Salary Cap: Salary Cap/UFA/RFA Discussion II (Cap 75M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think we have just enough depth on D with room for a single elite puck moving defenseman to play with Weber.

Weber
Markov (expect him to re-sign)
Davidson
Petry
Schlemko
Benn
Redmond
Jerabek

That's 8 guys. I can honestly also see us replacing Markov with an elite puck moving defenseman to pair with Weber since we also have Lernout as the 9th guy.

I think that would give us $23M for 3 players: #1LD, #1RW, #1C. Lots to ask but the cap space is there.

How did you come up with $23M? Is that without signing Rads, Markov, Galchenyuk and getting rid of Plekanec?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
21m LEFT TO SPEND........

Rads 6.25M @ 4 yrs
Markov 4.25M @ 2 yrs
Chucky 5.0M @ 1 yr
That's 15.5M spent, leaving approx 5.5M to spend if no trades are made...

What or who can we get for 5M ???

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

Rads 6.25M @ 4 yrs
Markov 4.25M @ 2 yrs
Chucky 5.0M @ 1 yr

We need a a top 4 D, at least 1 C amd 2 C if we manage to trade Plekanec. I would personally trade Pacioretty.

There is no way Bergevin improves the team this summer.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006

Rads 6.25M @ 4 yrs
Markov 4.25M @ 2 yrs
Chucky 5.0M @ 1 yr

It seems the target is a dman for that money. So far linked to Scandella, Methot and Alzner

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
There is no way Bergevin improves the team this summer.

I agree. I just don't see it happening. If he can do it i'll give him credit but it's far from done.

We need a strong top 4 LHD. I can live with one of Schlemko or Benn in the top 4 if we spend the money saved on a very good dman. Quickly the only one i see right now available july 1st is Shattenkirk. And i'm really not a fan of him. Many teams will want to sign Shattenkirk anyway. I don't see any other dmen who might be available july 1st who would justify having Benn or Schlemko in our top 4. And this includes Markov. I love the guy but he'll be 39 ... It's really not an ideal situation.

It's the same for center. There's not much available this summer. There's Hanzal and maybe BigJoe. That's pretty much it.

It's really a weak year for UFA and to be honest two of the most interesting upcoming UFA are Markov and Radulov.

We don't have much assets to trade. We are super strong on the wing (if we resign radulov) so we could use a winger to solve one of the two main issue (top 4 LHD and 1st center) but after that the only assets we have to solve the 2nd issue is Juulsen maybe.

People are drooling over the cap space we will have if we don't sign Radulov and Markov. I really don't understand. There's pretty much nothing available july 1st worth drooling about as far as i'm concerned. Maybe if you can land both Marleau and Thornton but that's a big gamble. They will probably resign in SJ anyway.

Boyon90

Sep 23, 2013
I thibk its normalthat radulov and Galchenyuk havent signed yet, they're testing market to adjust their value

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He could go to arbitration (I believe he qualifies) if he doesn't like the offer. One step closer to UFA.

If he opts for arbitration and they go through the process all the way and the arbitrator gives their verdict on a contract, it's the Habs that have the right to refuse, not Galchenyuk.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
If he opts for arbitration and they go through the process all the way and the arbitrator gives their verdict on a contract, it's the Habs that have the right to refuse, not Galchenyuk.

I'm talking about refusing a contract offer from the team, then going to arbitration. I thought that was obvious. Why would a player go to arbitration otherwise, unless he wants to leave the team?

If the team refuses the arbitration award, the player becomes UFA. If the player accepts the arbitration award, he can go through the same process the following year, which is one step from UFA.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm talking about refusing a contract offer from the team, then going to arbitration. I thought that was obvious. Why would a player go to arbitration otherwise, unless he wants to leave the team?

If the team refuses the arbitration award, the player becomes UFA. If the player accepts the arbitration award, he can go through the same process the following year, which is one step from UFA.

Yea. I know how it works. I misread your first post I quoted. In my head I thought you wrote that Galchenyuk can refuse what the arbitrator gives as their verdict. I just re-read that you meant if he refuses it now and then takes Habs to arbitration. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->