Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - Waiting for Day Two Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I’m not sure why people are trying to re-write history. I want no part of bringing Fleury back because he does have a penchant for choking on big stages. But to say he didn’t play a huge role in the 2017 run is just a straight up lie. If he doesn’t play the way he did against Washington they never make it to the conference finals. Once Murray went down before game 1 in Columbus Fleury played pretty damn good hockey in the first two rounds. The wheels started to get shaky against Ottawa and I agree and understand why they made the switch, but you absolutely can’t just toss aside the way he played in the first 2 rounds

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Do you know the thing that bothers me about that Rossi tweet? You know for a fact that the Penguins are going to wait to address their goalie situation until they hear what Fleury is going to do. They're going to sit on their hands to wait for Fleury to make a decision, and if he decides on retiring, they're caught with their pants down and no options to upgrade in net.

If I were Hextall, I'd call Chicago right now and say "will you trade Fleury with salary retained straight up for Jarry?". If they say no, move on. Don't wait to see if Fleury will refuse to play for Chicago.

Why would Chicago (who is cap strapped) trade Fleury to us for Jarry & retain salary?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I actually don't think Chicago picked up Fleury just to flip him, I think they're trying to make the playoffs next year. Toews and Dach are supposed to be back, they've added Jones to their defense and now have added Fleury in net. I think the only way that they'd trade Fleury is if he refused to report to Chicago, but at that point I think retirement would be the most likely outcome.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I’m not sure why people are trying to re-write history. I want no part of bringing Fleury back because he does have a penchant for choking on big stages. But to say he didn’t play a huge role in the 2017 run is just a straight up lie. If he doesn’t play the way he did against Washington they never make it to the conference finals. Once Murray went down before game 1 in Columbus Fleury played pretty damn good hockey in the first two rounds. The wheels started to get shaky against Ottawa and I agree and understand why they made the switch, but you absolutely can’t just toss aside the way he played in the first 2 rounds

However, people have a tendency to overemphasize how he played too. He was better than in previous playoffs, but as you said, he was getting close to choking again. Sully was wise to go back to Muzz accordingly.

Reactions: heysmilinstrange

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Who tossed it aside?

The discussion was Fleury losing his starting job in four of six post seasons which is Fact.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Totally fair. We don't win the Cup in 17 without Fleury in the Caps series. I will always appreciate him for that and for the other Cups. But I also can't forget how often he let us down in the playoffs and it just feels weird to want him back because our current goalie shit the bed in the playoffs. Especially at $7 million.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
However, people have a tendency to overemphasize how he played too. He was better than in previous playoffs, but as you said, he was getting close to choking again. Sully was wise to go back to Muzz accordingly.

I agree that he was wise to go back to Murray when he did, but people seem to think they would have beat Washington if Fleury wasn’t in net. I’m not so sure of that

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Fleury going from Vegas to Chicago defense would be a nightmare. Chicago sucks hard, even with Jones.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Why would Chicago (who is cap strapped) trade Fleury to us for Jarry & retain salary?

Chicago is not cap strapped. they have 10.5mil in LTIR money from Seabrook and Shaw for next season. And Seabrook gives them 6.8mil in LTIR money for two seasons after this one.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Totally fair. We don't win the Cup in 17 without Fleury in the Caps series. I will always appreciate him for that and for the other Cups. But I also can't forget how often he let us down in the playoffs and it just feels weird to want him back because our current goalie shit the bed in the playoffs. Especially at $7 million.

Oh, I don’t want him back lol. I’m just saying that people acting like beating Washington was a sure thing without him net are being disingenuous. He stole that series for the Pens

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Talking about Flower the three time cup winner is like talking about Kuhnhackl the two time cup winner. It's true but not the whole truth. Not that it's particularly relevant but that particular piece of tire pumping irks me enough to say it.

What is relevant is that he's probably not worth 7m considering our other needs. If Chicago fancy flipping him cheap with retention then sure, let's talk. Otherwise... *shrugs*

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Talking about Flower the three time cup winner is like talking about Kuhnhackl the two time cup winner. It's true but not the whole truth. Not that it's particularly relevant but that particular piece of tire pumping irks me enough to say it.

What is relevant is that he's probably not worth 7m considering our other needs. If Chicago fancy flipping him cheap then sure, let's talk. Otherwise... *shrugs*

I feel like this is super faulty logic considering how important Fleury was in their 2017 run.

You can throw aside his 2016 run as that was all Murray. But I really don't think you can do that with the 2017 run. He has definitely made 3 cup finals himself and was absolutely essential in setting up a 4th cup finals appearance.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Who tossed it aside?

The discussion was Fleury losing his starting job in four of six post seasons which is Fact.

It seems like a large portion of people that don’t want him back think beating Washington that year was a guarantee without him in net. I’m not in that boat. He stole that series for the Pens and if he doesn’t they don’t win the cup

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It seems like a large portion of people that don’t want him back think beating Washington that year was a guarantee without him in net. I’m not in that boat. He stole that series for the Pens and if he doesn’t they don’t win the cup

I’m fine with taking him back if it is cheap and he has some retention. The issue is he isn’t really much of a solution to what has ailed this team in the playoffs.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It would be funny to see CHI forced to trade Fleury to us. Hextall seems like the type of GM to take full advantage of that.

Honestly I would prefer this scenario not happen, unless it happens literally today or tomorrow. I don't want Hextall to be waiting out on Fleury deciding if he wants to screw over Chicago or not.

Unless you can flip Jarry for Fleury literally today, look elsewhere.

Reactions: TimmyD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad