Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Countdown to Free Agency (Cap Details + Links in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Trading for Karlsson would be a top 10 all-time moment for this franchise, which is saying a lot cuz they’ve done stuff like win 5 Cups and draft Lemieux, Crosby and Malkin.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
the Karlsson stuff in here is making me a little sad. he's not coming here and i don't wanna get my hopes up.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Do players actively hate the Pittsburgh area?

Just wondering why it is so rare for the city to land big free agents/rare for good free agents to re-sign here. I mean, sure, it isn't NY or LA....but...like....The Church Brew Works, man!

As someone super far away from it (like other continent away) that's not even the sense I get. The Penguins seem to have very few problems with re-signing their own draftee FAs and the only time I remember them really striking out on a big name in FA, was the Suter/Parise business. Most recent years they simply didn't have the cap space to bid on the big FAs and also: that has mostly been a blessing (Backes, Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson Boedker, etc).

Of the big drafted names Letang was the only one giving them any trouble at all and that reportedly was, BECAUSE he wantedto stay and was afraid he'd be traded in his RFA year. On the FA market, Michalek and Martin were sought after names the year they signed them, Erhoff at least at that cheap price was envied too. They usually seem to be on top players trade lists (Iginla, Kessel).

What I am saying is, that I can see the "they are not NYC, LA" part, certainly, but as long as they are enjoying some success I also don't share the impression that the location is a huge turn off. The only non-NYC/LA-teams who seem to have an obviously better draw are Tampa and Chicago, maybe Dallas. It's not like everyone is rushing past Pittsburgh to sign with WSH, COL, CAR, DET, STL you catch my drift. Honestly, even the NYC draw seems to not extend past the Rangers.

Edit: OK, I forgot Staal in my second paragraph.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
As someone super far away from it (like other continent away) that's not even the sense I get. The Penguins seem to have very few problems with re-signing their own draftee FAs and the only time I remember them really striking out on a big name in FA, was the Suter/Parise business. Most recent years they simply didn't have the cap space to bid on the big FAs and also: that has mostly been a blessing (Backes, Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson Boedker, etc).

Of the big drafted names Letang was the only one giving them any trouble at all and that reportedly was, BECAUSE he wantedto stay and was afraid he'd be traded in his RFA year. On the FA market, Michalek and Martin were sought after names the year they signed them, Erhoff at least at that cheap price was envied too. They usually seem to be on top players trade lists (Iginla, Kessel).

What I am saying is, that I can see the "they are not NYC, LA" part, certainly, but as long as they are enjoying some success I also don't share the impression that the location is a huge turn off. The only non-NYC/LA-teams who seem to have an obviously better draw are Tampa and Chicago, maybe Dallas. It's not like everyone is rushing past Pittsburgh to sign with WSH, COL, CAR, DET, STL you catch my drift. Honestly, even the NYC draw seems to not extend past the Rangers.

Edit: OK, I forgot Staal in my second paragraph.

Seems about right. The Staal situation as well wasnt even about the city itself.

He wanted a shot at being #2 or #1 Center. He also really wanted to play with his brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad