Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Standing On the Waters, Casting Your Bread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Would this work with the cap?

Letang for Klingberg, Faksa, Nuke and 2nd? If it does how do people feel about that deal?

We probably feel pretty good but the Dallas GM doesn’t feel good. Maybe if we add in a case of kombucha his stomach might feel better.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We probably feel pretty good but the Dallas GM doesn’t feel good. Maybe if we add in a case of kombucha his stomach might feel better.

I'd throw in Sheary if we can some how get Nuke added. Nuke's contract doesn't hurt the team right now anyway.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Letang for Klingberg, Faksa, Nuke and 2nd? If it does how do people feel about that deal?

Dallas isn't going to include Klingberg in any deal.

Faksa, Nuchushkin, 1st for Letang

Something like that is what I imagine Dallas would give up.

Reactions: dogthateats

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I highly doubt Klingberg is included in a Letang trade. He only makes $4.25 m and is probably going to break 60 points this year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think Letang is a type of defenseman Dallas would go after. I think it's a lot more likely they'd do Shore and Faksa for Maatta than they would trade a big package for Letang.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Isn’t Nuke in Russia?

Feel like that could be a headline soon.

Yeah, which is fine imo, I think if you get 2 forwards and a D back for Letang, you can be ok losing Sheary in that deal and adding Nuke for next year. The guy is NHL ready and you at least know that. He's big, fast, and skilled, would be fantastic on Geno's LW.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I mean, there are ways he can win it. I just have a feeling we are going to move him for a winger and a top four defenseman and then just completely bomb the season and never be a contender again.

lord are you a fatalist. :)

Is it just me or is it kinda odd that the Pens haven't called up another Dman? Or have I missed something? I just can't see them only rolling with 6 on the roster.

And Hunwick is returning from illness, I do believe. Schultz is not too far away from returning too, but one has to wonder just how injured Letang is.

Letang is a polarizing player. If we won the cup last year without Crosby, would people argue that we need Crosby on this team still or maybe, just maybe, the team rallied and worked even harder to make up for the loss of a premier player?

I am on the fence of moving Letang, on one hand I get why people want it done, but I also think it could be one of the most damaging trades this team can make. It gives me a Hatcher for Zubov type of feel in an even worse way.

The problem here is that you are comparing winning without Letang with winning without Crosby, which is kinda insane really. Besides, we kinda sorta already won without Crosby in 2009. Remember he was injured from a knee-on-knee hit by Franzen and missed the second half of Game 7.

I might have missed that post. But if we could get Nuke, Lindell, and Faksa, that's a massive win. But then we have a lot of LD's.

Keep in mind, the Stars already have four right-handed D-men in their current lineup. One will probably be knocked out of the lineup once Methot returns, but if Dallas has interest in Letang, me thinks Honka would be the logical player coming back.

Although, Faksa and the rights to Nichushkin works for me.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I am not making excuses for Letang, but I think Sully is a part of the blame. Maybe only 15%, but when Schultz was healthy, giving Letang top PP was awful when Letang was clearly struggling out of the gate this year. You could have also limited his minutes. They didn't. And that brings us to accountability. The fact Cole gets shit on and nobody else on the team does is bad.

And if you don't think the players on the bench realize the Letang mistakes, you are dead wrong. But when they only see Cole being penalized... it makes people question. Because Cole isn't any worse than Dumo this year. Cole isn't any worse than Hunwick. But he's the guy getting hit on a contract year.

Reactions: Badfish87 and vabm8

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Well for one, the coaching staff basically says Letang can't have the PP Minutes he wants, then he does anyway. If you're Schultz, what does that say about you emerging and taking that contract to stick with the team? That oh, hey man, thanks for finally blossoming into the defensemen everyone thought you could be, now go play second fiddle to a guy that isn't even half as good as you on the powerplay, but he's there because, money.

Also, they kept forcing Maatta-Schultz, when Cole-Schultz worked.

Yeah, I believe that is one of the reasons why they acquired Jamie Oleksiak and immediately placed him on the right side. If/when Letang gets dealt, Schultz won't have to fight anyone for PP minutes on the first unit. Oleksiak brings a completely different skill-set to the team.

I think we have a chance to have a much more balanced, much more diverse defense corps if/when we trade Letang.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
I am not making excuses for Letang, but I think Sully is a part of the blame. Maybe only 15%, but when Schultz was healthy, giving Letang top PP was awful when Letang was clearly struggling out of the gate this year. You could have also limited his minutes. They didn't. And that brings us to accountability. The fact Cole gets **** on and nobody else on the team does is bad.

And if you don't think the players on the bench realize the Letang mistakes, you are dead wrong. But when they only see Cole being penalized... it makes people question. Because Cole isn't any worse than Dumo this year. Cole isn't any worse than Hunwick. But he's the guy getting hit on a contract year.

Well, that's another reason to trade Letang then. Schultz is arguably better at PP but Letang is paid 2 million more. Letang gets the PP only cause he is the supposed star, being the best paid d and has a lot of years in the organisation.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I am not making excuses for Letang, but I think Sully is a part of the blame. Maybe only 15%, but when Schultz was healthy, giving Letang top PP was awful when Letang was clearly struggling out of the gate this year. You could have also limited his minutes. They didn't. And that brings us to accountability. The fact Cole gets **** on and nobody else on the team does is bad.

I think in Cole's case, it's simply a matter of the coach preferring a certain defensive look, and believing Cole is the odd man out. I hear what you're saying because I too blame Sullivan for a lot of what's been going on with this team (most up front), but I don't think Sullivan is the only coach in the league who would NOT bench Letang this season. In fact, find me a coach who would?

This is clearly a situation where the GM has to step in and take care of the situation. When a star player struggles, you have to deal him. You can't bench him. For a myriad of reasons.

And it sure seems like JR will look to do just that.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Now there was no way in hell to think Letang would be traded prior to the season starting, but I was very much against a 3 year deal for Schultz. I thought it was best for both parties to go long term and cheaper. Moving Letang and only having 2 years of Schultz is scary. Very scary.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I do not see why Dallas would do it. I think it's possible that we might be able to get Klingberg+ out of DAL... but nothing to that extent. HOG had a point that with the cap differences, at what point is Klingberg a better option then Letang - especially when asking for a lot of other parts as well.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Keep in mind, the Stars already have four right-handed D-men in their current lineup. One will probably be knocked out of the lineup once Methot returns, but if Dallas has interest in Letang, me thinks Honka would be the logical player coming back.

Although, Faksa and the rights to Nichushkin works for me.

Crosby missed half a game basically, Letang missed an entire playoff run (twice) so I mean, the Crosby comparison doesn't work either.

But yeah if Dallas is moving Honka, then they are adding significant pieces like Faksa, Nuke and maybe even more.

I'd be curious what they would do with Letang then.

Methot, Letang
Lindell, Klingberg
Hamhuis, Johns/Pateryn

I would get why Nill would do it, he's in a time sensitive situation, he has to get the Stars back into the playoffs and past the 1st round. They need balance on that roster too. They have a #1 goalie, they have a deep forward group, their defense needs work still and Klingberg is the only legit producer on that back end, Lindell is emerging fast, but Honka might be the odd man out as Nill really loves Johns.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Anyway, while we focus on teams like Dallas, Winnipeg, Buffalo et al, if I were JR I would absolutely be talking to both Ottawa and Montreal. Letang is probably more of a name brand in those two markets than anywhere else, and any talk of a possible decline in his game would likely be a lot less vocal in those markets than in some other circles.

With Shea Weber out right now, and Erik Karlsson's situation now front and center, my focus if I were JR would be those two markets in discussing any potential Letang deal.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

How many of them are repeatedly taking the stupid penalties that Cole is? Cole has the same PIMs as Letang despite playing 7 less games then him, and has something like 2.5 times as many as the other guys. I get that we want him to play a certain type of hockey, and that with that, will come some penalties. I get that. But when he's playing significantly less minutes then before (past seasons) and taking more penalties then before... many of them lazy stupid ones, I can see why it's him getting the shit, especially when the whole blueline is struggling.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Do you have a link for that? Not saying it’s wrong, but I heard that it happened during the trade deadline.

I will look for it. I read so many things at that period of time, I can't even nail down what it was. I will look.

It was really juicy though - basically how the article came to be was that the Pens were unable to find a suitor for Fleury, so they made a deal with George McPhee and ran it past Fleury to give him the respect of essentially having 9 months to resettle and giving him the respect he deserved by not blindsiding him. Fleury would have been gracious anyway, but he had a lot of time to say his goodbyes and come to grips with everything.

The article also said that though there were no deals in place for Fleury early in the season, Calgary did in fact come forward at the deadline wanting to make a move for him and JR rejected it and Calgary didn't know why. It was because he was already accounted for by Vegas.

Like I said, I'll try to find the article but it's not likely I'll find it.

Yea you're right, why try something outside the box when the status quo is working so well. Your the Captain of the ship that starts taking on water and yells "full steam ahead"!

Right - the real issue is depth. Move guys around all you want, and it does not fix that issue. The proverbial boat is taking on water and there aren't enough guys with buckets cleaning it out. There needs to be a move made.

Playing guys out of position will not make a difference. This team needs a 3rd line center who can produce offense. That will open up the top 2 lines.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Anyway, while we focus on teams like Dallas, Winnipeg, Buffalo et al, if I were JR I would absolutely be talking to both Ottawa and Montreal. Letang is probably more of a name brand in those two markets than anywhere else, and any talk of a possible decline in his game would likely be a lot less vocal in those markets than in some other circles.

With Shea Weber out right now, and Erik Karlsson's situation now front and center, my focus if I were JR would be those two markets in discussing any potential Letang deal.

Yeah I hope not. There's very little there that addresses much for Pittsburgh.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I can't imagine Ottawa wants much part of Letang's cap hit.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
I can't imagine Ottawa wants much part of Letang's cap hit.

I disagree. With Karlsson leaving, possibly getting 12-13 per year in the summer, it would behoove them to show their fans 'well we got a somewhat comparable player for 5-6 million less per year, who's signed for the next few years'. Letang would allow them to remain close to their internal cap without the appearance of not intending to compete.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I disagree. With Karlsson leaving, possibly getting 12-13 per year in the summer, it would behoove them to show their fans 'well we got a somewhat comparable player for 5-6 million less per year, who's signed for the next few years'. Letang would allow them to remain close to their internal cap without the appearance of not intending to compete.

Does seem like a very Melnyk thing to try to pull off. That's why I think Ottawa is a pretty good trade partner for us, we have a lot of pieces they could want, and they obviously have a lot that could help us.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think if a deal if happening between the Penguins and Senators, it's going to include at least a couple of Rust, Sheary, Smith and Pageau. I don't think Letang to Ottawa is realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad