Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: Summer "Hard Times" Daddy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
The main reason Kessel should be traded is that he is no longer a hungry player. He’s not the only one but the one that makes the most sense.

His lack of hunger extends to his power play shooting woes, his lacking of back checking, not playing a demanding system, and general inconsistency.

The point per game people stick to stats because that’s what they understand. They can read numbers.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
The main reason Kessel should be traded is that he is no longer a hungry player. He’s not the only one but the one that makes the most sense.

His lack of hunger extends to his power play shooting woes, his lacking of back checking, not playing a demanding system, and general inconsistency.

The point per game people stick to stats because that’s what they understand. They can read numbers.

I laugh at your choice of words.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm done now. I am giving Penguin fans a bad look with unrealistic trades.

No no no, keep at it dude. They are nice breather from everyone yammering on about the same 1-2 things and saying the same thing over and over and over again.

Some may be unrealistic but that's half the fun of posting here. I posted "what ifs" all the time in yesteryears. I remember this one masterpiece that involved Neal for Silfverberg+1st that would be Nick Ritchie...it was glorious. I even once traded Letang for 3OV from Edmonton and then used NHL Draftsite to determine our draft position...I believe this was Nov 2015...anyway, long story short we used the 3OV to take Puljujarvi and our 10OV to take Laine. Didn't work out but man was that a nice lineup.

True definition of a user here. SEALBound is a big meanie.

Do you ever consider why some consider me a big meanie? Because way, WAY, WAY too many people on this board pollute it with toxic posts. It used to be a positive board with one or two Eeyores here and there (Does PensX still post here?). Now, since we didn't win the Cup, the Eeyores (which sorry to say, does include you) have taken over and damn near ruined this place. I bet if Ryan Wilson ran analytics on your history, 95+% of your posts in the last year would be negative, 75% would contain the word Johnson, JR, or Maatta, and 80% would generally say the same thing. Out of rage I come here to try to set you guys straight and bring you back from space. It's a tough job. It's sucks. It's like watching an alcoholic complaining about being an alcoholic as he cracks another beer. Worse yet, the Eeyores never, EVER post a solution (trade maatta, dump JJ is NOT a "solution").

So yeah...I'm a meanie for damn near demanding legitimate discussion here that isn't the NPCs of this board saying the exact same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again. Be more like ownal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
No no no, keep at it dude. They are nice breather from everyone yammering on about the same 1-2 things and saying the same thing over and over and over again.

Some may be unrealistic but that's half the fun of posting here. I posted "what ifs" all the time in yesteryears. I remember this one masterpiece that involved Neal for Silfverberg+1st that would be Nick Ritchie...it was glorious. I even once traded Letang for 3OV from Edmonton and then used NHL Draftsite to determine our draft position...I believe this was Nov 2015...anyway, long story short we used the 3OV to take Puljujarvi and our 10OV to take Laine. Didn't work out but man was that a nice lineup.

Do you ever consider why some consider me a big meanie? Because way, WAY, WAY too many people on this board pollute it with toxic posts. It used to be a positive board with one or two Eeyores here and there (Does PensX still post here?). Now, since we didn't win the Cup, the Eeyores (which sorry to say, does include you) have taken over and damn near ruined this place. I bet if Ryan Wilson ran analytics on your history, 95+% of your posts in the last year would be negative, 75% would contain the word Johnson, JR, or Maatta, and 80% would generally say the same thing. Out of rage I come here to try to set you guys straight and bring you back from space. It's a tough job. It's sucks. It's like watching an alcoholic complaining about being an alcoholic as he cracks another beer. Worse yet, the Eeyores never, EVER post a solution (trade maatta, dump JJ is NOT a "solution").

So yeah...I'm a meanie for damn near demanding legitimate discussion here that isn't the NPCs of this board saying the exact same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again. Be more like ownal.

I’m not a big complainer about Olli. :)

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
On the Zucker for Kessel swap, the more I've thought about it, the more I've grown to dislike it. In the context of McCann's future role and upside, I'm not sure I'd want to bring in Zucker, who's basically McCann if McCann becomes a top-6er. I know people here like establishing an identity based on speed, but I'd rather not have multiple of the same players on a line. It's like when Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary was struggling defensively, the shared issues between Guentzel and Sheary increased those issues.

I'm also starting to lean towards thinking that the Penguins should get a RWer back for Kessel, because they seem to be stronger long-term on LW than on RW without Kessel (plus I think they try to bring Hagelin back). I don't think they'd be able to do it easily, but I think getting a TJ Oshie type of RWer for McCann and Malkin would be pretty much perfect for what that line needs (physical playmaker with good speed). Zucker is pretty far off from that, just as Kessel is.

Don't overthink it. Get a top 6 winger that fits for Kessel. Worry about what to get next after.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Bouwmeester, Pietrangelo and Parayko (20+) have played double the time as Edmundson, Dun and Gunnarsson. (10ish).

Penguins had no gas after the 2 cups. I think this year is the year we actually have something left in the tank in the playoffs.

Are there any realistic trades/acquisitions to grab a #2 LD to play with Shultz?

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010

He was one of our better forwards this season in the playoffs.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Kessel for a 1st + a on the verge prospect like Kapanen was
Maatta for a pick
Bribe a team to take Johnson with pick(s)
Nyquist/Zucc/Dzingel/Lee/Eberle/Ferland for $6M

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist (I know)
[your favorite FA not named Panarin or Duchene] - Malkin - 'Kapanen'
McCann - Bjugstad - Rust
Simon - Bleuger - ZAR ($1M)
[your favorite AHLer]

Dumo - Letang
Petterson ($3M) - Schultz
Riikola - Gudbranson
Ruhwedel

Murray
DeSmith

That lineup still has ~$4M in cap space. Maybe more or less depending on which winger you sign. Use it to retain on JMFJ, find an upgrade on Riikola, etc.

You still have Rust, McCann, and Simon in the bottom 6 if 'Kapanen' doesn't turn out as well as...well...Kapanen.

It's only a few small miracles away...

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Bouwmeester, Pietrangelo and Parayko (20+) have played double the time as Edmundson, Dun and Gunnarsson. (10ish).

Penguins had no gas after the 2 cups. I think this year is the year we actually have something left in the tank in the playoffs.

Are there any realistic trades/acquisitions to grab a #2 LD to play with Shultz?
People are still going with the “they were tired” excuse? Come on, these guys are professional athletes. If you are still gassed from two years ago then you need to retire.

Reactions: Nfumass

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Steering clear of all Kessel talk because at this point in time, I am going to ignore the proposals and the fact that the team is going to have to keep him and I am 100% ok with it.

JR needs to see who he can add to JJ and Maatta and move them or use the better sweetener to tie with Maatta and get a better return and pair whatever he can with JJ to get anything.

I think in the end, with JJ we are going to have to take back a similar contract but with less term and for Maatta, we might actually get a decent return that isn't a 4th rounder type of dump.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Yeah I will never buy into the "the boys are tired / out of gas".

They are professional athletes. Top notch professional athletes.

A week of rest and they are back it 100% sans nagging injuries. I been in similar situations in absolute abominable shitholes. Eat a bit and get a good couple nights of sleep, you're body recoups and you can do it all over again.

An entire offseason is MORE than enough. I will never buy into that excuse. Ever.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
For me, if you can dump JJ, I would try to get the Wild to swap us Brodin or take Brodin in a separate deal and dump JJ and Maatta off to someone else entirely separate.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah I will never buy into the "the boys are tired / out of gas".

They are professional athletes. Top notch professional athletes.

A week of rest and they are back it 100% sans nagging injuries. I been in similar situations in absolute abominable ****holes. Eat a bit and get a good couple nights of sleep, you're body recoups and you can do it all over again.

An entire offseason is MORE than enough. I will never buy into that excuse. Ever.
People here loved it, it gave them something to focus on and ignore the real issues that the guy we all thought was the hero we deserved in Sully, might not have been the person we all pumped him up to be with what we saw in the last 2 seasons.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Kapanen was not even Toronto’s first choice of prospect. They targeted Pouliot and Sprong first and settle for what was 30th overall and Kapanen.

Yep, that is true.

No it wouldn't, that's pretty much exactly where Zucker's value is based on the Frolik and a 1st for Zucker deal that fell through at the deadline.

Frolik's a 30 year old with one year left on his deal making 4.3 mil per scoring at a 36 point pace over the last 2 years. That's worth a guy picked 22nd overall the year before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->