Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, that is annoying. It seems like Sullivan (I.e. Crosby’s ) insistence on Rust being on the 1st line does our overall depth a disservice.

Still less of a disservice than refusing to share the Letang wealth.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I assume one of Rust, Bjugstad or Kessel is traded and I think they all have value.

Also, I don’t see the issue of having a player of Bjugstad / Rust / or Hornqvist’s caliber on the 4th line.

I actually think Rust ends up on the LW when all is said and done. I suspect Horny at some point when the games matter ends up with Sid. And, I think when the time comes, Phil's the guy who goes.

Reactions: pistolpete11

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I mean they’ve been playing Letang in the 30 minute mark so he can player with both of them right?

No, although as I noted, Letang plays 48% of his 5 on 5 shifts with Sid, 32% with the bottom 6, and 20% with Geno. Figuring a bit of that 20% is empty net situations and line changes, let's just say I'm not a fan of the 'let's stick Johnson with Geno most of the time and then wonder why Geno turned into a basket case . . . just like EVERYONE else who plays with Johnson' approach.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean, let's be realistic here. The Penguins are almost definitely trading Kessel this off-season unless they win the cup. The RW/LW problem will go away when they're moving Kessel in the off-season.

Kessel has been elite offensively for so long that teams overlook the other problems in his game, but man, his play outside of his offense has been even worse this year. He has always had bad to horrid on-ice stats (like they're on par with Johnson bad), but it's even worse now and he's also creating problems defensively on the PP.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I assume one of Rust, Bjugstad or Kessel is traded and I think they all have value.

Also, I don’t see the issue of having a player of Bjugstad / Rust / or Hornqvist’s caliber on the 4th line.

If it ain't Bjugstad, it's time to riot.

Hornqvist is a 5.5 million dollar player who's proven to work very well in a complementary top 6 role for us. I have a big issue with wasting that player on the 4th line on account of a player who's produced like Bjugstad has with his opportunities this year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
No, although as I noted, Letang plays 48% of his 5 on 5 shifts with Letang, 32% with the bottom 6, and 20% with Geno. Figuring a bit of that 20% is empty net situations and line changes, let's just say I'm not a fan of the 'let's stick Johnson with Geno most of the time and then wonder why Geno turned into a basket case . . . just like EVERYONE else who plays with Johnson' approach.

The joke of Letang playing 50% of ES shifts with Letang is an intentional dig at him isn’t it?

Reactions: KIRK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
If it ain't Bjugstad, it's time to riot.

Hornqvist is a 5.5 million dollar player who's proven to work very well in a complementary top 6 role for us. I have a big issue with wasting that player on the 4th line on account of a player who's produced like Bjugstad has with his opportunities this year.

Bjugstad had 49 points last year on the RW.

He also has more creativity than Hornqvist which is why Malkin and Horny struggle.

When all is said and done Rust like moves to the LW this year and then someone is dealt.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I mean, let's be realistic here. The Penguins are almost definitely trading Kessel this off-season unless they win the cup. The RW/LW problem will go away when they're moving Kessel in the off-season.

I can't even fathom the rationale behind trading Kessel and keeping Bjugstad.

It makes me want to burn things.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The joke of Letang playing 50% of ES shifts with Letang is an intentional dig at him isn’t it?

Sadly, no. I meant to type Letang plays 48% of his 5 on 5 shifts with Sid and have made that correction. That said, your interpretation is funnier, so I'm good with it. :D

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I can't even fathom the rationale behind trading Kessel and keeping Bjugstad.

It makes me want to burn things.

They can easily rationalize Kessel as being a ticking time bomb, and when his offense even regresses a little bit, they're going to be stuck with an immovable albatross of a contract. Do I think they should move him? I'll get back to you after the playoffs, but there is a justification for it. Kessel is a really, really, really, really bad player outside of his offense, even more so than usual this year.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
They can easily rationalize Kessel as being a ticking time bomb, and when his offense even regresses a little bit, they're going to be stuck with an immovable albatross of a contract. Do I think they should move him? I'll get back to you after the playoffs, but there is a justification for it. Kessel is a really, really, really, really bad player outside of his offense, even more so than usual this year.

In 100% fairness to him...and this is coming from one of his biggest haters...he could be suffering a bit from the Jack Johnson effect too. So there's that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Except Bjugstad isn't anywhere close to as good. He's not within spitting distance. They aren't in the same stratosphere.

This team has to get younger. I don’t see how you hoot and holler about Letang needing to be moved for his inconsistency and then act like moving Kessel destroys our window.

Kessel was brought in with the assumption we’d need to move him. We now have solid RW depth that allows it without hurting us severely.

I think you’re also downplaying the fact Jugs can swap pivot spots with Malkin on occasion and is also a RH to go with Malkin’s LH in that regard.

Also, if Jugs doesn’t work out. No big deal he’s a 26-27 top nine forward that can play wing and center on a solid deal. Move him for a pick and keep Kessel.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In 100% fairness to him...and this is coming from one of his biggest haters...he could be suffering a bit from the Jack Johnson effect too. So there's that.

That's not a legitimate excuse, he's been like this in a majority of seasons. You can't just blame all of the problems this team has on Jack Johnson :laugh:

He's nowhere even close to where he was last year analytically, and I'm pretty sure most would agree with that based on the eye test. Do you want the Penguins to be the team that gets stuck with that? I don't, but I also don't want to prematurely trade him. So it's a tough question.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Kessel is gone after this year. He has a salary of 5.1 million the next three years and that is really cheap for that production. Pens need to clear cap space and he is one of contracts moved. Also have to pay Jake and find a top 4 D man. I actually like the team into next year if Kessel gone for picks/prospects. Maybe Pearson but he is not a killer yet. Olli for a different top 4 D man. JJ traded with maybe small retention as well.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It isn’t really one season and it’s not like they can’t trade Bjugstad if it doesn’t work out.

But it really is 1 good season out of the last 3, and that 1 season ain't the most recent one.

Over his last 3 seasons, he's averaging a 38 point pace. Kessel's averaging an 82 point pace. And that's not even considering that Kessel has proven to be a much more durable player.

I think if you can get a 1st and a top four LD for Kessel this team could arguably be better suited long term with Bjugstad in place.

That makes me want to barf. Goodbye contention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad