Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Well, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Pens must do now what they should have done last year, put Sprong on sid's or geno's wing for 10-15 games and see if he is NHL material. Putting him on the 3rd or 4th line is a waste, well then just send him back to W-B.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Pens must do now what they should have done last year, put Sprong on sid's or geno's wing for 10-15 games and see if he is NHL material. Putting him on the 3rd or 4th line is a waste, well then just send him back to W-B.

Based on the way they're using him I'm sure they'd love to send him to WBS but he'd have to pass through waivers and 100% would get claimed.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Thread ban for this man please.

You and your love of thread bans.

They can't send him back to WBS as he's no longer waiver exempt.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
yep, just like it was a waste for Kapanen in Toronto. They really messed up that kid's development keeping him on the 4th line for so long. Look at him now only scoring a point per game.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
yep, just like it was a waste for Kapanen in Toronto. They really messed up that kid's development keeping him on the 4th line for so long. Look at him now only scoring a point per game.
To be fair there was a lot of competition in Toronto.

And there is a lot of competition here for Sprong, too. Hornqvist and Kessel prety much force Sprong into the bottom 6. Otherwise you have Horns playing bottom 6 minutes on that contract, and that's just bad cap management. Then you have Rust and Simon and a lot of other players that prefer the right side, too.

We're just too crowded on the right side and so thin on the left. A trade needed to be made - and still might be.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
To be fair there was a lot of competition in Toronto.

And there is a lot of competition here for Sprong, too. Hornqvist and Kessel prety much force Sprong into the bottom 6. Otherwise you have Horns playing bottom 6 minutes on that contract, and that's just bad cap management. Then you have Rust and Simon and a lot of other players that prefer the right side, too.

We're just too crowded on the right side and so thin on the left. A trade needed to be made - and still might be.
or Rust can play LW. Or we can have a really good player at 4RW. That's a good thing, not bad.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

He was playing 11+ min a night and was waiver eligible last year so he played in the A too...because of Sprong’s situation, we don’t have that option..,playing him 6-7 min a night is a waste, ridiculous

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
He was playing 11+ min a night and was waiver eligible last year so he played in the A too...because of Sprong’s situation, we don’t have that option..,playing him 6-7 min a night is a waste, ridiculous
Good thing he's averaging closer to 9. Guess what, some games your 4th line doesn't play much. Especially since as a whole we aren't playing that well.

I'd be happy to see them play Sprong more. But nothing about his season so far has been ridiculous.

Reactions: Riptide

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If you let Hagelin walk, you have a bunch of other options available in free agency that may be worth looking at. Dzingel, Donskoi and Raffl all bring good speed while playing similar games to Hagelin. If you're more concerned with bringing in a 3rd wheel for Malkin instead of replacing Hagelin's speed, you also have McGinn, Wilson, Panik and Ferland as guys who can step into that 2nd line role. You can also aim higher and target guys like Silfverberg, Lee and Simmonds, although I doubt any of those 3 make it to free agency.

There are way too many wingers available in free agency this summer for me to want to re-sign Hagelin. The defense free agent pool is comically bad, but at forward, it's absolutely ridiculous. Duchene, Panarin, Pavelski, Eberle, Skinner, Brassard, Nyquist, Zuccarello, Lee, Simmonds...it's absurdly deep. Sure, a lot of those guys will re-sign, but not all of them.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It really comes down to cost; both for Hags and what we think his replacement will cost. If he wants to cash in on "two-time Cup winner" Carl Hagelin then we might need to move on. If he wants market value, well that's what we'll be getting if we replace him with a UFA on the market.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If you let Hagelin walk, you have a bunch of other options available in free agency that may be worth looking at. Dzingel, Donskoi and Raffl all bring good speed while playing similar games to Hagelin. If you're more concerned with bringing in a 3rd wheel for Malkin instead of replacing Hagelin's speed, you also have McGinn, Wilson, Panik and Ferland as guys who can step into that 2nd line role. You can also aim higher and target guys like Silfverberg, Lee and Simmonds, although I doubt any of those 3 make it to free agency.

There are way too many wingers available in free agency this summer for me to want to re-sign Hagelin. The defense free agent pool is comically bad, but at forward, it's absolutely ridiculous. Duchene, Panarin, Pavelski, Eberle, Skinner, Brassard, Nyquist, Zuccarello, Lee, Simmonds...it's absurdly deep. Sure, a lot of those guys will re-sign, but not all of them.

I think JR goes after Duchene tbh. Hagelin, Cullen (retires), Sheahan gone. Duchene comes in, we go look for a 4C in season. Maybe Kessel goes for Dman, who knows.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't see how we're gonna try to retain Brassard, re-sign Jake, and then still find a way to keep Hags around. I don't even know if that's a great thing to commit to.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

1) they can't - he would have to go through waivers, and there's little chance he clears.
2) he's showing us that he belongs here. He just needs to have a lot more games like he did the LV game, and not like the MTL/WSH games.
3) he doesn't need to be stapled to the top 6 to see if he's "NHL material". IF we want to see if his offensive game is really there, the top 6 is a much better spot then L4, but he can easily show us he belongs here without being stapled to the top 6. Just like he can show that he deserves more icetime simply by playing more like he did in the LV game, even if he's not scoring goals.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I want that speed on Geno's 3rd wheel.

I don't see how we're gonna try to retain Brassard, re-sign Jake, and then still find a way to keep Hags around. I don't even know if that's a great thing to commit to.

Assuming 6 for Jake and Brass and Hags staying on 4, that'd be an extra 8m to find. You could do that by sending all of Sheahan, Rust and Maatta out for futures in the latter two's case and it'd work providing Riikola doesn't cost too much and that you get a cap raise of at least 3m. Replace Rust with Sprong in the top 9, with Haggerty/Angello rising to the bottom line, replace Maatta with Riikola, replace Sheahan with Bluger or cheap veteran...

I'm not sure that'd be the smartest thing to do either, but it would be possible (there's another way there that involves moving Kessel too) and on paper I don't hate the replacements.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Assuming 6 for Jake and Brass and Hags staying on 4, that'd be an extra 8m to find. You could do that by sending all of Sheahan, Rust and Maatta out for futures in the latter two's case and it'd work providing Riikola doesn't cost too much and that you get a cap raise of at least 3m. Replace Rust with Sprong in the top 9, with Haggerty/Angello rising to the bottom line, replace Maatta with Riikola, replace Sheahan with Bluger or cheap veteran...

I'm not sure that'd be the smartest thing to do either, but it would be possible (there's another way there that involves moving Kessel too) and on paper I don't hate the replacements.

I guess I'm not understanding why we'd choose to move Rust so we could re-sign Hagelin.

Is this a LW/RW thing?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I guess I'm not understanding why we'd choose to move Rust so we could re-sign Hagelin.

Is this a LW/RW thing?

Yeah. That and you have assets from moving Rust vs nothing for losing Hagelin for free. That and there's maybe something to be said for how tightly Hagelin gels with both Geno and Kessel, while Rust is too tunnel vision for that sort of chemistry (imo at least).

Would I do it? Probably not, but maybe I would depending on how the season goes.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah. That and you have assets from moving Rust vs nothing for losing Hagelin for free. That and there's maybe something to be said for how tightly Hagelin gels with both Geno and Kessel, while Rust is too tunnel vision for that sort of chemistry (imo at least).

Would I do it? Probably not, but maybe I would depending on how the season goes.

Yeah, and whatever futures you could land. Maybe it could work.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I'm not opposed to doing so... but unless he's taking a good discount I wouldn't be doing it anytime soon. Wait till July when both sides have explored their options, and then see where things shake out.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
We need fresh bodies, i'm down for a new look Pens next season.
For sure. Fresh bodies, and hungry bodies. These guys play like they expect wins to just happen. I want JR to go after guys without their name on the Cup. Duchene would be fantastic with Jake-Sid and someone's gonna get him for pennies on the dollar because of the firesale in Ottawa. Saad might be a "change of scenery" candidate in Chicago and we all know how that worked last time we made one of those deals with the Hawks. Nevermind that Saad fits perfectly. :laugh:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Does anyone think Guentzel would be better used as 3C than 1RW?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Does anyone think Guentzel would be better used as 3C than 1RW?
They're both dog-shit options. Keep him at LW and find a right winger for that 1st line.

Jake-Sid light the world on fire when it matters. Sid's doing his "going through the motions" thing he always does to start the season so he can conserve energy for the playoffs. Doesn't mean that line doesn't need a winger though.

Reactions: Peat

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
We need fresh bodies, i'm down for a new look Pens next season.
There comes a time that you either get fresh or get stale.

This year the Pens dont have an identity... They arent that fast, physical, offensive or defensive.

I'm okay with anyone BUT... Crosby Malkin Guentzel Letang Dumo Schultz and Murray leaving. Torn on Hornqvist but depends on what kind of team the Pens are going with.

Reactions: 66-30-33
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->