Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Locked in until July

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Penguins' started by ColePens, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771 Kunitz Was There

Guentzel's also on his ELC still, though. I don't think the Penguins are lacking cheap talent for next year. You'll have Guentzel and ZAR still on ELCs and you'll have Brassard, Murray and probably Sheahan (I think he'll just take his QO and head straight to free agency) on cheaper contracts than their play deserves. There's also the potential for guys like Riikola, Bellerive, Blueger, Olund, Almari (if he comes over to NA), Dea and Johnson to step in next season and have an impact. I remember that Guerin said that Adam Johnson would have been the ZAR of this summer had he not signed last year, and he didn't have a terrible rookie season in the AHL either.

And along with that, I think Domi is probably going to get a bridge contract in the first place, so you're probably looking at around $3 million a season for him. That's an underpayment for a skilled 50 point LWer.

Edit: also, it honestly wouldn't surprise me for the Penguins to look to move Sheahan's rights and start the year with Olund and Blueger battling out for the 4C spot. They're both 2-way players and both were very productive in their respective leagues last season. You'd save a nice chunk of money by doing that.

2. SouthGeorge

SouthGeorge Registered User

He had 3 goals and a bunch of secondary assist :huh: Amazing hustle play? That was a penalty. He was in the box and came out and should have been right back in the box and potentially blowing Game 6 and forcing a Game 7. That's the stupidity you get with Letang.

3. Peat

Peat Registered User

I'll give you Guentzel. The rest of the ELCs stand as hopes & prayers, or failing my 'actual talent' test.

Also, if Sheahan indicates that he wants to do, trade his rights off to someone else who can maybe persuade him different. I'd rather have whatever you get than one year of a 2m 4C. 2m is an underpayment for Sheahan's talent. but not when nailed to 4C.

And yeah, Domi would probably be underpaid... but I'd rather gamble on Sprong being cheaper.

edit: p,s, Domi hitting 50 points here is possible, but a pretty punchy target. considering his ES totals to date. If he finds the right chemistry here, very possible, but true of Sprong here too...

edit edit: p.p.s. Most of the hopes and prayers are LWs too. If we're seriously weighing them as a factor to hit it anytime soon, that weighs against acquiring a LW a little too.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  4. RizzleMcRib

RizzleMcRib Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.

Cheeseburgers.
    People might actually take you serious if you didn't repeat everything ad nauseam.

ZeroPucksGiven likes this.
  5. SouthGeorge

Where are the lies?

6. Jacob

Jacob Registered User

Home Page:
    I'm not sure if secondary assists are of any less value in general, but definitely not for a d-man, who is much further away from the offensive net all the time and will always be a few more plays away from a goal than a forward.

PensandCaps likes this.
  7. Riptide

Riptide Registered User Sponsor

In theory, but he has something like 30 minutes of SHTOI in the last 4 years. Now is that simply because he's usually one of his teams better offensive centers, and as such they'd rather be giving him PP/ES minutes? Is it that teams usually have other quality PK/defensive centers to the point that they don't need Brassard in that role? Given that he only took a total of 7 SH FO's (RS+POs) here, I don't think we will be seeing much of him on the PK.

I'm not even that worked about about a RH center - just someone who we can use a little more defensively then how we've used Brassard. That or go get a "winger" like Sobotka or Richardson who can take on that role if we need/want.

8. SouthGeorge

How? It's their job to start the break out so they get a lot more secondary assist. Way less valuable than an offensive player.

9. SHOOTANDSCORE

SHOOTANDSCORE Eeny Meeny Miny Moe

:laugh:

OK, whose troll account is this?

10. Riptide

I wouldn't be flipping Sheahan for damn near anything. Brassard is almost certain to walk in 13 months, which means we need Sheahan. Yes he too will be a UFA, but if we give him a market rate contract and promise him that he will be the 3C, I don't think there will be much of an issue getting him signed past next season. But if we move him, we could very easily be in the same situation we were in last Oct, and I don't want to bank on JR getting as lucky as he did with RS. Given how few Crosby and Malkin have impact years left, I'd really rather not try and max out someone's value vs overpaying them slightly to ensure that we do not end up with a massive gaping hole in a key position 14 months from now.

There's also the fact that Sheahan is our only defensive/PKing center. For all practical purposes he's untouchable for me. It would be different if we were talking about a winger, as we have multiple options to replace one of those in either FA or WBS. Centers are a much different story.

ZeroPucksGiven likes this.
  11. RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers.
    The problem is that I keep falling for it.

SHOOTANDSCORE likes this.
  12. 3074326

3074326 Registered User

Selling things
    [​IMG]

He helped us win one of those bad boys in a big way.

Rudy Russo likes this.
  13. Peat

Peat Registered User

St Louis facts seem pretty sure they'll move away from him. Dunno what the price is, but would potentially be quite interested.

Its kinda fun to watch one side of the argument thanks to my ignore list, but I'm guessing more people would have more fun if they expanded theirs...

RizzleMcRib likes this.
  14. Jacob

Jacob Registered User

Home Page:
    So you think a d-man that gets 50 assists is less valuable than a forward that gets 50?

15. Sideline

Sideline Registered User Sponsor

Guys just use the ignore option. It makes this site 50% better. It would be 100%, but I still end up reading responses from otherwise good posters.

Honour Over Glory likes this.
  16. RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers.
    I'm waiting for 150% better.

17. Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771 Kunitz Was There

I don't think it's unrealistic at all. In his career, he has averaged about 38 ES points per 82 games, and that's while playing with Arizona. It's not exactly a stretch to think he can hit 40+ while playing with Malkin or Crosby, with about 10 powerplay points.

18. Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory Rusty's Duster

#1 Fan of Rust. #17 on the Pens, #1 in my heart.
    Well he's been a #2C for teams he's played for, but for the Pens he's a #3C "technically" and that means that comes with some PK territory. Now the other thing the Pens can do is play Blueger with Sheahan on the 4th line and both split PK duty which wouldn't be bad either as it would groom Blueger into that role to take over some day, but yeah, I think the team should be fine using Brassard and Sheahan as the C's on the PK.

19. Riptide

**** NO. That's how you end up with scrubs in the top 9. If we have the cap space, then fill the roster with the best players possible. If that means Sheary at 3m is on the 4th line, then so be it.

That would actually be interesting. The guy can skate, PKs and plays that gritty game that most are looking for, and can play 10-12 minutes a game without looking out of place. Last 2 years in EDM, he played at a 7g/23pt pace while playing SH, PP and ES and averaging 12 minutes a game.

I think this is one of the better suggestions I've seen for a Sheary deal that would actually be realistic.

PensandCaps and SHOOTANDSCORE like this.
  20. Honour Over Glory

I want Domi in addition to keeping Sprong, if there's no way to achieve that, then **** getting Domi. We need a prospect like Sprong and I don't see this team dealing off more talented wingers that might or might not pan out for big trades any time soon even with the window to win right now. You need to constantly add new blood and Sprong needs to be that new blood this team adds. Especially one that is shoot first. Domi is a pass first guy and yeah we definitely need that too as we have some decent shooters on the team but not a lot of creativity out of the first two lines.

But if that means the Pens trade a 1st (next year) and Sheary for Domi, then cool. Otherwise, no.

21. Riptide

And yet in what everyone on here described as a **** season still scored 17 goals, and still had the best SAT numbers out of every single one of our forwards in the POs. And he wasn't getting any more OZ starts then anyone else on the team (other than Sheahan's 4th line) - CS was at 55% (33/27).

Sheary is better offensively, faster and overall more consistent. Simon is better along the boards and uses his size better and is cheaper. But he's also slower and very inconsistent. Of the two I'd take Sheary every single day if we could afford him.

He had very good chemistry with both Sheahan and Brassard these POs. The guy adds legit skilled depth to any roster. And given how few skilled wingers we actually have (aka guys who can hang onto the puck and make a play with it), we need to be very careful about getting rid of them. Especially if we're talking about potentially trading Kessel.

22. Honour Over Glory

As long as Kassian is fully good with no nose candy, yeah I think that guy would be fantastic on the 4th line with Sheahan. I honestly think out of all the teams, Edmonton would be the most interested in Sheary, he's a more proven player than the diminutive speedy guys they've been trying to add to their team.

I think we could get Kassian + a pick for Sheary.
    But then you probably don't get Domi unless you move Rust which for me, is a really sad day.

Riptide likes this.
  23. Honour Over Glory

18 goals, the guy scored 18 goals on a season where he was playing RW/LW and moved up and down from L1 to L4 on any given game.

He's crap to people here, but to most that's a ****ing good depth scorer.

Riptide likes this.
  24. Rudy Russo

Rudy Russo Registered User

Car Salesman
    I won't forget that game winning goal in game #2 of the 2017 finals against the sharks anytime soon.

Shady Machine likes this.
  25. SouthGeorge

Thanks to the Crosby stimulus package. He's never sniffed those numbers without him.

Not less valuable. Just less impressive. If you brought up a highlight reel of a forwards and defensmens 50 assist. You are going to get a lot more meaningless assist on the d's end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.