Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: Summer "Hard Times" Daddy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
You know that most players do not play hard for 82 games, right? Except in a few cases like the Isles last year, most teams and many players who aren’t reaching for a personal or team goals (or reacting to snubs) are just not playing all out for the majority of games...and our core, if anyone, especially as they age, definitely subscribe to theory of not playing your hardest for many, many games and shifts within games...whether Phil is there or not, regardless of what JR or Sully wants, no core player on this team will be hard to play against for the majority of games this upcoming year....just a fact...and I’m fine with that as long as they save themselves and bring it in the POs...that’s all that matters

So this idea that they have to rediscover some “championship form” in the RS is fantasy...just not happening...
It isn't about playing hard, it's about playing right. If there isn't more dedication to that, then this team will never sniff another Cup. And yes, that starts by playing that way during the season so that it becomes habitual and the team plays a faster game.

Also, want to bet that Sid won't be hard to play against for the majority of games next season? Have you been watching him for the last decade? :laugh:

Reactions: Peat and Tom Hanks

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It isn't about playing hard, it's about playing right. If there isn't more dedication to that, then this team will never sniff another Cup. And yes, that starts by playing that way during the season so that it becomes habitual and the team plays a faster game.

Also, want to bet that Sid won't be hard to play against for the majority of games next season? Have you been watching him for the last decade? :laugh:

Yes, Sid takes games and shifts off all the time...I’ve watched him his whole career...that’s why people thought he was done after 2015...he gets tired of fighting thru the bs too...

Agree you need to play a certain way for awhile for it to become habitual, but like we saw with the Pens in 2016 and the Caps in 2018, you can start that in February and be on a roll entering the POs, and it’s better to be hot the last half of the season if you want to make it to the SCF anyway, as the Blues show too

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
He had two ES goals in the span of nearly 3 months last season.

Also, Jake Guentzel.

I don’t think you get my point. Zucker for Phil is fine with me at this point. I’m saying the next add after that should be a skillful player in the mold of Phil-lite rather than a player like Hagelin. Team will have a ton of dirty area players and a IMO a cheaper middle six skill guy would compliment them better.

And Phil still was close to PP/G in that span. Which goes to show that he doesn’t need to play well whatsoever to factor in offensively.

Don’t really agree on Guentzel tbh. Love the kid but he’s like the best complimentary player in the league (and one of the smartest). Don’t think he brings a ton of skill, and he was so consistent last year that I don’t really know what he looks like when he’s off. (Regardless, Guentzel doesn’t really matter because he’s tethered to Crosby and L1. Want to hand some hands/scoring touch to L2/3)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don’t think you get my point. Zucker for Phil is fine with me at this point. I’m saying the next add after that should be a skillful player in the mold of Phil-lite rather than a player like Hagelin. Team will have a ton of dirty area players and a IMO a cheaper middle six skill guy would compliment them better.

And Phil still was close to PP/G in that span. Which goes to show that he doesn’t need to play well whatsoever to factor in offensively.

Don’t really agree on Guentzel tbh. Love the kid but he’s like the best complimentary player in the league (and one of the smartest). Don’t think he brings a ton of skill, and he was so consistent last year that I don’t really know what he looks like when he’s off. (Regardless, Guentzel doesn’t really matter because he’s tethered to Crosby and L1. Want to hand some hands/scoring touch to L2/3)

Zucker is a skill player. He’s out produced Kessel ES goal production twice in the last three years and was basically tied last year.

The impact of adding Zucker to Malkin’s line in place of Kessel at ES is likely even or an improvement if they find chemistry.

Having a Ferland with Malkin if we sign him may allow a player like Simon to blossom on the other side.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Maata/Bjugstad for Danault
Sign Connolly

We have a #3 C and a top 6 right winger at roughly the same cap space.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sign Connolly

We have a #3 C and a top 6 right winger at roughly the same cap space.

Why do you insist on filling our roster with really bad to mediocre forwards who had career years in their contract year? Just no on Connolly. If we want to plunder the Caps’ expiring contracts, I’d rather offer sheet Vrana or trade for Burakovsky...

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Why do you insist on filling our roster with really bad to mediocre forwards who had career years in their contract year? Just no on Connolly. If we want to plunder the Caps’ expiring contracts, I’d rather offer sheet Vrana or trade for Burakovsky...

Danault would not fill our #3 C need? I'd be fine with that trade and adding Hagelin back. Burakovsky & Vrana are LWers. Why does everyone think that we can magically put LWers onto the RW?

Guentzel, Simon & Mccann are much better on the LW than the RW. If we trade Kessel for Zucker that is another LW. Connolly on his native side is much better than our other choices to go there.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It may be the concussions and Horny will turn it around, but don’t tell me you’re not worried his injury history and age may make it so he’s on the downslope of his career? Given that Horny was 31 and signed a 5-year contract that was not at a discount, to then give him a full NTC for 3 years on top of that was risky...GMs should not be giving out full NTCs to anyone but their star players...

I won’t tell you that I’m not worried about a 35 game sample size after an injury where before that on the Pens he’s been really consistent and prior to that injury has scored 221 points in 320 games in Pittsburgh.

I won’t tell you that I’m not worried. ;)

In terms of money no doubt he would have gotten more. A lot of teams would have been lining up to sign him. His type and level of player are rare these days. Sure I didn’t want a 5 year deal but it’s what had to be done to keep him or the AAV goes up. I see a decline in year 4 to some extent, year 5 who knows. He’s able to be traded by year 4 anyway and that’s about the time our window probably ends (subtract a year in that discussion because he’s played out 1 year already).

Reactions: Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Danault would not fill our #3 C need? I'd be fine with that trade and adding Hagelin back. Burakovsky & Vrana are LWers. Why does everyone think that we can magically put LWers onto the RW?

Guentzel, Simon & Mccann are much better on the LW than the RW. If we trade Kessel for Zucker that is another LW. Connolly on his native side is much better than our other choices to go there.

Danault is good...Connolly not so good...if Phil stays we don’t need a RW and your proposal didn’t include Rust....if Phil stays, we need a top 6 LW...if Phil goes,we’ll need a RW...I’d prefer to trade for Kapanen or sign Nyqvist...

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Danault is good...Connolly not so good...if Phil stays we don’t need a RW and your proposal didn’t include Rust....if Phil stays, we need a top 6 LW...if Phil goes,we’ll need a RW...I’d prefer to trade for Kapanen or sign Nyqvist...

I'd keep Phil and form the HDK line. Then as you said grab Vrana for a 3-4 million a year deal to play with Malkin?

That would work with the cap too (before even having to trade or buyout JJ)

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah I'd love to poach Vrana from the Caps.

Wilson getting suspended then Vrana taking his spot really hurt us. I don’t think he put up a lot of points or anything but he was playing are real good style of hockey and made that line better than when Wilson was on it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
My guess is the Caps will extend Vrana a bridge deal for about $3.5-4 mil for three years....if you can beat that, you might be able to poach Vrana...they have $10 mil in space but quite a few spots to fill...especially on D assuming Orpik doesn’t return...I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re a player for Zaitsev or Gardiner...or EK if they can unload Nisky

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
I really hope Horny, Schultz & Malkin find their form again. That is all we really need... well getting rid of JJ too.

Sign Vrana & Hagelin.

We have a much better starting line up as last year. Brassard/Cullen/Sheahan get swapped for Danault, Vrana and Blueger.

If Kessel starts firing at all cylinders on the 3rd line with HDK then his trade value rockets too. I'm excited again for the season.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Is there a deal to be made with Detroit? They’re looking for D and have money...what about Rust and Maatta/JJ for Mantha or AA?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
My guess is the Caps will extend Vrana a bridge deal for about $3.5-4 mil for three years....if you can beat that, you might be able to poach Vrana...they have $10 mil in space but quite a few spots to fill...especially on D assuming Orpik doesn’t return...I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re a player for Zaitsev or Gardiner...or EK if they can unload Nisky

Offer him 5 + x 6 and either they have to sign him or you get a solid top six speedster for minimal picks.

JR would never do that though so it is a null point.

Reactions: Trade and Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We don't really know for sure that there are no other teams interested in acquiring Kessel.

Everyone's just assuming that if there were that the deal would have already happened, but there's no reason to make a deal before the draft.

And keep in mind the only leak we've had is from a deal that was already dead in the water at the time that we heard about it.

The Minnesota deal wasn't already dead when we heard about it, it was very much live.

Why release the info if it’s shot down immediately. I’m not one to assume that I hear every offer JR gets over the phone.

If its shot down immediately its not a serious bid.

And in reply to both of you - even if you believe they are keeping serious offers under wrap and they're not talked about in rumours, I think its fair to assume that Rutherford's not talking the way he is if he's got a ton of serious offers on the table.

I think it's some people just resigned to the fact that he's unmovable due to his asinine full NTC and some people who legitimately think he can bounce back. I think he has it in him to at least be a contributor but I have doubts about where he fits in the lineup. But that's been an ongoing concern for a while.

The line up thing is the big one. Good things still happened with Horny on ice with Sid/Geno in the latter half of the season, he was just never with them.

Horny has to be with skill. He's a force multiplier. Asking him to multiply a blocking line is a waste of money (although he'll do fine there as we saw). But whether he will be...

You know that most players do not play hard for 82 games, right? Except in a few cases like the Isles last year, most teams and many players who aren’t reaching for a personal or team goals (or reacting to snubs) are just not playing all out for the majority of games...and our core, if anyone, especially as they age, definitely subscribe to theory of not playing your hardest for many, many games and shifts within games...whether Phil is there or not, regardless of what JR or Sully wants, no core player on this team will be hard to play against for the majority of games this upcoming year....just a fact...and I’m fine with that as long as they save themselves and bring it in the POs...that’s all that matters

So this idea that they have to rediscover some “championship form” in the RS is fantasy...just not happening...

Kinda late to the party, but they have to play hard enough to establish the right habits. They've been trying to coast and flick the button and it's just not worked and they really need to re-establish habits bad. I'm not expecting max effort, but if they don't raise the effort level from last season, I don't see much point to watching.

Guentzel has a filthy snipe - just ask Nashville. I trust him on a 1 on 1/2 on 1 as much as any guy on the roster. And McCann has that too. Neither have the same playmaking licks but they will pick up a bunch of 'easy' goals.

Is there a deal to be made with Detroit? They’re looking for D and have money...what about Rust and Maatta/JJ for Mantha or AA?

There probably is a deal to be made there (and iirc, they were reported to be interested in Johnson), but probably not for Mantha or AA ;)

then there better be a big + coming back.

There won't be and that's the whole point behind the "Well why doesn't anyone else like him" thing. His value around the league has been established and its nowhere near as high as people would like.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Would that big + coming back be enough to unload with JJ for as Andy99 said Mantha or AA?
yeah I thought that was a big reason to make the deal was moving jj. if that's not happing then there needs to be a high pick coming back to make the deal some what fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad