Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Soon (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Nah, I think we can fit in Guentzel with the impending increase in cap. I wonder if Hags would take a pay cut to stick around though. He seems to fit in supremely well and get along very well with a lot of guys.

You reckon the cap's going up by 4m or so again this year? Seems pretty optimistic to me.

And, genuinely physical painful as it is to say, Hagelin isn't a guy to hold on. Well, not unless he's gonna stay in hyper-mode with Geno all the time.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
I don't necessarily disagree, but you can't have a situation like we had where our 3C and 4C are nobodies, or at the very least wholly unproven. That's an unacceptable scenario. If Brassard does well this season and we have to pay a bit extra to keep him around because there are no other available/better options, we just might have to. It'll cost us Hagelin, but it is what it is.
In my mind Hags is already gone to pay for Jake.

I just dont see where the cap space comes from to afford another guy making $5-6m per year.

Jake, Hags, Brass & Sheahan are only costing us $10m this year.

If Jakes gets $5-6m of that $10m.... add maybe a couple of mill in a Cap increase and we are looking at $6-7m to find a top 9 LW, a #3C & #4C.

Maybe you can keep Brass at $5-6m but I means things get really tight filling out the rest of the lineup..... unless some of the youngsters are ready to step up into those roles.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Uh no, not a joke, and also not anything worth getting fully tourqed over dude.

Duchene has never done anything like what Kessel did in Toronto with Bozak or what Kessel did in Pittsburgh with the HBK line(among others).

Just repeating blatantly false information doesn't magically make it true, though. Duchene put up 65+ point seasons (or paces of 65+ points) on terrible teams numerous times. He put up 43 points in 47 games in the lockout season while playing with Jamie McGinn and PA Parenteau.

I'd argue that Kessel had more help for the majority of his career than Duchene had. To say Duchene could never carry his own line like Kessel is pretty much just a complete lie.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't really get how HBK is held as an example of Kessel's ability to elevate a line. In form Hagelin is an elite 5v5 player in this league. Bonino runs hot and cold, but is definitely capable of filling a 2C role when in the mood. No line is a weak line when those two are running hot.

And, surely, if Kessel was the prime moving cause rather than two inconsistent players both hitting peak at the same time... how comes he didn't elevate them the next season?

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Just repeating blatantly false information doesn't magically make it true. Duchene put up 65+ point seasons (or paces of 65+ points) on terrible teams numerous times. He put up 43 points in 47 games in the lockout season while playing with Jamie McGinn and PA Parenteau.

A 65 point pace on a non playoff team is not equal to 80 point production on a non playoff team(a 23% lead on his nearest teammate)

That same lockout year Kessel carried the Leafs into the playoffs and lead them in scoring by 8. Duchene wasn’t even able to separate himself from PA Parenteau for his team lead in points.

Edit missed your last paragraph: I never claimed Duchene could not carry his own line in a similar vein as Kessel has. Only that Duchene never has. Talk about pulling things out of thin air..

Last edited:
Reactions: Freedom

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hags, like every single player, should go get the most money he can. None of us will be paying his bills when hockey is over. He should go make as much as he possibly can and be in a place where his family is comfortable.

The only reason someone should take a cut is because they can regain it by how taxes are built within the state OR the city they are in is by far the most comfortable for the family. Any human being who expects a player to take a paycut just because is out of their freaking mind. When Talbot could no longer be a producing forward, he was dropped immediately and those Game 7 goals meant nothing. Sheary, who people wanted to take a cut for being with Sid, was traded. If Jake had a career ending injury this year, nobody is going to pay him 6m because it's the right thing to do.

Go get paid.

Reactions: Shady Machine

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Nah, I think we can fit in Guentzel with the impending increase in cap. I wonder if Hags would take a pay cut to stick around though. He seems to fit in supremely well and get along very well with a lot of guys.
I would think since speed is his main asset if he doesn't become very expendable in the next year or two. He's not old by any means, but that blinding speed is critical to him making an impact.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
You reckon the cap's going up by 4m or so again this year? Seems pretty optimistic to me.

