Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Change is Imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Madden makes just as compelling as a point as that point.

No, I think he legitimately liked Johnson. I think the acquisitions of Gudbranson and Pettersson pushed Johnson out of having a spot, that's why JR is looking to move him.

You think getting two defenseman that pushes him out of the lineup isn’t a hint that they may have realized he laid an egg on that one? Aight. Guy was a HS.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Replace Riikola with Maatta and it’s way better.

Meh Maatta in a down year was still better than Riikola (easily IMO). Maatta would be better in the West though. His stats against Western teams this past season were legit good.

Happy to have Riikola as a #7 for injuries and come up for healthy scratches unless he proves otherwise of course.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Yeah, I'm sorry but Riiko (like every f***ing young prospect it seems) got a million miles on this board, off a great camp and preseason when games don't matter and the players are generally going at quite the reduced pace.

I thought he was decent but people acting like he was a top 4 Dman on the whole are just nuts IMO. Maybe he peaks to that level but I thought he was your average bottom pairing guy far more often than not. If he's your #6 you could do worse, certainly but putting into a top 4 role without blinking?

No. Not yet.

Now, if you factor in cost, he's probably more valuable than somebody like Maatta or Guds who make what, 4.5x what JR makes?

But on pure results? I thought Gudbranson, strangely enough showed better once he came over.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Guds and JJ for Zaitsev...do it JR

And while we’re at it...Rust for Kapanen

JJ+Rust for Zaitsev+Kapanen would be an interesting offer to mull over. I know it's not the exact situation, but I do feel like Zaitsev could be Schultz or Niskanen. He has the skill set. Does a fresh start help? $4.5mil is a tough sell at that many years but...if we had the space come Sept 30th and we still have JJ...I may do it.

Summary from TIOPs from another poster...

TIOPS latest on Penguins and Kessel:

--Says Kessel is not going to be a Penguins this fall under any circumstance. He will be moved and will not be on the roster come fall.

--Concern is now, if Penguins can't find a partner on Kessel's list, how far does Kessel drag this out....July, August?? That would totally wreck any further plans the Penguins have.

--Says Penguins have set their sights on the plan, knowing they will be subtracting talent for team chemistry and buy-in.

--TIOPS says that GMJR's plan after the trade deadline was to make Kessel the scapegoat for a failed season, and, before he took at 2 week break after their playoff exit, he told GMs he had an internal deadline to complete a Kessel trade before the start of the Cup Finals.

--Says the trade was in the works for about 2 weeks before it became public knowledge. Fenton wanted a week or so to think about it, green lighted the deal on Monday the 20th, official trade request went to Kessel on the 21st, but says Kessel agency had gotten wind of this potential deal earlier, had already given Phil background on the Wild's prospects, Boudreau's system player feedback, etc, and it was a pretty quick turnaround for Phil to officially say no.

--Says Penguins are extremely frustrated because they thought they were doing him a favor by trying to shop him to his home state.

--TIOPS says, as widely reported before, that Kessel's 8 team trade list is made up of teams that can't afford him under the cap or don't want him. TIOPS said for over 5 years there were two Western Conference clubs on his list, but, after those teams reportedly checked in/kicked tires last year at the draft, Kessel removed them from his list. Another rumor, which doesn't fit with my next bullet, is that Arizona was on his list, but Kessel removed them when Pittsburgh asked for an updated list, just to have the power.

--TIOPS claims Tampa, Toronto, Boston, Rangers, Islanders, and Flyers are 6 teams on his list.

--TIOPS says Rutherford has gone back to work trying to get more teams to the table (two teams not on his list, one team that is), and that Arizona hasn't said anything, just sitting back and waiting to see how this all shakes out before playing their cards as to whether they actually have any interest.

Regurgitating a lot of what we already know.

It's Phil's to do what he wants with...but weaponizing his NTC knocks him down a couple pegs in my book. Shitty thing to do IMHO.

Please hockey gods...Kessel to Toronto for Kapanen, 1st.

With that...I wonder if there's a way to do a three way with one of the teams on the list?

So...the premise being we just magically trade three dmen...three expensive dmen. Lolz.

Dumo-Letang
Petts-Schultz
Riikola-Gudbranson

is a very realistic and capable defense.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
JJ+Rust for Zaitsev+Kapanen would be an interesting offer to mull over. I know it's not the exact situation, but I do feel like Zaitsev could be Schultz or Niskanen. He has the skill set. Does a fresh start help? $4.5mil is a tough sell at that many years but...if we had the space come Sept 30th and we still have JJ...I may do it.

It's Phil's to do what he wants with...but weaponizing his NTC knocks him down a couple pegs in my book. ****ty thing to do IMHO.

With that...I wonder if there's a way to do a three way with one of the teams on the list?

So...the premise being we just magically trade three dmen...three expensive dmen. Lolz.

Dumo-Letang
Petts-Schultz
Riikola-Gudbranson

Kessel earned the right to an NTC, he's not 'weaponizing' it, it's literally in his contract. That's on management for trying to set up trades to places he clearly said he didn't want to go and has every right to deny.

I'd do that trade, but Dubas isn't an idiot. He's one GM that definitely doesn't buy into 'good hockey man' bullshit.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh

It's Phil's to do what he wants with...but weaponizing his NTC knocks him down a couple pegs in my book. ****ty thing to do IMHO.

Dumo-Letang
Petts-Schultz
Riikola-Gudbranson

I agree, and would be completely fine going into the season like that at least to see what you have. Use Kessel, Maatta and Jarry as trade chips to fix F and get rid of Johnson, then make an in-season acquisition at D if needed (or even if not needed).

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kessel earned the right to an NTC, he's not 'weaponizing' it, it's literally in his contract. That's on management for trying to set up trades to places he clearly said he didn't want to go and has every right to deny.

I'd do that trade, but Dubas isn't an idiot. He's one GM that definitely doesn't buy into 'good hockey man' bull****.

Couple things:

1. Didn't say he didn't earn it. He did.
2. He has 100% weaponized it. I don't think that's even up for debate.
3. Didn't say it wasn't in his contract. It is.
4. When you've weaponized your NTC to include only teams that don't want you or can't afford you, it's JRs fault for actually seeking out teams that will want him? WTF is this?

People can agree to disagree with me. I think Phil Kessel is being a grade A asshole when it comes to doing this trade. He's earned the right...not saying he hasn't earned the right to exercise his NTC. But what he doing, is being an asshole.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
On one hand, I get it if the Penguins think “the only reason we’re trading you is because you were an ass this season, and we’ve done nothing but help your career and publicly go to bat for you, so give us a break here.”

But on the other hand, you’re asking a guy to move across the country. I’d also like to pick where if I could.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
This was always going to happen with Kessel. The day they acquired him, most people realized we would have to sell low on him down the road.

They gambled and it worked out, two cups.

But now it’s also time to deal with the consequences of trying to move the guy - and if that trade list from Depoli is correct - he wants to go back to two organizations and two cities who couldn’t wait to get him out of town?

I mean look at the teams on that list.... he has to be pulling something... he knows Boston and Toronto don’t want his ass and the rest are direct rivals of the Pens.

This seems like it could get ugly.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think we should put the blame squarely where it belongs.

Phil’s crazy mom :popcorn:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
On one hand, I get it if the Penguins think “the only reason we’re trading you is because you were an ass this season, and we’ve done nothing but help your career and publicly go to bat for you, so give us a break here.”

But on the other hand, you’re asking a guy to move across the country. I’d also like to pick where if I could.

Exactly. JR knew who he was acquiring. It worked out for us, but now those issues are coming up. Can’t act surprised.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
This was always going to happen with Kessel. The day they acquired him, most people realized we would have to sell low on him down the road.

They gambled and it worked out, two cups.

But now it’s also time to deal with the consequences of trying to move the guy - and if that trade list from Depoli is correct - he wants to go back to two organizations and two cities who couldn’t wait to get him out of town?

I mean look at the teams on that list.... he has to be pulling something... he knows Boston and Toronto don’t want his ass and the rest are direct rivals of the Pens.

This seems like it could get ugly.

Then Phil better gain some quick perspective. Right now he's a fan favorite in Pittsburgh, but if he ties the Pens hands this offseason, stays on the team and they start very slow, he could be a target for a ton of vitriol.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
Maybe we can trade Sullivan too?

Or are we all still pretending his schtick isn’t up?

*I don’t think he’s a bad coach, I just think his drink the cool aid, retail district manager approach has most likely run its course.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

*I don’t think he’s a bad coach, I just think his drink the cool aid, retail district manager approach has most likely run its course.

I don’t think his approach is different than most coaches. Guys like Kessel and Sprong are in the bottom percentile of forward defensive play and have/will continue to drive most coaches insane.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don’t think his approach is different than most coaches. Guys like Kessel and Sprong are in the bottom percentile of forward defensive play and have/will continue to drive most coaches insane.

The issue is by firing Sullivan you allow that shit to fester.

It is why we moved Neal and “lost” the trade.

Same situation as Kessel. If you consistently disagree with the coach, sorry. You’re replaceable.

If this was Sid or Geno. Different story, but those guys do anything they’re asked.

Kessel is bitching about a coach who is asking him to play roles that resulted in back to back Cups, a Smythe performance, and his career year.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The issue is by firing Sullivan you allow that **** to fester.

It is why we moved Neal and “lost” the trade.

Same situation as Kessel. If you consistently disagree with the coach, sorry. You’re replaceable.

If this was Sid or Geno. Different story, but those guys do anything they’re asked.

Kessel is *****ing about a coach who is asking him to play roles that resulted in back to back Cups, a Smythe performance, and his career year.

And it’s a good thing the coaches hate Geno with Phil. The reason why Phil ended up with Geno still and why he was allowed to play in the playoffs in 2018 was because Sullivan isn’t the authoritarian Torts clone some seem to think. Sullivan gave Phil what he wanted in part because he expected Phil to live up to his demands. He hasn’t done that for two years now, so the team is done with him.

At the end of the day it was Sullivan who turned the team around, not Phil and it wasn’t Sullivan who got scared of Tom Wilson either to set the team back.. so nobody should be comfortable with JR making that change if it happens.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Sully's coaching is like watching a fantasy blockbuster movie..... first or second time through, you're wowed.

After that, you wonder what's gone so wrong in you're life that you're wasting 3 hrs watching Muppet's kill other meaningless Muppet's.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Sully's coaching is like watching a fantasy blockbuster movie..... first or second time through, you're wowed.

After that, you wonder what's gone so wrong in you're life that you're wasting 3 hrs watching Muppet's kill other meaningless Muppet's.

....Suddenly I see all your other posts with greater clarity.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
And it’s a good thing the coaches hate Geno with Phil. The reason why Phil ended up with Geno still and why he was allowed to play in the playoffs in 2018 was because Sullivan isn’t the authoritarian Torts clone some seem to think. Sullivan gave Phil what he wanted in part because he expected Phil to live up to his demands. He hasn’t done that for two years now, so the team is done with him.

At the end of the day it was Sullivan who turned the team around, not Phil and it wasn’t Sullivan who got scared of Tom Wilson either to set the team back.. so nobody should be comfortable with JR making that change if it happens.

I agree with a lot of this.

Kessel doesn’t deserve anything here. He’s never done anything but be a 6.8 third liner or run shotgun with Malkin.

If Malkin was making these demands you clean house. Fact is he never will until JR pushes him to with his idiotic takes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad