Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Well, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So predictably the Wild are starting out like trash. They might look to move some players eventually.

Nino might be an even better option to look into at some point than Saad. Position flexibility, bit better all around game with similar ES numbers.

And how are you making the cap work? Moving Maatta was an option last week (if only because of the # of bodies we have)... however with Schultz going down for 4 months, moving Maatta isn't really an option right now unless you're getting another D back.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
And how are you making the cap work? Moving Maatta was an option last week (if only because of the # of bodies we have)... however with Schultz going down for 4 months, moving Maatta isn't really an option right now unless you're getting another D back.

Move Hagelin.

Hagelin ++ for a better attacking winger with similar defensive qualities is something I'd like a good swing at this season.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If we weren't so deep already on forward, I wouldn't mind picking up a kid like Jacob de la Rose. I hope he gets picked up and gets a chance elsewhere.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Nope, even if he takes a PAY CUT you can't have aging role players like this on your team.

You mean like Cullen? :sarcasm:

The thing is the cap. You can absolutely have "aging role players" like this on the team... it all just depends on how much they make. I'd sign him tomorrow if he'd take a 3/4 x 2.5m deal. However if that goes to 3m+ it becomes a harder deal to make. Over 3.5m and it's likely an impossible deal to make.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
We can't afford to pay Hagelin 3+ but we can afford to pay Byron that? Is he really that much better?

At scoring goals? Absolutely. The question is would he fit in here with Malkin. There's also the fact that we would have to trade for him. If Hagelin wanted 3x3.5m, and we could afford it cap wise, I'd just sign Hagelin rather then trying to find a way to get Byron.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Move Hagelin.

Hagelin ++ for a better attacking winger with similar defensive qualities is something I'd like a good swing at this season.
So who exactly is this person you speak of? I'm being cynical of course, but seriously I am having a hard time of thinking of a top 9 guy, speed, scoring, and PKs? I am sure there are plenty out there...just trying to put a name to it.

At scoring goals? Absolutely. The question is would he fit in here with Malkin. There's also the fact that we would have to trade for him. If Hagelin wanted 3x3.5m, and we could afford it cap wise, I'd just sign Hagelin rather then trying to find a way to get Byron.
Is Byron a PK guy? If so, would seem like a pretty good fit, but him and Hags pretty much the same age so not really getting much more in terms of time left on the legs per se.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

While I said yesterday that they would likely recall someone (or two people depending on the exact cap numbers and whether Grant was up after clearing waivers), I question whether they're recalling him solely to reach the upper limit.

Taylor makes 742,500. We now have 34,000 left in cap space. If we were really trying to max out the cap to take advantage of LTIR, we would have recalled Birks (.755) or Olund (.775) or Lafferty (.767). Any of those 3 (and especially the latter two) would have done much more to max out the ~776k in cap space we had. Especially when the player doesn't even need to report to Pittsburgh - they could have stayed in WBS.

It's possible that Rutherford doesn't care about the 34k, but seeing how the cap is calculated on a daily basis, and every penny saved adds up (other then when on LTIR ironically), it should still be something that he should want to max out if at all possible. I mean who knows what will happen down the road... but GMs have 1 shot at this when using LTIR - they must get as close as possible to the cap ceiling before putting someone on LTIR, because after it's done, there's no redo's.

Reactions: EightyOne

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If Schultz is out 4 months, then LTIR will allow for some move as needed. For now GMJR wants to see how the remaining 7 players perform. After 10 to 20 games things should be clearer as to what is needed or not needed.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I say Petrovic or if Oilers are going to tank go for Klefbom with them retaining some. Or both and Maatta goes to Oilers in a Klefbom deal.

Klefbom would be an absolutely amazing pick up. No clue how we'd land him (even with Maatta), but I would be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie. I remember the board talking about him last season. I'd still love him here.

As for Petrovic... meh. He's a RD... but I'm not sure he's the RD we should want or need... unless we're looking for a bruiser. At which point Olek really would need to go.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Klefbom would be an absolutely amazing pick up. No clue how we'd land him (even with Maatta), but I would be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
They would likely ask for Maatta and Sprong and something else. To be honest I don't really know his value, just know he is a good top 4 Dman.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
How on earth does Byron keep his shooting percentage that high anyway?

So who exactly is this person you speak of? I'm being cynical of course, but seriously I am having a hard time of thinking of a top 9 guy, speed, scoring, and PKs? I am sure there are plenty out there...just trying to put a name to it.

Zucker and Haula have been a long time dream, but Saad and Niederreiter both appear to be potential available and (in form) tick a lot of the boxes. Maybe not the PK one, but that's the least valuable.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
How on earth does Byron keep his shooting percentage that high anyway?

Low volume shooter who shots from right in close. I mean he scored 42 goals on 211 shots in those 20g seasons. And his shot isn't so "great" that that is why he's scoring like he does. Look at his goals against us the other night... That's how he scores. In that sense he'd be an ideal pick up (someone who drives the net). But he'd probably work better with Crosby then Malkin. On the flip side, he's also really primed to regress at some point.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Klefbom would be an absolutely amazing pick up. No clue how we'd land him (even with Maatta), but I would be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie. I remember the board talking about him last season. I'd still love him here.

As for Petrovic... meh. He's a RD... but I'm not sure he's the RD we should want or need... unless we're looking for a bruiser. At which point Olek really would need to go.
Klefbom is only at 4.1 cap hit...what a deal if you could swing that...

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
You mean like Cullen? :sarcasm:

The thing is the cap. You can absolutely have "aging role players" like this on the team... it all just depends on how much they make. I'd sign him tomorrow if he'd take a 3/4 x 2.5m deal. However if that goes to 3m+ it becomes a harder deal to make. Over 3.5m and it's likely an impossible deal to make.

Cullen has been on what, multiple 1 or 2 yr deals?
Much different than Hags who will expect a multiyear deal. And I should have further clarified my comment in that you can't have aging role players with big cap hits in the top of your lineup ie, Kunitz

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
The cap going up should never be a justification for overpaying an aging player like Hags. That money is needed for the next generation.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
The cap going up should never be a justification for overpaying an aging player like Hags. That money is needed for the next generation.

Unless the role can't be filled by the next generation?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Cullen has been on what, multiple 1 or 2 yr deals?
Much different than Hags who will expect a multiyear deal. And I should have further clarified my comment in that you can't have aging role players with big cap hits in the top of your lineup ie, Kunitz

When?
In 2006 he signed a 4 yr deal as a 30 yr old. @2.875m
In 2010 he signed a 3 yr deal as a 34 yr old. @3.5m
In 2013 he signed a 2 yr deal as a 37 yr old. @3.5m

Since then, he's been on 1 yr deals.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Unless the role can't be filled by the next generation?

Then, I think, trade. Not that I regard 4m for Hagelin as a significant overpay but our picks won't come to fruition in time to chase cups unless very lucky and we've got a lot of depth with which to trade. I'd rather go and get the right player then settle in this instance.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Two things.
1) there's few reasons to overpay anyone. Sometimes they're such a key player who would be next to impossible to replace (Guentzel, Hornqvist, Murray, etc) that you have no choice. But baring that, if they want so much more then what you can afford, you cut them loose. But Hagelin at 2.75-3.5m isn't an overpay. It might not be a contract we should offer him, but that doesn't mean it's a bad contract - just one that might not fit our budget.
2) Hagelin is 30 (31 next summer). That's hardly an "aging" player.

Also... the idea that we need to save money for younger players only works when there's players in "the next generation" worthy of spending it on. Right now, those guys are few and far between for us, to the point that we only have to worry about 3-4 of them, and 1 will come with someone else leaving (Riikola).

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Two things.
1) there's few reasons to overpay anyone. Sometimes they're such a key player who would be next to impossible to replace (Guentzel, Hornqvist, Murray, etc) that you have no choice. But baring that, if they want so much more then what you can afford, you cut them loose. But Hagelin at 2.75-3.5m isn't an overpay. It might not be a contract we should offer him, but that doesn't mean it's a bad contract - just one that might not fit our budget.
2) Hagelin is 30 (31 next summer). That's hardly an "aging" player.

Also... the idea that we need to save money for younger players only works when there's players in "the next generation" worthy of spending it on. Right now, those guys are few and far between for us, to the point that we only have to worry about 3-4 of them, and 1 will come with someone else leaving (Riikola).
I don't mind paying 3m for Hags but nothing like what he earns now or above.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Now what if she'd said that money is needed for throwing at Matt Duchene in FA ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad