Salary Cap: Salary Cap/Roster Thread - As we look forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'll say again, Kessel only looked like himself in these playoffs when he spent a few periods/period and-a-half with Geno. It actually makes sense when you look at the evidence. I don't think it's a lie. And I really like Phil. But I remember commenting in the GDT of whatever game Phil and Geno were re-united, that Phil actually looked like himself for the first time in the many weeks. I know that correlation/=causation and all that, but it really stood out to me.

Phil's a heck of a hockey player, but maybe his reputation, at least partly, precedes him.

Well to be fair, he didn't fit with Brassard and he wasn't a fit with Sheahan, imagine his frustration trying to force chemistry with 2 players that are not suitable to his style of play and he's a perfect fit for a center that could use him and they won't do it.

I think Kessel's anger is 100% justified and the coaching staff is in the wrong here, not him. I 100% believe that, I will always believe that whether he's still here or not. And on the flip side, the idiotic tendency of this team to never give Malkin stable wingers has been one of the biggest f***ing points of anger for me since Malkin joined the league. The team will always cater to Crosby 1st, Malkin 2nd. I feel for Geno, always being a soldier and being there, while getting shafted.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Goligoski weren't a former Penguin, would you guys still want him? If I'm trading Phil, I'm not accepting a soon to be 33 year old as part of the package.

It really depends, if we can send them Maatta and expand on the deal, sure. Or hell without Kessel, I would even explore a Maatta + Sheary for Goligoski (15% retained), Perlini, and a 2nd.

Guentzel, Crosby, Hornqvist
Hagelin, Malkin, Kessel
Perlini, Brassard, Sprong
ZAR, Sheahan, Rust

Dumoulin, Letang
Goligoski, Schultz
Oleksiak, UFA/Ruhwedel

Reactions: Riptide

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
My big concern with trading Maatta is that I'm doubtful that you'll bring in a guy with equal puck moving talent that can skate dramatically better than Maatta. If I'm trading Maatta, I want an elite skater back to replace him, I don't want someone who's just a better skater than Maatta. I'd rather keep him if I'm only getting a moderate improvement in skating while trading him, I want a massive improvement if I'm moving him.

I would sign John Moore, moves the puck well, bigger, faster, is more of whatever he is going to be, now so there's no surprises maybe for a few more points as the guy is capable of it, but he's a perfect fit for the style the Pens play for a #4/5 type of guy.

I would go after Moore in either case for a Moore, Oleksiak pairing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Goligoski weren't a former Penguin, would you guys still want him? If I'm trading Phil, I'm not accepting a soon to be 33 year old as part of the package.

Goligoski hasn't played for the Penguins in like 7 years, that's not a factor at all. I'd be interested in him because he's a top pair LD and the Penguins could really use an improvement on LD.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
There was a Yohe article today that said that Kessel would like to go to Arizona, they're just hesitant with Kessel because of salary implications. He'd like to play under Tocchet.

That makes sense. I heard they got along really well. Pretty quiet media wise for Phil too. They would have a decent forward group too (and an awesome goalie). Playoffs might not be too far away for them
If things go right.

If Gogs is coming back that should ease the hesitation at the salary. Don’t really want Phil to leave but if he wants to leave I’d be good with that.

Potentially opens up a Maatta trade too.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I honestly think Jarry is gone this summer, it's where JR will recoup a pick and likely add a D prospect. Could also possibly pair Hunwick with him to a team like Buffalo I would think.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I will be content with Kessel for 5th OA straightup because I do believe the relationship is that toxic.

Oh hellll, no.
We tryin' to win Cups here, bud.

One deal i thought up was something like #5+Hjarmalsson+Panik which allows JR to be a player in 2019 Free Agency + gets him a deeper lineup for a 2019 run + you get a possible young future core piece at #5 that'll be on thier ELC.
JR likes to get guys with term tho, i've noticed so not sure if #5 being the only piece that stays past 2019(possibly), i dunno if that would be enough for him.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I have said this before, but Kessel is more valuable than Sullivan.

The end of the Disco Dan era was brutal, and so too was Johnston. At the start of 2016, the entire dynamic of the team changed when Sullivan replaced MJ, and the team became a buzzsaw. Kessel was a big part of that, but so too were Hagelin/Daley, Rust, Murray, Dumo, Letang and even today's whipping-boy-du-jour Sheary. That was the best team of the Crosby/Malkin era.

Anyway, from October-December 2015, Kessel had 21 points in 37 games.
Phil Kessel Stats and News

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I honestly think Jarry is gone this summer, it's where JR will recoup a pick and likely add a D prospect. Could also possibly pair Hunwick with him to a team like Buffalo I would think.

I’d think Jarry stays unless it’s an overpayment type of trade. Unless they think we need a more experienced back up.

Although restructuring the D helps out the goalies quite a bit. Maybe some game plan tweaks too depending on what our roster becomes.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
What do you think Jarry’s return would be, a 3rd round pick?

He’s a complete unknown. I just don’t think this return would be worth the risk of handing over the back-up job to DeSmith full-time with no competition.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What do you think Jarry’s return would be, a 3rd round pick?

He’s a complete unknown. I just don’t think this return would be worth the risk of handing over the back-up job to DeSmith full-time with no competition.

He's not a complete unknown. He's played enough games in the AHL and NHL to get people's attention. Jarry is worth more than a 3rd as well.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I’d think Jarry stays unless it’s an overpayment type of trade. Unless they think we need a more experienced back up.

Although restructuring the D helps out the goalies quite a bit. Maybe some game plan tweaks too depending on what our roster becomes.

I'd put more money on Jarry being traded this summer than Phil being moved.

Because the truth of the matter is that Murray is still too wet behind the ears even with his experience to be a mentor to a rookie that is pretty much the same freaking age. If Murray was 4yrs older with 4yrs more experience, then keeping Jarry would be something I would be a huge proponent for. But as it stands, Jarry and even DeSmith are expendable.

JR would be better off moving Jarry if he can get a decent prospect or a higher pick to land a good prospect (Defensemen) that this team needs and then go after a veteran back-up that isn't named Antti Niemi or Kari Lehtonen.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He's not a complete unknown. He's played enough games in the AHL and NHL to get people's attention. Jarry is worth more than a 3rd as well.
What’s Jarry’s value? Goalies haven’t had much value as of late. I can’t imagine a guy like Jarry sparks much interest around the league. Don’t most teams have a fringe NHL goalie in their system? I thought I was generous in saying we’d get a third round pick for him.

Last edited:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
In the article, it says the Coyotes don't want to take on Kessel's salary, so they're out.
Eh, nobody's out until they explicitly say so. Money can be freed up, moves can be made. I'm not saying it's likely, for a number of reasons (Arizona's self-imposed cap structure, Arizona's available assets vs. our needs, etc) but nothing is impossible if two teams want the deal to be made.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I'd put more money on Jarry being traded this summer than Phil being moved.

Because the truth of the matter is that Murray is still too wet behind the ears even with his experience to be a mentor to a rookie that is pretty much the same freaking age. If Murray was 4yrs older with 4yrs more experience, then keeping Jarry would be something I would be a huge proponent for. But as it stands, Jarry and even DeSmith are expendable.

JR would be better off moving Jarry if he can get a decent prospect or a higher pick to land a good prospect (Defensemen) that this team needs and then go after a veteran back-up that isn't named Antti Niemi or Kari Lehtonen.

That’s a valid point too. I do really like Jarry and would like to see him for another year playing some more games.

I’m not sure we’d get as good of a prospect that would be worth moving him though.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Having to log in every time I try to post is getting really f***ing annoying. Is anyone else having this issue?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What’s Jarry’s value?
Depends on the team.

To Buffalo, he might be worth a 2nd and a meh prospect. They desperately need to move forward with a new goalie and build from there with their draft pick and Botts knows Jarry and what he's capable of.

I'd even be interested in someone like Ristolainen, big, can skate, seems like he's been lost on the Sabres for a while, dude has serious talent, but he might never really realize it there.

I'd want Nylander + 4th for Jarry.

And for fun (to think about...for kicks) - So relax people, just a for fun scenario. The above proposal is what I would be aiming at.

Maatta and Jarry for Ristolainen and the Sabres 2nd. Then sign Moore...

Dumoulin, Letang
Moore, Schultz
Oleksiak, Ristolainen​

Reactions: Riptide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad