Salary Cap: Salary Cap+Roster Building: 'twas a great run....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As long as JR sees Schultz as the answer to the second pair in terms of a puck mover and thinks like a dinosaur with his "pushback" mantra, I doubt things get fixed.

Get a legit top four guy that can really skate and transition the puck well, get some young legs that can skate and have puck skills.... then you will be well on your way to fixing things.

However, its like an addict in recovery... JR has to admit he has a problem before he can fix the mess he's made. Unfortunately, what he's said makes me feel like he doesn't understand where the real issues are. He reminds me of some of my old strung out buddies that insisted they didn't have a problem... denial can really be a dangerous thing.
The denial part is JR and Sully and Co. It's like none of that staff sees the real issues and lay the blame entirely on forwards. Even that article, JR mentions the teams systems but still won't say it. He has to fix the crap he's accumulated but he also needs to call out the coaching.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Moving Maatta and JJ alone and the defense getting better seems inevitable to me. We have a better LD than Maatta or JJ in-house, Sully was unfortunately married to playing him on the 3rd pairing.

Schultz is not a problem to me - but we need to give him a reliable partner.

Moving Letang requires us adding another good top pairing RHD. If we do that, I'll take that over the status quo. That said, Johnson and Maatta are much more pressing concerns because they were both pretty brutal on balance this year.

Who plays with Gudbranson? I guess we could give Riikola a spin. Trouble is getting rid of Maatta and JJ without taking someone else's massive dump in return seems unlikely.

Reactions: Peat

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Im sorry but this is stupid. I hate JJ as much as the next guy but this suggestion that we need to add a first to move him is absolute lunacy. Not just from you either. Ive seen several other suggest this mornic proposal. This isnt Hossa or Datsyuk. Hes a serviceable dman. 3-4 on his very best days, 5-6-7 on average. Sure we may not get tremendous value back but we certainly dont need to add a 1st to move him. Thats ****ing stupid and Im growing tired of seeing from representatives of this board. Get a clue. All of you.
This is a strong delivery. :laugh:

I disagree, though. The league has passed both JJ and Maatta by, and it's only going to get worse. I don't agree with packaging JJ with a first to be rid of him, but he absolutely cannot be on this blueline next season if we want to take steps to get back to being a real contender. JJ's entire career has been miserable, he's not a good, or even serviceable player. The fact that he's been around for more than a decade is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. The guy should be playing somewhere in Germany. :laugh:

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Yeah, that would be my route. That being said if we can do a Brodie for Schultz swap, I’d be inclined.

And I think Calgary would likely be entertaining that to get out of paying Brodie’s next contract.
Does Brodie actually prefer RD or is he playing there since he plays well with Gio?

I'm all for bringing in a Brodie/Brodin/Ekholm type defensemen to bolster our 2nd pair, but swapping Brodie and Schultz seems almost like a lateral move because we're still in need of that top 4 LD to pair with him.

If he plays LD, I'd be curious what would entice them enough to send him our way.

Dumo-Letang
Brodie-Schultz
Petts-Guds

is a championship caliber D imo

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Cody Eakin will not be able to show his face in Vegas after what happened last night. Can we pick him up to be our 3C? What would we need to trade?
Interesting logic you have there, if it's possible why not. It's not like we wouldn't go for a bargain anyway with JR probably circling around like an eagle up there.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
His ass defense got beat by assier defense.

It's maybe less so ass defense and ass coaching.

Ha okay man. I never said coaching didn't need to improve but defense roster is a HUGE reason why they are playing slower. Yet JR thinks this is the best defense he's built in his tenure. It's absurd.

Reactions: Peat

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He is literally one of the five worst D men in the league.

This is a strong delivery. :laugh:

I disagree, though. The league has passed both JJ and Maatta by, and it's only going to get worse. I don't agree with packaging JJ with a first to be rid of him, but he absolutely cannot be on this blueline next season if we want to take steps to get back to being a real contender. JJ's entire career has been miserable, he's not a good, or even serviceable player. The fact that he's been around for more than a decade is one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. The guy should be playing somewhere in Germany. :laugh:

I didnt say anything about his play. We know he isnt great. We know his value is low. Im saying he doesnt need a 1st attached to him to move him. That is a f***ing stupid suggestion and flat out wrong. The building up of the "whoa is us" steam here is reaching critical levels.

Adding a 1st to move Johnson...get the f*** out of here. Embarrassing assessment and suggestion.

Not cool, don't lump everyone together when most of us roll our eyes to that ****.

It was directed at the "all of you who think we need to add major assets to move JJ". Not the normies with credibility.

Reactions: Trade and 66-30-33

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Interesting...

Bu-bye Martin. I think Gochar should be back obviously. Reechis a GOB. Martin can be shown the door though. There are some decent coaches out I wouldnt mind beinging in as assistants. Our defensive game and structre is garbage and Martin is the defense coach. So yeah, bye.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Bu-bye Martin. I think Gochar should be back obviously. Reechis a GOB. Martin can be shown the door though. There are some decent coaches out I wouldnt mind beinging in as assistants. Our defensive game and structre is garbage and Martin is the defense coach. So yeah, bye.

I think the team tuned out Martin, because in interviews he would always say insightful things about our defense and what they needed to do, and then the team would go out and play however they wanted as usual. If they are tuning out Martin, he needs to go, but I don't actually think he's a bad coach at all.

Recchi for sure needs to go, but I bet they'll keep him because Mario likes him. It's a shame he couldn't have thrown a cheeseburger at Lemieux like Billy Tibbetts did.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think either Recchi or Gonchar should be back.

Scott Gordon is an Xs and Os guy that could replace Martin if that's what we need. And he was an assistant of Sullivan's back when he was with Providence.

Reactions: Shady Machine

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't think either Recchi or Gonchar should be back.

Scott Gordon is an Xs and Os guy that could replace Martin if that's what we need. And he was an assistant of Sullivan's back when he was with Providence.

Gonchar is player development. He absolutely should be back.

EpiPen

Jun 6, 2016
I don't know if Guy Boucher would take an assistant coach role but he would be a terrific add to help with our defensive woes. I've always admired his coaching ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad