Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | I like to do just like the rest, I like my sugar sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Nope. Wonder what a Hagelin-Cullen-Sprong 4th line would be like though. Cullen and Hags can cover for Sprongs defensive mistakes.
A Cullen and Hags line would be starting in the D zone an awful lot. That doesn't seem like the spot Sully would use Sprong if that's the worry.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
am I crazy for thinking Hags is a bigger problem at 3LW than Sheahan is at 3C?

Not crazy but I can see Hags starting to turn it around. I also love Hags with Kessel.

In the current state having Hags, Sheahan, Kuhnhackl, Rowney and Reaves not really getting any goals is the problem. That’s too many. You want to have that kind of list at 1 or 2 max (as long as they contribute in other areas D, forecheck etc)

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Not crazy but I can see Hags starting to turn it around. I also love Hags with Kessel.

In the current state having Hags, Sheahan, Kuhnhackl, Rowney and Reaves not really getting any goals is the problem. That’s too many. You want to have that kind of list at 1 or 2 max (as long as they contribute in other areas D, forecheck etc)
I think both have been turning it around honestly. Hopefully they can keep doing it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It’s time to get over Cullen, seriously. It’s getting weird at this point. Sheahan is a fine replacement at 4C.
Cullen's still an upgrade short term, can play LW, and would leave us with plenty of flexibility of still making another move.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Getting Cullen doesn’t stop us from getting a quality 3C

We only have so many assets so it would certainly hinder us in that regard.

Cullen did a good job every time we moved him to a scoring line the last two years. And he turned a 4th line of guys like Wilson and Kuhn into a decent scoring line.

He's 41 now, eventually those long playoff runs can take a toll. I think we need to look at other options.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It’s time to get over Cullen, seriously. It’s getting weird at this point. Sheahan is a fine replacement at 4C.

I agree, I understand Cullen has a following here and to his credit he did a great job. But that time IMO is over. Let's look to the future and find a younger more capable player that can propel us forward beyond even this season.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

He's 41 now, eventually those long playoff runs can take a toll. I think we need to look at other options.

Not really because Sheahan would be an asset too and it could give a team a replacement centre to make a trade easier (as part of a bigger deal obviously).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Adding Cullen would allow us to add Sheahan to that list of assets we can spend for a 3C though.

I'm really not worried about that. The guy turned a line with guys like Wilson and Kuhn into the best 4th line in the league. He's so much better than our other 4C options that he has plenty of room to decline before I would be upset with him as our 4C.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Cullen's still an upgrade short term, can play LW, and would leave us with plenty of flexibility of still making another move.
There aren’t many players that wouldn’t be an instant upgrade to our 4th line though.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Adding Cullen would allow us to add Sheahan to that list of assets we can spend for a 3C though.

I'm really not worried about that. The guy turned a line with guys like Wilson and Kuhn into the best 4th line in the league. He's so much better than our other 4C options that he has plenty of room to decline before I would be upset with him as our 4C.

Why would we want to trade Sheahan? He'd be great in a 4th line roll. He's young, cost controlled and according himself well enough here.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Cullen, Kane, defensive depth incase injuries for the playoffs. That should be what we are looking for. Also try a few WBS guys, the team needs more hunger on their roster.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Not really because Sheahan would be an asset too and it could give a team a replacement centre to make a trade easier (as part of a bigger deal obviously).
So, we want to trade Sheahan to bring in a guy like Cullen? I fundamentally disagree with this approach.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
So, we want to trade Sheahan to bring in a guy like Cullen? I fundamentally disagree with this approach.
We don't want to trade Sheahan. But you usually don't want to trade what it costs to get good players. You have it backwards. We wouldn't trade Sheahan to make room for Cullen. We would have the flexibility to trade Sheahan because we added Cullen.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I’d be surprised to see jr trade Sheahan now, tbh. A reclamation project is trending in the right direction and could bolster the C depth for awhile, even for a better 3C and with Cullen back.
Probably true. But it would open up that extra option. Cullen moving to LW when we add another 3C would also be an option. He'd be as big of an upgrade over Kuhn as he is over Rowney.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We don't want to trade Sheahan. But you usually don't want to trade what it costs to get good players. You have it backwards. We wouldn't trade Sheahan to make room for Cullen. We would have the flexibility to trade Sheahan because we added Cullen.

It's still the same result however. My line of thinking is add a 3c and keep Sheahan. I'll put it this way, I'd rather have Sheahan than Cullen and use a different asset to get a 3c. I think that's are best course of action. And if we are to deal an asset I'd want to deal a winger, not a center like Sheahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad