Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: SPEED, YOUTH, AND POSITIVITY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
But you're not getting Johnson off the books. It's kinda just pissing in the wind at this point with the defense, you're not getting rid of him.

Again, I wouldn't necessarily say that. People trade worse players on worse contracts all the time. But how easy it is to get rid of JJ is going to depend on how well he starts the season and if there's anyone else who gets screwed over by free-agency and needs the help, or how much we're willing to sweeten the pot.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
What are the odds Addison gets some NHL time this year? I’m guessing he’d have to be an absolute stud in WB/S...but maybe the hope is in the next year or so he’s a solution to the D.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
I think we have enough D to round out a competitive squad if they play to ability. Problem is it wastes money, because the competitive squad in my head plays Rikola over JJ.

I think JR is comfortable with the D from the standpoint of “not spending on a FA there” not “this is the ideal group”.

Won’t surprise me if we package two fast/skilled but small forwards (1 being Rust) with JJ and semi even swap with a team short on skating/experience who are better stocked with forwards with a bias toward speed/forecheck/battle/size and have some cap space. No clue who that team might be.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What are the odds Addison gets some NHL time this year? I’m guessing he’d have to be an absolute stud in WB/S...but maybe the hope is in the next year or so he’s a solution to the D.

He's not playing in WBS next year. He's NHL or juniors, and at his current size and quality of defensive play, it'd be astonishing to see him get NHL time.

Who among the current free agents would be a “2 way forward”?

Ferland, Tanev, Chiasson if you're a fool and think he's 2 way instead of No Way.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I will say... the one thing i did want was new assistant coaches. JR preaches change and culture... well? It can't just be alllll players when you get swept with literally no effort.

Well, the did just hire a guy in WB/S who's angling for the main job, so maybe that'll light the fire.

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Then get rid of Schultz and bring in a guy who can actually do that, that's how you address that area of need on the roster. I'm all for that because I'm not really sold on Schultz being a long term solution here.

Then we lack shooters/good passers. The obvious idea is to get rid of JJ :laugh: JJ cannot shoot. He cannot pass. He cannot skate to pressure.

Back in the day, you could get away with that by being a solid dman blocking shots/hitting. You can't anymore unless you are blocking an insane amount of shots.

He's not the only issue, but he's one of the bigger ones.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is why I'm happy to take an opening day gamble on Riikola. He shows hints of it, I want to see if we can develop him into what we need.

He absolutely is a guy who skates to pressure. And when he makes those errors by carrying too long, I am sort of more okay with it because he's doing something we need. But he definitely makes the occasional turnover and that is part of life.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
He's not playing in WBS next year. He's NHL or juniors, and at his current size and quality of defensive play, it'd be astonishing to see him get NHL time.

Ferland, Tanev, Chiasson if you're a fool and think he's 2 way instead of No Way.
Thanks. Thought I read somewhere he was WB/S this year. Disregard, haha

Yea it was on the prospect camp roster. Just checked the thread. That thing was all sorts of wrong.

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Again, I wouldn't necessarily say that. People trade worse players on worse contracts all the time. But how easy it is to get rid of JJ is going to depend on how well he starts the season and if there's anyone else who gets screwed over by free-agency and needs the help, or how much we're willing to sweeten the pot.

He's probably movable next off-season, the problem is that he's not movable now. If he was, he wouldn't be here anymore.

Then we lack shooters/good passers. The obvious idea is to get rid of JJ :laugh: JJ cannot shoot. He cannot pass. He cannot skate to pressure.

Back in the day, you could get away with that by being a solid dman blocking shots/hitting. You can't anymore unless you are blocking an insane amount of shots.

He's not the only issue, but he's one of the bigger ones.

But again, you're not getting rid of him because they can't. Just screaming "get rid of Johnson!" at this point is worthless because they're stuck with him. It's literally just pissing into the wind. The best case scenario with moving him is that he's a healthy scratch this year and they can move him next off-season.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He absolutely is a guy who skates to pressure. And when he makes those errors by carrying too long, I am sort of more okay with it because he's doing something we need. But he definitely makes the occasional turnover and that is part of life.

In my dream world, he sticks and makes the final step and puts it together, then we replace Schultz with Brodie in FA next year. Skating for days. Maybe not enough cannons though.

Thanks. Thought I read somewhere he was WB/S this year. Disregard, haha

Yeah, there's been some confusion on that out there, but he's got one year of junior left.

He's probably movable next off-season, the problem is that he's not movable now. If he was, he wouldn't be here anymore.

But again, you're not getting rid of him because they can't. Just screaming "get rid of Johnson!" at this point is worthless because they're stuck with him. It's literally just pissing into the wind. The best case scenario with moving him is that he's a healthy scratch this year and they can move him next off-season.

And you're pissing in the wind expecting people to stop wanting Johnson gone. Rutherford needs to accept it'll cost more than he likes and do it.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I'd also like to see Riikola get a solid look in training camp as a 3rd pairing guy, which is why I'd move Ruhwedel to the press box and get JJ out of there. Riikola looks to me like he's got the tools, he just needs some playing time to put them together.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And who are some examples of players that do this?

Ex-Pens? Daley. 100% Daley. Amazing at it.

From recent games: Go watch what Dunn does in St Louis. It's ridiculous how often he carries to pressure. Same with Jones from CBJ. Those are 2 GREAT examples. Daley is more what we are looking for, though.

Reactions: KIRK

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Now being pre-UFA period. There's a lot of time to move players still. :laugh: Hell, you can even bury him in the minors to get rid of the hit or hope someone snags him on waivers, if you can stomach paying his salary.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
If we have the cajones to keep JJ and scratch him/use his sparingly and let him and Riikola battle it out for the 6th dman spot, I could live with that.

But then JJ is our first injury callup and we know damn well how that’s gonna play out.

Just sign Tanev or MoJo somehow and call it an off-season as far as signing UFA’s go.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This is why I'm happy to take an opening day gamble on Riikola. He shows hints of it, I want to see if we can develop him into what we need.

I really believe if he gets a chance to play he will become a lot like Stecher... not a huge points guy, but an extremely good puck mover that really helps your transition game.

Reactions: Peat

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Ex-Pens? Daley. 100% Daley. Amazing at it.

From recent games: Go watch what Dunn does in St Louis. It's ridiculous how often he carries to pressure. Same with Jones from CBJ. Those are 2 GREAT examples. Daley is more what we are looking for, though.

Dunn is going to be a really good player. Holds onto it too long at times but he’s 22. Skating and puck skills are pretty awesome though.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
What do you guys think the market will be for Stralman from Tampa? I think he'd be pretty solid here - would put Letang-Schultz-Stralman down the right side.

Probably couldn't afford him but if we end up moving JJ with a draft pick and clear the space it might be doable.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Yeah, I'm curious to see if he can adjust to what he can get away with in this league and cut out some of those turnovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->