Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | I like to do just like the rest, I like my sugar sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's still the same result however. My line of thinking is add a 3c and keep Sheahan. I'll put it this way, I'd rather have Sheahan than Cullen and use a different asset to get a 3c. I think that's are best course of action. And if we are to deal an asset I'd want to deal a winger, not a center like Sheahan.
It would be better for sure. But I would prefer to have more options. What if that course of action doesn't work? Again, you don't just get whoever you want with what you want to give up. You have to give up what THEY want.

At this stage yes, I believe Sheahan is the much better option.

As one of Sheahan's biggest fans around here, I disagree. At best, it's about even. And I think that's a stretch to say Sheahan is that good.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Probably true. But it would open up that extra option. Cullen moving to LW when we add another 3C would also be an option. He'd be as big of an upgrade over Kuhn as he is over Rowney.

For sure, and I think Sheahan has LW experience... maybe? Either way, I think there’s a place for Cullen in most scenarios. Add Cullen, keep Sheahan and add a better 3C? LW depth just got better and there’s an extra C in the lineup.

Cullen is easily an upgrade over a chunk of the bottom 6.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I don't think Cullen would come back. He went to Minnesota for his family, and I don't see him wanting to spend 3-4 months away from them or pull his kids out of school in the middle of the year. Pens got lucky that he went home. It seems like age finally has caught up to him.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
As one of Sheahan's biggest fans around here, I disagree. At best, it's about even. And I think that's a stretch to say Sheahan is that good.

Cullen is 41, and has played a lot of hockey. Sheahan is 26, cost controlled and hasn't been through long playoff grinds. Physically he's superior also, has good size, a good stick and seems to have a high hockey IQ. If you look at the totality of both players, Sheahan, IMO anyhow, is the more viable option. Besides, I doubt we got him just to turn and trade him shortly thereafter..

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I don't think Cullen would come back. He went to Minnesota for his family, and I don't see him wanting to spend 3-4 months away from them or pull his kids out of school in the middle of the year. Pens got lucky that he went home. It seems like age finally has caught up to him.

Even if he has fallen off....a 1 million dollar mistake is nothing. And besides, he will probably look alot better here

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He is a quality 3C.

I’d say age would stop him from that but he’ll still have his skill and smarts. That alone will go along way with some new 4th line wingers. At the very least he’d make the ones we have right now better. Kuhnhackl did well with him.

Everyone loves him too. The boys would get an instant moral boost and might start giving a **** again. Cullen with an awe inspiring this is my last year speech.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It’s time to get over Cullen, seriously. It’s getting weird at this point. Sheahan is a fine replacement at 4C.

Only if it's weird to want to re-acquire the perfect 4th line center, which Cullen absolutely has been the last 2 years.

At this stage yes, I believe Sheahan is the much better option.

Sheahan's acquitted himself pretty well here, but he has not been as good as Cullen was last year.

That said, we wouldn't necessarily have to move Sheahan. Cullen's dirt cheap, and we could use him in any number of capacities...even as a 13th forward if need be. He'd be worth it.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
We’d be trading Sheahan to bring in someone better.

Cullen coming in is seperate.
You don't need to. You can still bring in another center in addition to Cullen and keep Sheahan. Its works well if the other center can also play on left wing. It makes our line up very versatile.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Only if it's weird to want to re-acquire the perfect 4th line center, which Cullen absolutely has been the last 2 years.

Sheahan's acquitted himself pretty well here, but he has not been as good as Cullen was last year.

That said, we wouldn't necessarily have to move Sheahan. Cullen's dirt cheap, and we could use him in any number of capacities...even as a 13th forward if need be. He'd be worth it.

I just fundamentally disagree. Culen is gone, he made his choice, once he did than that should close that chapter. Sheahan is an adequate replacement and the pursuit continues for a quality 3c. Hopefully one with term.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Watching NHL tonight talking about Cullen being a HS. Wow, the NHL tonight crew really like Cullen, damn!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I just fundamentally disagree. Culen is gone, he made his choice, once he did than that should close that chapter. Sheahan is an adequate replacement and the pursuit continues for a quality 3c. Hopefully one with term.

If your assertion is that we should no longer pursue effective former players we could use because they chose to leave the team in FA, then yes, we do fundamentally disagree.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If your assertion is that we should no longer pursue effective former players we could use because they chose to leave the team in FA, then yes, we do fundamentally disagree.

Why give up an asset for someone who could have just picked us for free? And left a two time champ for family reasons. If that's the case what has changed? His family is in MIN. If he's true to his word he shouldn't want to leave the Wild.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Why give up an asset for someone who could have just picked us for free? And left a two time champ for family reasons. If that's the case what has changed? His family is in MIN. If he's true to his word he shouldn't want to leave the Wild.
You are a brave man saying that the Pens shouldn’t reacquire Cullen on these boards. I agree with your opinion though.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Why give up an asset for someone who could have just picked us for free?

Because he’s a great player to have hidden in the bottom 6 and the Pens need that. All that should mater is that he can still perform and that the price isn’t ridiculous.

And left a two time champ for family reasons. If that's the case what has changed? His family is in MIN. If he's true to his word he shouldn't want to leave the Wild.

I'm going to guess there was a conversation about it like mature adults.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Because he’s a great player to have hidden in the bottom 6 and the Pens need that. All that should mater is that he can still perform and that the price isn’t ridiculous.

I'm going to guess there was a conversation about it like mature adults.

And I'm gonna guess that the Wifey says no just like she done told him this summer. Again the dynamics haven't changed. So why not move on and find another target?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You are a brave man saying that the Pens shouldn’t reacquire Cullen on these boards. I agree with your opinion though.

Indeed I am a brave Man. I'm not a man in the ilk of a Hornqvist mind you, but I do what I can. :thumbu:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Probably because it hasn't worked out as he planned. Such is life.

I'd give up an asset for him because he's good and cheap at a position where we could use extra depth and quality. Where he chose to play over the summer doesn't enter into the equation if he can help us now.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Probably because it hasn't worked out as he planned. Such is life.

I'd give up an asset for him because he's good and cheap at a position where we could use extra depth and quality. Where he chose to play over the summer doesn't enter into the equation if he can help us now.

Then you are ignoring the family dynamic altogether. His professional career has changed, but the reason he left has not.

Well, unless the reason he left was BS in the first place.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
am I crazy for thinking Hags is a bigger problem at 3LW than Sheahan is at 3C?
Not crazy but I can see Hags starting to turn it around. I also love Hags with Kessel.

In the current state having Hags, Sheahan, Kuhnhackl, Rowney and Reaves not really getting any goals is the problem. That’s too many. You want to have that kind of list at 1 or 2 max (as long as they contribute in other areas D, forecheck etc)

And you can't say the same about Sheahan? His goal the other day aside, his play for the last 10-12 games has been very very good.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The Wild are only 3 points out of a playoff spot and they’ve played in 2 fewer games than the wildcard teams ahead of them. Let’s not act like their season is over and Matt wants out.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Then you are ignoring the family dynamic altogether. His professional career has changed, but the reason he left has not.

Well, unless the reason he left was BS in the first place.

Nope. It's entirely possible that the prospect of both returning to Minny AND getting regular playing time in his final season was what convinced him to sign with the Wild, but not getting the playing time he expected tipped the balance back to his former club for a Cup run.

But whatever the reason, it doesn't matter so long as he can help us. And he could.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Nope. It's entirely possible that the prospect of both returning to Minny AND getting regular playing time in his final season was what convinced him to sign with the Wild, but not getting the playing time he expected tipped the balance back to his former club for a Cup run.

But whatever the reason, it doesn't matter so long as he can help us. And he could.

Well, we're back to square one then. Agree to disagree.:nod:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
And you can't say the same about Sheahan? His goal the other day aside, his play for the last 10-12 games has been very very good.

I’m sure Sheahan would do ok here eventually not sure about in time for the playoffs though. It would be great if we had a 3C already and had Sheahan for the 4th line. Give him some guys who are able to chip in offensively and it’d be a solid line. Kind of like how we used Schultz started lower down the order and as he got better he got a bigger role.

I have more faith in Hagelin turning it around quicker because he’s been better for longer in the past.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
And I'm gonna guess that the Wifey says no just like she done told him this summer. Again the dynamics haven't changed. So why not move on and find another target?

Yeah, I doubt his wife is some dictator who made her decision and it’s set in stone. His career is ticking down, it’s likely his last season and Minnesota isn’t doing anything.

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->