically went into full on tank mode as soon as the ink dried on his contract? Probably because it's close to home but Detroit is as relatively close to Sweden as any other NHL franchise. Drew Doughty is from London so he's about as close to Detroit as Toronto however Toronto probably makes more sense given they are much closer to being very competitive and he'd be a perfect fit there.

I have been fully behind a youth movement for FIVE YEARS and called the complete collapse we have witnessed over the past 3 years. So please keep that in mind with the following proposals.

1. Trade Gus Nyquist + the Vegas 1st rounder for one of the Islander's first round picks. You can trade Mantha if that's the guy they prefer, makes no difference to me really. Eventually though, we trade Nyquist before he hits UFA. Don't make the same mistakes you've made with Howard, Abdelkader, Helm, etc. TRADE HIM.
2. Draft a D-Man with the #6 pick. With the #11 or 12 pick draft a d-man or Kotkaniemi.
3. DO NOT sign Green. Call up someone from the Griffins, probably Hronek.
4. Let Kronwall and Howard walk after next year. I guess you can eat some salary to move Howard. The return is going to be negligible so DGAF either way.
5. Offer both OEL and Karlsson $11 or $12 million each for 7 years apiece.
6. Hopefully you are bad enough in 2018 to have the best odds to draft Jack Hughes.

With the strategy above and some luck you have the following lineup in 2019:

Forward: ($36 million + Hughes and Kotkaniemi entry salaries)
Abby - Jack Hughes (maybe) - Mantha (assuming you don't trade him)
Nielsen - Dylan Larkin - Helm
AA - Kotkaniemi (maybe) - Bert
Z - Rasmussen - Glen

Defense ($36.4 million)
OEL - Karlsson
2018 #6 pick - Daley*
DeKeyser - Ericsson*

-$3.95 million LTIR for Mule
+$1.67 million for Weiss

*2019 is their final year. Launch them into the sun ASAP but I'm not sure there's much market for either player.
In 2020 we have $7.4 million in freed up cap space from Ericsson and Daley.

So that gives you pretty much a full lineup of skaters for $72 million. You have plenty of cheap call ups you can use when injuries strike. The 2019 Salary Cap will probably be somewhere north of $80 million. So you can afford to spend $5 million on 2 goalies. Will this happen? It's incredibly unlikely to happen. However there are some takeaways that are worth keeping in mind.

• People who are scared of losing Mike Green were the same people who talked about how essential HOWIE, ABBY and HELMER were to keeping the streak alive!!! Let's try to learn from recent history folks.
  • It's never a bad idea to have cap space. Suppose OEL and Karlsson both like the area/arena/organization/Hank's epic beard and want to come here. I disagree with the idea we could simply waive a wand and clear cap space. You end up making awful deals when you are desperate. Please remember the David Legwand trade, folks.
  • When you have the opportunity to improve your roster you need to be aggressive. Now Ken Holland doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body, which is why I wanted a new GM who is eager and isn't tied to every over the hill vet on the roster. Dahlin was an opportunity we missed by getting worse odds while winning meaningless games late last year. Don't make the same mistake with Hughes.
  • It would also be epic if we had enough money to "buy" OEL and Karlsson in the same free agency class. If you look at the salary cap entry in Wikipedia, Detroit is mentioned as a team that outspent teams to acquire elite talent. We could pull of that coup once again with OEL and Karlsson. I mean, probably not gonna happen, but don't let freakin' Mike Green be the reason it can't happen.

Reactions: FMichael

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Why did Kevin Shattenkirk decide to sign with a franchise that basically went into full on tank mode as soon as the ink dried on his contract? Probably because it's close to home but Detroit is as relatively close to Sweden as any other NHL franchise. Drew Doughty is from London so he's about as close to Detroit as Toronto however Toronto probably makes more sense given they are much closer to being very competitive and he'd be a perfect fit there.

I have been fully behind a youth movement for FIVE YEARS and called the complete collapse we have witnessed over the past 3 years. So please keep that in mind with the following proposals.

1. Trade Gus Nyquist + the Vegas 1st rounder for one of the Islander's first round picks. You can trade Mantha if that's the guy they prefer, makes no difference to me really. Eventually though, we trade Nyquist before he hits UFA. Don't make the same mistakes you've made with Howard, Abdelkader, Helm, etc. TRADE HIM.
2. Draft a D-Man with the #6 pick. With the #11 or 12 pick draft a d-man or Kotkaniemi.
3. DO NOT sign Green. Call up someone from the Griffins, probably Hronek.
4. Let Kronwall and Howard walk after next year. I guess you can eat some salary to move Howard. The return is going to be negligible so DGAF either way.
5. Offer both OEL and Karlsson $11 or $12 million each for 7 years apiece.
6. Hopefully you are bad enough in 2018 to have the best odds to draft Jack Hughes.

With the strategy above and some luck you have the following lineup in 2019:

Forward: ($36 million + Hughes and Kotkaniemi entry salaries)
Abby - Jack Hughes (maybe) - Mantha (assuming you don't trade him)
Nielsen - Dylan Larkin - Helm
AA - Kotkaniemi (maybe) - Bert
Z - Rasmussen - Glen

Defense ($36.4 million)
OEL - Karlsson
2018 #6 pick - Daley*
DeKeyser - Ericsson*
Ain't no way this team drafts Hughes if they add Karlsson...

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Why did Kevin Shattenkirk decide to sign with a franchise that basically went into full on tank mode as soon as the ink dried on his contract? Probably because it's close to home but Detroit is as relatively close to Sweden as any other NHL franchise.
Kevin Shattenkirk was born in New Rochelle, New York, U.S..

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
One of Karlsson and OEL would be great. Not sure if its good cash management to aquire both. A bit like Rafalski x2 instead of Rafalski and Lidström.

In the Swe national team Hedman and Karlsson played well together and OEL and Larsson dito. The offense minded Karlsson and OEL benefit to play with good and large 2 way dmen. A Hedman type but with lower scoring (cheaper), would be good. Of course maybe DeKeyser is just that...or if there is someone a little bit better out there...

Last edited:

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Yeah, I mean, imagine a team with Karlsson ending up the 2nd worst team in the league. Literally impossible.

Something had to change with Ottawa for them to go from the ECF in 2017 to 2nd to last in 2018. I still somewhat suspect an intentional tank. I could also just be speculating out of boredom.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
One of Karlsson and OEL would be great. Not sure if its good cash management to aquire both. A bit like Rafalski x2 instead of Rafalski and Lidström.

In the Swe national team Hedman and Karlsson played well together and OEL and Larsson dito. The offense minded Karlsson and OEL benefit to play with good and large 2 way dmen. A Hedman type but with lower scoring (cheaper), would be good. Of course maybe DeKeyser is just that...or if there is someone a little bit better out there...
Interesting you bring up DeKeyser. What happened to him? He was a solid top 4 guy in the past, putting up 20-30 point seasons and being incredibly reliable, he just kind of forgot how to play hockey. I really hope he somehow bounces back.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Interesting you bring up DeKeyser. What happened to him? He was a solid top 4 guy in the past, putting up 20-30 point seasons and being incredibly reliable, he just kind of forgot how to play hockey. I really hope he somehow bounces back.

Supporting cast disappeared. Put him on a good team like Toronto, and he's just fine there.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Supporting cast disappeared. Put him on a good team like Toronto, and he's just fine there.

I'm not so sure. Certainly he would put up more points than he does in detroit, but defensivley, he's had so many individual errors and lost battles, its not even funny any more. He is silently becoming the new dan girardi (present day girardi)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
My friend's estimations:

No escalator - 78.1M cap
1.35% escalator - 79.1M (same escalator number as last summer)
2.5% escalator - 80.0M
5.0% escalator - 82.0M (maximum escalator)

Player's union will decide the escalator value.

History of the escalator:
9 times full 5%
1 time 1.35% (2017)
1 time 0% (2007)

I predict the 2.5% = 80.0M. They like even numbers.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Matt Cane (@Cane_Matt) | Twitter

Matt Cane has got some credit of his past cap estimations, and this is how our team would look after extensions with his estimated cap figures. There is a link for a public file found from his Twitter account.

Term estimates are my own pickings from his table.

RFAs
Dylan Larkin, 6 years, 6.3M
Anthony Mantha, 2 years, 4.5M
Andreas Athanasiou, 2 years, 1.9M
Tyler Bertuzzi, 3-years, 1.3M
Martin Frk, 1-year, 1.0M

UFAs
Mike Green, 4 years, 5.5M

How would the cap look after these:

1. Larkin 6.3M
2. Zetta 6.083M
3. Nielsen 5.25M
4. Nyquist 4.75M
5. Mantha 4.5M
6. Abdelkader 4.25M
7. Helm 3.85M
8. AA 1.9M
9. Glendening 1.8M
10. Bertuzzi 1.3M
11. Rasmussen 894k
12. Svechnikov 863k
---------------
13. Frk 1.0M (Frk or any other depth forward if he leaves)
14. Witkowski 750k

1. Green 5.5M
2. DeKeyser 5.0M
3. Kronner 4.75M
4. Ericsson 4.25M
5. Daley 3.167M
6. Jensen 812k
-----------------
7. Hicketts 635k

(Ouellet 1.25M traded)

1. Howard 5.292M
2. Backup 800k

All existing contracts + estimations --> This would be 79.999M total. If cap is 80M, just under. funny how close it went just by accident. :)

Johan Franzen included, not over the cap through his LTIR. Weiss buyout included and Larkin+BErtuzzi bonus slide from last season included.

Reactions: Larkin1578

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Matt Cane (@Cane_Matt) | Twitter

Matt Cane has got some credit of his past cap estimations, and this is how our team would look after extensions with his estimated cap figures. There is a link for a public file found from his Twitter account.

Term estimates are my own pickings from his table.

RFAs
Dylan Larkin, 6 years, 6.3M
Anthony Mantha, 2 years, 4.5M
Andreas Athanasiou, 2 years, 1.9M
Tyler Bertuzzi, 3-years, 1.3M
Martin Frk, 1-year, 1.0M

UFAs
Mike Green, 4 years, 5.5M

How would the cap look after these:

1. Larkin 6.3M
2. Zetta 6.083M
3. Nielsen 5.25M
4. Nyquist 4.75M
5. Mantha 4.5M
6. Abdelkader 4.25M
7. Helm 3.85M
8. AA 1.9M
9. Glendening 1.8M
10. Bertuzzi 1.3M
11. Rasmussen 894k
12. Svechnikov 863k
---------------
13. Frk 1.0M (Frk or any other depth forward if he leaves)
14. Witkowski 750k

1. Green 5.5M
2. DeKeyser 5.0M
3. Kronner 4.75M
4. Ericsson 4.25M
5. Daley 3.167M
6. Jensen 812k
-----------------
7. Hicketts 635k

(Ouellet 1.25M traded)

1. Howard 5.292M
2. Backup 800k

All existing contracts + estimations --> This would be 79.999M total. If cap is 80M, just under. funny how close it went just by accident. :)

Johan Franzen included, not over the cap through his LTIR. Weiss buyout included and Larkin+BErtuzzi bonus slide from last season included.
According to Custance Mantha will likely sign a bridge deal for less than $4million, so that gives us more breathing room.
If we could trade Helm with about $1million retained, and sign a 4th liner like Schaller for a cheaper deal that would clear up some space. Helm at $2.8 million is a nice asset.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
We are not gonna trade Helm because he has full NTC for next season.
Just checked, who doesn't have a NTC on our team? Whenever I think of a player that makes sense to trade I look and they have a f***ing NTC.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Just checked, who doesn't have a NTC on our team? Whenever I think of a player that makes sense to trade I look and they have a ****ing NTC.

I discovered this the hard way while playing Franchise Hockey Manager a few months ago. Neilsen, DeKeyser, Helm, Abdelkader, and a few others all had either NTC or NMC. Each of those guys are taking a giant chunk of cap space too.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Know it's a 1/1000 chance it happens, especially since Holland supposedly wants to bring back Green, but I wonder if Kenny has any interest in overpaying Kovalchuk as a one year mercenary and then flip at the deadline; essentially trading Illitch's money for some picks. As long as Larkin and Mantha's raises are in the reasonable range (5.5-6.5), we have the cap space to offer an enticing deal with the promise he'd be traded to a contender.

Again, just spitballing, and I doubt it happens, but Holland's actions the past two seasons show he wouldn't be that adverse to that idea. If Kovy has no TRUE contender wanting him hard, and we come up a mil or two higher than a team looking to give him a multi, I bet he at least considers it

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Know it's a 1/1000 chance it happens, especially since Holland supposedly wants to bring back Green, but I wonder if Kenny has any interest in overpaying Kovalchuk as a one year mercenary and then flip at the deadline; essentially trading Illitch's money for some picks. As long as Larkin and Mantha's raises are in the reasonable range (5.5-6.5), we have the cap space to offer an enticing deal with the promise he'd be traded to a contender.

Again, just spitballing, and I doubt it happens, but Holland's actions the past two seasons show he wouldn't be that adverse to that idea. If Kovy has no TRUE contender wanting him hard, and we come up a mil or two higher than a team looking to give him a multi, I bet he at least considers it

My gut tells me if this move by Kovalchuk was related to money, he would just stay in the KHL. I think his only goal is to win a cup and he will pick the team he believes gives him the best chance to do so...rather than gamble on playing over half the year with a mediocre team and hope that Detroit will trade him to the right contender.

Kenny should 100% try to do what he did with Vanek (with a better player), but it might be a hard feat to pull off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->