And, genuinely physical painful as it is to say, Hagelin isn't a guy to hold on. Well, not unless he's gonna stay in hyper-mode with Geno all the time.
To be honest I hope it does, but I am skeptical it will.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
*whispers*

If Riikola shows he's a NHLer this year, trade Maatta for Haula

I am not sure I like the idea.

I get the logic behind it. We have too much money spent on D, Maatta likely has good value and Haula, at least on paper, is a perfect fit for us. However, the guy has had one top-6 worthy season. Was it a breakout or an anomaly? Is it a risk worth-taking? Maatta is a 24 year-old defenseman who is cost-controlled and has a VERY reasonable salary for what he brings to the table. He has 5 years of experience already and even with his skating issues, he has been steady for us.

If I give up Maatta, Haula can be part of the deal, but I need more. I think you guys underestimate the value of a cost-controlled 25-year-old with 2 Cups and who's a steady top 4 guy. I am not against moving him, not at all, but we have to receive proper value. Haula by himself, as good as he was last year, is not proper value. Him + other stuff, sure.

Reactions: Peat

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
If I give up Maatta, Haula can be part of the deal, but I need more. I think you guys underestimate the value of a cost-controlled 25-year-old with 2 Cups and who's a steady top 4 guy. I am not against moving him, not at all, but we have to receive proper value. Haula by himself, as good as he was last year, is not proper value. Him + other stuff, sure.

I'm with this. I think 3 more years of cost control with Maatta is with more than 1 year rental of Haula (assuming the trade happens late in the season). He is gona price himself out of Pittsburgh.

One injury and the defense has Chad Rhuwedel and a rookie on it going into the playoffs. The defense depth would be terrible.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It's not going to take a spectacular defenseman to replace what Maatta does. If Riikola can be that guy or Johnson can find his niche here, Maatta can be someone we use to shore up 3C or LW longterm.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
It's not going to take a spectacular defenseman to replace what Maatta does. If Riikola can be that guy or Johnson can find his niche here, Maatta can be someone we use to shore up 3C or LW longterm.

This is true but is Haula a long term solution? He is gona be 28 this year and 29 next year when his contract is up. And if he plays like last year he is gona be looking for 5-6 million on a 5 year contract.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
This is true but is Haula a long term solution? He is gona be 28 this year and 29 next year when his contract is up. And if he plays like last year he is gona be looking for 5-6 million on a 5 year contract.

If I'm JR I just say f*** it and offer everything we can afford to lose and ice a contending team the next 3 years for Staal or Trocheck.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
A 65 point pace on a non playoff team is not equal to 80 point production on a non playoff team(a 23% lead on his nearest teammate)

That same lockout year Kessel carried the Leafs into the playoffs and lead them in scoring by 8. Duchene wasn’t even able to separate himself from PA Parenteau for his team lead in points.

Edit missed your last paragraph: I never claimed Duchene could not carry his own line in a similar vein as Kessel has. Only that Duchene never has. Talk about pulling things out of thin air..

PP production is not particularly relevant to whether someone can carry a line and should be discounted. Which rather changes the maths here as in the lockout year, Kessel wasn't his team's leader on ES points, nor did he surpass Duchene's ES total that year.

Now, I'd still give Kessel the edge, as his best three year snapshot was of him as the league's ES production leader, and Duchene's best three year snapshot is of him as 11th. But it's a small difference, too small to justify saying one's carried their line where the other hasn't.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
What the hell with the Duchene talk guys? I thought this guy sucked for the buck and when he left the Avs Nathan MacKinnon finally started to rule, also, it's not like Duchene started to rock in Ottawa either...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
What the hell with the Duchene talk guys? I thought this guy sucked for the buck and when he left the Avs Nathan MacKinnon finally started to rule, also, it's not like Duchene started to rock in Ottawa either...
Ottawa's an unmitigated cesspool, Duchene's a fantastic player, Ottawa's also in firesale mode because Melnyk is abandoning ship and wants to cut all costs so Duchene could realistically be available for cheaper than normal, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad