Speculation: Salary Cap solution

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
I have a proposal to solve the salary cap . Every team with cap issues should be allowed to exempt or franchise tag a drafted player of their choice and then let the rest count against the cap. The player can only qualify if he is drafted and developed by the team.
IE; Matthews would not count against the cap. Tavares would not qualify because he was obtained in a trade and likewise a free agent pick up would also not qualify for exemption.

For the lower class teams that have trouble getting to the floor they obviously would not need to take advantage of this advantage unless they choose to do so.
The salary Cap as it stands now is penalizing teams like the Leafs for drafting star players but unable to keep them. Penalizing teams for having a successful organization is the most ridiculous oxymoron that exists.

I guess the league expects every successful organization to operate like the New England Patriots, interchanging pieces every year but still being elite. Picking very late in round 1 but winning championships. They truly are an anomaly.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
How exactly are the Leafs being penalized for drafting Tavares?
They are not penalized for signing Tavares. They are penalized for drafting well. AM, Mitch, WN AJ, Reilly, Kadri etc. They need to paid at current market rates although we got a steal in Morgan and Kad's.
Other teams will face this problem too, Point,Laine,Aho etc will tilt the cap for their respective teams just to name a few. There are others.
My point is, this cap is too low for the star power in the league.

When there was no Cap teams like the Leafs, Rangers, Philly and a couple of others were not running away with dominance in regards to winning cups year after year. They were competitive with their teams but the money didn't win them cups.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
They are not penalized for signing Tavares. They are penalized for drafting well. AM, Mitch, WN AJ, Reilly, Kadri etc. They need to paid at current market rates although we got a steal in Morgan and Kad's.
Other teams will face this problem too, Point,Laine,Aho etc will tilt the cap for their respective teams just to name a few. There are others.
My point is, this cap is too low for the star power in the league.

When there was no Cap teams like the Leafs, Rangers, Philly and a couple of others were not running away with dominance in regards to winning cups year after year. They were competitive with their teams but the money didn't win them cups.
Your point is wrong. The cap is fine - GMs need to invest wisely. The players coming off their entry level contracts are the first wave of what has been deemed a generation of entitlement. They are producing as the level of established stars and want to be paid accordingly as the time for which players peaked used to be their late 20s. However, that age has been getting younger and, entitled or not, they have the right to ask to be paid for production even if it ends the bridge or second contract period. I expect the next CBA negotiations to have the owners request some sort of second contract cap for players and that will be a sticking point.

To randomly raise the salary cap means more revenue needs to be found to pay the players. So guess what Einstein - that will mean higher ticker prices, higher concession prices, higher shirt prices etc. Personally, I think the market pays enough and GMs/teams need to make tough choices on players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad