Salary Cap: Salary Cap/Roster Thread - As we look forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Even though the players' deals are only 1.2m apart in cap hit and for two more years, Hoffman is owed 11m+ over his last two years, and Boedker only 6m.

That Melnyk, he's a clever one.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Even though the players' deals are only 1.2m apart in cap hit and for two more years, Hoffman is owed 11m+ over his last two years, and Boedker only 6m.

That Melnyk, he's a clever one.

I feel like the Hofman GF situation absolutely tanked his value to be honest. Sure, it's a horrible return for the Senators and money is definitely a factor, but I think there were outside circumstances that you can excuse them on this trade.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Let's just call that deal what it was, it was a dump. It wasn't a cap dump, though the Sens are certainly on the brink of threatening the cap floor even if Stone gets a huge raise (and he will). It was a distraction dump.

SJ has almost positioned themselves as the "take a chance on off-ice crap guys" lately between getting both Hoffman and Kane for very little return. That doesn't make Kane's new deal any more palatable but hey, kudos for identifying a niche I guess.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
zcn8v2Q.gif

My reaction to this entire Hoffman situation

Reactions: KIRK and ColePens

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I feel like the Hofman GF situation absolutely tanked his value to be honest. Sure, it's a horrible return for the Senators and money is definitely a factor, but I think there were outside circumstances that you can excuse them on this trade.

Exactly what uncle Eugene wants you to think. Let no crisis go to waste!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Honestly, I don't even know that the Senators got a worse return for Hoffman than the Sharks did. The Sharks only got a 2019 2nd, a 2018 4th and a 2018 5th for Hoffman and a 2018 7th, that's honestly not that impressive. I don't know that I'd say that is a better return than Boedker, you can probably get that for Boedker as a rental.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Honestly, I don't even know that the Senators got a worse return for Hoffman than the Sharks did. The Sharks only got a 2019 2nd, a 2018 4th and a 2018 5th for Hoffman and a 2018 7th, that's honestly not that impressive. I don't know that I'd say that is a better return than Boedker.

Boedker has been absolutely horrible in San Jose.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
San Jose honestly has one of the better defenses in the league. They are obviously clearing for either JVR or Tavares.

Eh, I think SJ would take whatever good player is available. If JT isn't hitting the market, they'd still happily pony up for Carlson imo. And maybe JVR.

And they've long been rumored to be interested in EK.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
He was on pace for 40 points last season, though. He was bad in his first season, but he was fine last year.

Since joining the Sharks he has scored at a 33 point pace all the while being a possession drain for 4 million dollars per.

For reference the bad version (last 2 seasons) of Hagelin, scored at a 30 point pace while being a possession and PK stud.

Id imagine a team looking moving Boedker for cap space is more than thrilled with a 2nd and 4th.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Since joining the Sharks he has scored at a 33 point pace all the while being a possession drain for 4 million dollars per.

For reference the bad version (last 2 seasons) of Hagelin, scored at a 30 point pace while being a possession and PK stud.

Id imagine a team looking moving Boedker for cap space is more than thrilled with a 2nd and 4th.

Well that's not too surprising, considering I said "he was bad in his first season but fine last year". I don't know why you're looking at his overall stats with the Sharks over 2 seasons when I specifically said one of them was bad.

For comparison, Sheary last season had 16 ES goals and 27 ES points last season while playing 12.7 ES minutes a night. Boedker had 11 ES goals and 29 ES points while playing 11.9 ES minutes a night. Boedker also had a lot more defensive zone starts, which explains why his possession stats weren't good. Boedker is a fine player, he's a little overpaid but it's nothing ridiculous.

I'd honestly rather have Boedker on the Penguins than Sheary, I think Boedker would be really useful here. I don't want him at $4 million, but I'd be fine with him at $3 million.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Honestly, I don't even know that the Senators got a worse return for Hoffman than the Sharks did. The Sharks only got a 2019 2nd, a 2018 4th and a 2018 5th for Hoffman and a 2018 7th, that's honestly not that impressive. I don't know that I'd say that is a better return than Boedker, you can probably get that for Boedker as a rental.

I think it was much more about clearing space. This move reminds me a lot of what Steve Yzerman did in 2017.

MARCH 1: Tampa Bay Lightning trade F Valtteri Filppula, a fourth-round pick and a conditional seventh-round pick in the 2017 Draft to Philadelphia Flyers for D Mark Streit

then

MARCH 1: Tampa Bay Lightning trade D Mark Streit to the Pittsburgh Penguins for a fourth-round pick in the 2018 Draft

So Filppula and a 7th for...nuttin... Cleared all that space.

Gotta think Ottawa had to get a forward of some respect back in the deal and Florida isn't exactly overflowing with spare parts. So I can't see a similar deal involving Ottawa and Florida directly.

I've been out of the loop here for a couple weeks. I expect this thread to keep me posted!

Watch an episode of Real Housewives and you'll be about 95% caught up.

I honestly can't believe the value for Hoffman. Maybe that will be a wake up call for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad