Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Soon (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
He does so much to help possession that I completely agree....but I still think we need to let him go...he’ll be going on 31 and we can’t afford to sign him for 4-5 years at $4 mil, which another team will do
If he takes a pay cut I'd re-sign him. He's super important to this team's style and the fact that he's a PKer and LW are not insignificant details.

If we can't re-sign him, finding a replacement should be extremely high on our to do list.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If he takes a pay cut I'd re-sign him. He's super important to this team's style and the fact that he's a PKer and LW are not insignificant details.

If we can't re-sign him, finding a replacement should be extremely high on our to do list.

It would have to be a shorter term contract for me...it’s not the$4 mil per but the fact that he’s aging and relies primarily on speed...risky...

Reactions: Coach John McGuirk

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Keeping a team competitive in the salary era turns to no small degree on being willing to sacrifice talented but non-core players before they become burdens and having a never ending line of cheap talent to replace them. I love hags, but he's the epitome of the former.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He does so much to help possession that I completely agree....but I still think we need to let him go...he’ll be going on 31 and we can’t afford to sign him for 4-5 years at $4 mil, which another team will do

He’s been at a 31 point pace the last 2 years. I think this year will factor in to his next contract. Does he want to stay in Pittsburgh? If we could only offer 3.5 and someone offered him 4?

Bailey just got 5mil, Perron got 4mil and their numbers were much higher (both 77 point pace) so it depends on what teams give and the UFA year, cap etc Lots of variables.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Keeping a team competitive in the salary era turns to no small degree on being willing to sacrifice talented but non-core players before they become burdens and having a never ending line of cheap talent to replace them. I love hags, but he's the epitome of the former.
I vehemently disagree. Hagelin's style, defensive play, speed and the fact that his a LW on a team chock full of flashy, talented Cs and RWs is precisely why he's so important. You don't want Sid to take time/effort away from producing chances and points to do the shit Hags does. Same goes for Sprong, or Kessel, Geno, etc. (edit: I probably shouldn't have cited Sid as the first example, since he plays the game like an uber-talented grinder anyway :laugh: but my point still stands)

I'm not saying Hags is a must re-sign, but if it's realistically possible with a paycut I'd really hope he sticks around. If he doesn't, which is entirely possible with how stupid FA is, we really need to prioritize finding another guy in the Hagelin mold.

I think it's a big reason you see Sully put Rust with Jake-Sid from time to time. Not because Rust is exceptionally talented or he's a big producer, but because he's fast, does the Charlie Work, and covers defensively.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He’s been at a 31 point pace the last 2 years. I think this year will factor in to his next contract. Does he want to stay in Pittsburgh? If we could only offer 3.5 and someone offered him 4?

Bailey just got 5mil, Perron got 4mil and their numbers were much higher (both 77 point pace) so it depends on what teams give and the UFA year, cap etc Lots of variables.

I mean, even so, do we really want to sign him for more than 2-3 years knowing his age and his reliance on speed? Is it better to give a younger player, FA or Di Pauli, a chance, even if he might not be as good?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I mean, even so, do we really want to sign him for more than 2-3 years knowing his age and his reliance on speed? Is it better to give a younger player, FA or Di Pauli, a chance, even if he might not be as good?

TBF to Hags, I see him like Chimera. Fast untill 38 or so.

So I don't see his wheels falling off anytime soon.

Love Hagelin and his game, but he did disappear alot of times for stretches, even HSed. He is a player you move on from and replace with an ELC.

Reactions: pistolpete11

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
What the hell with the Duchene talk guys? I thought this guy sucked for the buck and when he left the Avs Nathan MacKinnon finally started to rule, also, it's not like Duchene started to rock in Ottawa either...

He had 43 points in Ottawa's final 42 games.

So he did rock...

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

If you believe the other options may come close to what Hagelin brings sure but if there is no evidence to back that up (especially in Di Pauli’s case) if you can make it work keep Hags.

Hags is just as fast as ever so I don’t see an issue with a 4 year deal.

Reactions: Finesse

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I vehemently disagree. Hagelin's style, defensive play, speed and the fact that his a LW on a team chock full of flashy, talented Cs and RWs is precisely why he's so important. You don't want Sid to take time/effort away from producing chances and points to do the **** Hags does. Same goes for Sprong, or Kessel, Geno, etc. (edit: I probably shouldn't have cited Sid as the first example, since he plays the game like an uber-talented grinder anyway :laugh: but my point still stands)

I'm not saying Hags is a must re-sign, but if it's realistically possible with a paycut I'd really hope he sticks around. If he doesn't, which is entirely possible with how stupid FA is, we really need to prioritize finding another guy in the Hagelin mold.

I think it's a big reason you see Sully put Rust with Jake-Sid from time to time. Not because Rust is exceptionally talented or he's a big producer, but because he's fast, does the Charlie Work, and covers defensively.

Unless you disagree about him being non-core, I don't see what you're disagreeing with tbh.

edit: I think you're reading a lot into a general description into the situation and that's what you're disagreeing with. There's a reason I love Hags and you've given most of it well.

Reactions: Shady Machine

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Unless you disagree about him being non-core, I don't see what you're disagreeing with tbh.
I wouldn't call him core, but I think he's an exceptionally important support player because of his style. To me, core means irreplaceable in terms of talent/position--guys that are gonna carry the bulk of production on the way to wins. Hags isn't that, but his skillset and position make him extremely important.

I didn't take umbrage with your post specifically. I just see a lot of "Hags is gone, who cares" type of stuff flying around. He's a really, really good and important player for this team. If he walks, we're gonna need to put in the effort to find a younger replacement.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I wouldn't call him core, but I think he's an exceptionally important support player because of his style. To me, core means irreplaceable in terms of talent/position--guys that are gonna carry the bulk of production on the way to wins. Hags isn't that, but his skillset and position make him extremely important.

I didn't take umbrage with your post specifically. I just see a lot of "Hags is gone, who cares" type of stuff flying around. He's a really, really good and important player for this team. If he walks, we're gonna need to put in the effort to find a younger replacement.

Put me down as "Hags is gone, please stop reminding me of it". I agree about the importance of what he does.

Reactions: Coach John McGuirk

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised. Well liked by many teammates, fits perfectly, knows his spot/role, etc. But he's gonna have to take a pay cut, for sure. It's unlikely, but I wouldn't be shocked if he took a pay cut to stick around.

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
I hope we hold onto Riikola for enough time to really see what we have. He really impressed me.

Rust will replace Hagelin. It’s not gonna be fun when he does but I think he’ll do a good job of it.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I hope we hold onto Riikola for enough time to really see what we have. He really impressed me.

Rust will replace Hagelin. It’s not gonna be fun when he does but I think he’ll do a good job of it.

Rust’s ATOI was more than Hagelin’s (edit: last season). He’s not a replacement, he’s already here. We don’t want less of what those two bring. Our winger style diversity is at a pretty good mix right now. Hopefully we keep it similar moving forward even if it’s with different players.

That also depends on which way JR and Sully think the games going and can adjust their style accordingly. We went a bit stronger (strength wise) coming into this year which I think is a good thing. Teams caught up to our game plan and I think being a little stronger will help. Overall we’re better offensively and defensively too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Hair's worth an extra mil.

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad