Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Soon (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

From CapFriendly
AHL thread is here. Links to 2018 draft pick threads and QO information are in the first post.
Jack Johnson signing thread is here.
Cullen signing thread is here.
Additional July 1st signing info via pens.com
Rust re-signing thread is here.
Sheahan re-signing thread is here.
Thread for Sprong, Simon and Czuczman re-signing is here.
Brassard trade rumor thread is here.
Sheary + Hunwick trade thread is here.
Oleksiak re-signing thread is here.
Grant signing thread is here.
Jarry re-signing thread is here. He's listed on the AHL roster, thread is here.

Reactions: BHD

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I really hope they get Jake signed asap, I feel like the kid is going to have a monstrous season. Get G-Money his money now.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Here’s a great piece on him and yeah I’d love to get him locked up with some of the money that’s been thrown around.

EDIT: I think this has been posted before but it’s a great article for those that might have missed it.

Jake Guentzel has a whole new set of goals this season
Consistency is going to be the biggest hurdle he has to over come. If he likes to be the guy, he has to learn how to be the guy and just watching Crosby isn't going to be enough. He has to add more strength to that teenage frame of his and close the gaps in his deficiencies. I have faith the kid is surrounded by the right people to get that done, as well as the right attitude.

Reactions: BHD and Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Consistency is going to be the biggest hurdle he has to over come. If he likes to be the guy, he has to learn how to be the guy and just watching Crosby isn't going to be enough. He has to add more strength to that teenage frame of his and close the gaps in his deficiencies. I have faith the kid is surrounded by the right people to get that done, as well as the right attitude.

Definitely. I think the roster, schedule and team fatigue will help him too (everyone really). Crosby and Malkin (more Crosby) won’t be taking as many “nights” off due to fatigue this season. I mean they’ll probably pace themselves more now as they get older but not like last season. We also have the forward depth from the get go that’ll help the top end guys. The lower end guys can’t slack off either because it’ll be way more competitive this year.

Two weeks to pre season games. One month until the real games start.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Regarding Jake, six years at 5.5 to 6.0 mil per seems very fair from both sides. I wish we had a bit more of a sample size, but his two season body of work is rather impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: BHD

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Regarding Jake, six years at 5.5 to 6.0 mil per seems very fair from both sides. I wish we had a bit more of a sample size, but his two season body of work is rather impressive.

Why would Jake sign that? If I were him, I'd bet on a monster regular season to get 7MM on a long term deal. If Jake puts up a 70 point season, he should get at least 6.5-7MM.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Yea Jake would fall into the category of breaking my rule of not negotiating in season.
Please negotiate and get him locked up asap.

I'd be surprised if the Pens don't extend Jake mid-season this year. Despite some concern of a massive contract, I don't expect that. I can see Sheahan's deal taking a bit longer (maybe until the 19-20 cap is set), unless he's willing to do a reasonable 3x3m deal or something similar mid-season. If Grant is a good fit here, I wouldn't mind seeing a 2 yr @ 1m extension mid-season either.

I'd rather get the centers squared away before FA next year, too much risk in letting it go that long, even at 4C.

And I really don't see a lot of suitors that will offer big money and term to Hagelin, he just doesn't score enough. His best fit is with us, considering our RW scoring depth. But it only takes one NY Islanders to screw it up for us.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Looking at contracts around the league and where Jake fits, I think for 5yrs, you'll have to give him 6.5m minimum per year.

I'd be fine with that, everyone would be with the hopes that he goes for 6m/yr. But 6.5m is what I am hoping for.

Yeah I’m thinking more 55 points range (25 goals, 30 assists).

I think 30/30 is more around where he will fall.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think the powerplay time will help, but out of his 48pts, 36 were EVS.

As long as he stays in the top 6 and is consistent he can crack 60+.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Why would Jake sign that? If I were him, I'd bet on a monster regular season to get 7MM on a long term deal. If Jake puts up a 70 point season, he should get at least 6.5-7MM.
Conversely if he slumps a bit he could lose some value, or if he sustains a serious injury prior to signing it could cost him big time. Right now he's pretty much guaranteed a sizable chunk of change. Currently he's getting well below a mil, so if something catastrophic did happen it's not as if he sitting on piles of money. I think six mil per is very fair. We also have to consider the deal from the teams perspective as well and the cap implications. Which was the point of my post.

Reactions: Riptide and Peat

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Looking at contracts around the league and where Jake fits, I think for 5yrs, you'll have to give him 6.5m minimum per year.

I'd be fine with that, everyone would be with the hopes that he goes for 6m/yr. But 6.5m is what I am hoping for.
I think six mil per is fair enough. I don't think the team needs to go higher than that. The team has considerable leverage here.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
End of the day this is all Guentzel's choice as to whether he wants security now, or to gamble, or somewhere in between the two, but I'd agree that he's not hitting 70 without a lot of injuries and that he's not got the leverage to extract the best possible deal. If he wants 7m long term, I'd argue for giving him a two year bridge and trying again on the long term contract before he hits UFA. If someone gives him a contract saying "We expect you to score 55-60 points a season long term", he'd be taking on short odds trying to beat it imo, both in terms of the possible and the team's patience.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think six mil per is fair enough. I don't think the team needs to go higher than that. The team has considerable leverage here.
How do you figure they have considerable leverage?

The last 2yrs, Jake has lead the Pens in scoring in the playoffs and not by some paltry numbers either. He's produced quite well in his last 2 seasons. He has comparable's on his side that hurt the Pens if they throw an offer of 6m/yr and if the Pens want 6m/yr, they're looking at shorter term, likely 2-3yrs max.

That's a bad spot for the Pens if Jake continues his developmental path.

The last 2 playoffs alone, Jake leads all NHL'ers in goals (23) and the next closest is Ovechkin (20). Hell this past season, he had 10 goals in 12 games, the scoring best was 15. Jake is going to get paid, the Pens just can't low ball him or over pay him. 6.5m/yr-ish is a happy medium for 4-5yrs.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
How do you figure they have considerable leverage?

The last 2yrs, Jake has lead the Pens in scoring in the playoffs and not by some paltry numbers either. He's produced quite well in his last 2 seasons. He has comparable's on his side that hurt the Pens if they throw an offer of 6m/yr and if the Pens want 6m/yr, they're looking at shorter term, likely 2-3yrs max.

That's a bad spot for the Pens if Jake continues his developmental path.

The last 2 playoffs alone, Jake leads all NHL'ers in goals (23) and the next closest is Ovechkin (20). Hell this past season, he had 10 goals in 12 games, the scoring best was 15. Jake is going to get paid, the Pens just can't low ball him or over pay him. 6.5m/yr-ish is a happy medium for 4-5yrs.

He's an RFA. That's your leverage right there.

Also, play off heroics or no, he still has a RS high of 48 points and would have to go some to get over 60 points... which would put him at about 6m, give or take, going by the highest comparables.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He's an RFA. That's your leverage right there.

Also, play off heroics or no, he still has a RS high of 48 points and would have to go some to get over 60 points... which would put him at about 6m, give or take, going by the highest comparables.

There is no comparable though given his playoff success and let’s not pretend contracts don’t get elevated because of playoff success.

Low end imo is 6 mil unless Jake takes a bridge. I’d give him 7x7 just because I think he’ll just increase his value if we don’t.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There is no comparable though given his playoff success and let’s not pretend contracts don’t get elevated because of playoff success.

Low end imo is 6 mil unless Jake takes a bridge. I’d give him 7x7 just because I think he’ll just increase his value if we don’t.

I'm not so sure they do as a matter of course. Bonino's had more play off success than Hanzal but got less money. Dumo's contract was pretty fair for RFA and UFA years brought and Rust's is pretty fair too, despite an absurd number of playoff goals. Murray's bridge was similar to Vasilevsky's. And so on.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

And the risk here if he takes a bridge deal is injury or if he somewhat regresses. Let's not forget he's playing with some generational talents. The team could cite that as a reason for his success. I just believe when looking at the totality of the situation and the teams cap, six years at around six mil or slightly under is fair from both sides. I seriously doubt they'd offer much more than that.

If he takes a bridge deal, say similar to what Kucherov got, (and he's no Kucherov), and then ascended to seven million or slightly above, the total amount of salary would likely be the same or similar per to what he could sign for now anyhow. And if he did go for a bridge deal that wouldn't offer him long term security. Better he signs sooner for long term and gives himself and his family some peace of mind. Also, if he would sign for six years he'd be a UFA at 30, and he'd be looking at yet another significant pay day IF he continues on his current trajectory.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Correct, Jake actually elevates his performance in the playoffs. Kucherov does not.
Kucherov's playoff numbers aren't bad at all. And anyone who has modicum of objectivity can see who the better player is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad