Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Preseason Edition (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I love it. If they continue to fail with McDavid and Draisaitl especially it will show that you can't just gift a team success with some top end talent.
What's a bigger variable here McDavids talents or Chiarellis ineptitude?

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I love it. If they continue to fail with McDavid and Draisaitl especially it will show that you can't just gift a team success with some top end talent.
I thought the Senators were proof of that up to the point they are the reason the lottery draft changed and then another tank-fest of a team is why the lottery draft changed again.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That Larsson trade though... yeesh
Have they won any trade? I think the only winners in an Oilers trade is the one being removed from their roster. That's like the golden ticket for those players.

I bet Taylor Hall laughs his ass off when people ask if him if he regrets being traded. Even Eberle.

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
Have they won any trade? I think the only winners in an Oilers trade is the one being removed from their roster. That's like the golden ticket for those players.

I bet Taylor Hall laughs his ass off when people ask if him if he regrets being traded. Even Eberle.

Eberle is in a better situation now than he was in EDM and his team might not have a barn to play in soon. lol

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
With the Nuckies doing better, I wonder if they are even in the market to move Tanev. Seems like at this point, he is more useful to them on the team than being moved for anything. They also had ample opportunity to rake the Leafs over the coals with a trade involving Tanev and didn't pull the trigger. We have less enticing pieces than them.

I think the LD/RD thing would be a bigger issue for them, then their current success over a 5 game sample size - especially one that's only 3-2.

Re the Leafs & Tanev, I guess it all depends on what the offer/ask was (I never paid attention to those rumors, so IDK). But I don't think that Toronto really had someone like Maatta to offer Vancouver. Gardiner is just a different D, but not all that young, and has no term. Reilly wasn't available, and everyone else is either too young and unproven, or a forward. Toronto could have easily offered up the best package - but that only works if Vancouver was looking for pure value, or a package of sorts. If they wanted the best 'player' in return, Toronto probably wasn't best place to be looking for that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think the LD/RD thing would be a bigger issue for them, then their current success over a 5 game sample size - especially one that's only 3-2.

Re the Leafs & Tanev, I guess it all depends on what the offer/ask was (I never paid attention to those rumors, so IDK). But I don't think that Toronto really had someone like Maatta to offer Vancouver. Gardiner is just a different D, but not all that young, and has no term. Reilly wasn't available, and everyone else is either too young and unproven, or a forward. Toronto could have easily offered up the best package - but that only works if Vancouver was looking for pure value, or a package of sorts. If they wanted the best 'player' in return, Toronto probably wasn't best place to be looking for that.
Oh you were proposing the slow one.

Yeah I'd do that. Olli for Tanev, give them a youthful team to keep moving forward with their rebuild, we get a guy that helps us win now with fitting what we need. I'd hope for another piece though just because of Olli's contract and what not. Like I would want a 2nd thrown in on their side.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Oh you were proposing the slow one.

Yeah I'd do that. Olli for Tanev, give them a youthful team to keep moving forward with their rebuild, we get a guy that helps us win now with fitting what we need. I'd hope for another piece though just because of Olli's contract and what not. Like I would want a 2nd thrown in on their side.

What did you think I was discussing?

I think if anything, it would be Pittsburgh adding to Maatta to offset their individual abilities. Contract and age be damned, Tanev is still the better D, and is a RD to boot.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Could you imagine though if we did get Tanev for Maatta...and Schultz returns in 4 months...

Dumoulin, Letang
Riikola, Schultz
Johnson, Tanev

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What did you think I was discussing?

I think if anything, it would be Pittsburgh adding to Maatta to offset their individual abilities. Contract and age be damned, Tanev is still the better D, and is a RD to boot.

Hopefully just a pick or something.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Puljujarvi is the least of Edmonton's worries honestly.

They have legitimately no scoring depth. At all. This summer they went out and signed Alex Chiasson, Tobias Rieder, and Kyle Brodziak. They didn't even take a flier on Duclair or go after Hoffman or anything.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Puljujarvi is the least of Edmonton's worries honestly.

They have legitimately no scoring depth. At all.
This summer they went out and signed Alex Chiasson, Tobias Rieder, and Kyle Brodziak. They didn't even take a flier on Duclair or go after Hoffman or anything.

This is where they've failed in the draft. With all the high picks they've had over the years, they should have had more young guys pan out... but even Reider (who was one of their draft picks), only goes so far. Given that they've been "rebuilding for 10 years", with the 29 picks (rd 2-4) they've had between the 2007 and 2014 drafts... they should have had more than 1 guy pan out (Reider) over 8 drafts. And of those picks, only Reider and Lander (who's no longer in the NHL) played more than 200 NHL games. There's several in the 100+ game range, but none of them are actually playing for the Oilers, or doing anything all that significant (I'd take Rust or last year's version of Sheary over all of them).

For comparison's sake, over that same span Pittsburgh had 21 picks. 4 of those picks were extremely successful (Guentzel, Murray, Rust, Bortuzzo). We also had a handful of later picks pan out as well (Wilson, Muzzin (just not here), Kuhnhackl and Archibald). And there's Bleuger who still holds promise as a depth guy. Not great, but still decent. Chicago (another very successful franchise) had 28 picks over that same span (rd 2-4). Of those picks, they have had 6 pan out, in addition to other late picks being successful depth players.

The draft outside of the 1st round is really where Edmonton floundered. They had a shitton of picks and failed with the vast majority of them.

Reactions: JackFr

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This is where they've failed in the draft. With all the high picks they've had over the years, they should have had more young guys pan out... but even Reider (who was one of their draft picks), only goes so far. Given that they've been "rebuilding for 10 years", with the 29 picks (rd 2-4) they've had between the 2007 and 2014 drafts... they should have had more than 1 guy pan out (Reider) over 8 drafts. And of those picks, only Reider and Lander (who's no longer in the NHL) played more than 200 NHL games. There's several in the 100+ game range, but none of them are actually playing for the Oilers, or doing anything all that significant (I'd take Rust or last year's version of Sheary over all of them).

For comparison's sake, over that same span Pittsburgh had 21 picks. 4 of those picks were extremely successful (Guentzel, Murray, Rust, Bortuzzo). We also had a handful of later picks pan out as well (Wilson, Muzzin (just not here), Kuhnhackl and Archibald). And there's Bleuger who still holds promise as a depth guy. Not great, but still decent. Chicago (another very successful franchise) had 28 picks over that same span (rd 2-4). Of those picks, they have had 6 pan out, in addition to other late picks being successful depth players.

The draft outside of the 1st round is really where Edmonton floundered. They had a ****ton of picks and failed with the vast majority of them.

Their failure has always been organizational.

Their farm team has not yielded nay prospects or even veterans that were serviceable when called up.
Their big club has been a breeding ground for disappointment in regards to support to players that require further development.

It's just a shit show. I would rather see the Oilers moved to Seattle. Fire everyone, move the team.

Edmonton is cursed of stupidity and that stupidity can not be washed off.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Their failure has always been organizational.

Their farm team has not yielded nay prospects or even veterans that were serviceable when called up.
Their big club has been a breeding ground for disappointment in regards to support to players that require further development.

It's just a **** show. I would rather see the Oilers moved to Seattle. Fire everyone, move the team.

Edmonton is cursed of stupidity and that stupidity can not be washed off.

Fire everyone, sure. But you can't move that team. Regardless of their recent history, they're still a storied franchise. Sure they've only been there for a little under 40 years... and while the last 10 have been dismal, the first 30 were pretty damn good.

Reactions: Goku

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Fire everyone, sure. But you can't move that team. Regardless of their recent history, they're still a storied franchise. Sure they've only been there for a little under 40 years... and while the last 10 have been dismal, the first 30 were pretty damn good.

Last 10?

2004 was a long time ago man. 14yrs ago.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Last 10?

2004 was a long time ago man. 14yrs ago.

Sure. Except that they didn't start selling players for picks until 2009. At the TD in 2008, they were still going for the POs (ended up missing it by 3pts). And then that summer (July 2008) they doubled down with a bunch of moves, and then were still trading picks (moved a 2nd) at the TD for a forward to try and make that PO push.

It didn't work, and then in the summer of 2009 and throughout that season you saw them start their rebuild when they were moving almost anyone for picks/futures. But that only lasted a couple of seasons, because in 2013 they started trading picks and young guys for players again, moving out a 2nd, 3rd and a couple of 4ths for established players. Something they've continued to do with little success since then.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sure. Except that they didn't start selling players for picks until 2009. At the TD in 2008, they were still going for the POs (ended up missing it by 3pts). And then that summer (July 2008) they doubled down with a bunch of moves, and then were still trading picks (moved a 2nd) at the TD for a forward to try and make that PO push.

It didn't work, and then in the summer of 2009 and throughout that season you saw them start their rebuild when they were moving almost anyone for picks/futures. But that only lasted a couple of seasons, because in 2013 they started trading picks and young guys for players again, moving out a 2nd, 3rd and a couple of 4ths for established players. Something they've continued to do with little success since then.

You closeted oilers fan, we should sell parts of you off and relocate you.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sadly yes. :oops: :baghead:

It's my guilty pleasure. Just hard to watch them when they're this bad - so I usually watch the Leafs instead... yeah I know that's not any better lol.
8ugpji9.gif

Reactions: Ryder71 and Riptide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->