Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post | We can't pay the D this much...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Keep in mind Kessel has a 3 year contract remaining with a average salary of 5.13 million. that is very attractive for teams wanting to have a player such as Kessel with short term implications at a favorable budget cost. Olli also is favorable contract now with a decent AAV for a experienced and young top 5 defender.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I honestly think it comes down to the Maatta thing.

We have too many natural RWs. We already lost Sprong because of it. With our need for cap, the development of Jake and Rust into 20+ goal guys and the addition of Bjugstad and McCann as additional 20 goal potential players here it just does not make sense to keep Kessel. Unless for some reason they finally decide to run Jake - Crosby - Kessel as L1.

It is either Hornqvist or Kessel and at this point Hornqvist does so much more on each line.

I don't consider that a loss by any means. The fact that we managed to get Pettersson out of it is a huge bonus, but even if we hadn't, it still wasn't a loss.

As for having multiple other 20g guys, I'm not sure that's a legit reason to move Kessel. He does a lot more than just score 20 goals.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't consider that a loss by any means. The fact that we managed to get Pettersson out of it is a huge bonus, but even if we hadn't, it still wasn't a loss.

As for having multiple other 20g guys, I'm not sure that's a legit reason to move Kessel. He does a lot more than just score 20 goals.

I mean, I’m not heart broken by it, but it certainly was a factor.

Also, what exactly does Kessel bring to this line up outside of goals at this point?

If you want to argue in 15-16 he carried the third line. Sure.

If you want to argue in 16-17 he acted as an additional offensive top six winger. Sure.

If he comes big in the playoffs year with meaningful production versus what he did last year, I can see being worried. But, right now I see a player that collects points of our stars and does little else.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Keep in mind Kessel has a 3 year contract remaining with a average salary of 5.13 million. that is very attractive for teams wanting to have a player such as Kessel with short term implications at a favorable budget cost. Olli also is favorable contract now with a decent AAV for a experienced and young top 5 defender.

I don't think it'll matter unless he agree's to open up his NTC a little more - and even then it's not likely an issue. His contract is too short (in a good way) and he's too good of a player with too low of a cap hit (compared to his peers) and has a very restrictive NTC for his salary to really enter into the conversation. It will basically end up being an added bonus more than anything - but I doubt it will add much value in terms of what we get in return.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Also, what exactly does Kessel bring to this line up outside of goals at this point?

If you want to argue in 16-17 he acted as an additional offensive top six winger. Sure.

If he comes big in the playoffs year with meaningful production versus what he did last year, I can see being worried. But, right now I see a player that collects points of our stars and does little else.

I don't think anyone should argue that.

Bones' work all over the zone and Hags' forecheck were so substantial that nobody carried that line. (The effort Hags put into the BoninoBoninoBonino goal was his signature shift with the Pens imo) Not to take away the K in the HBK, I just think those 3 complimented each other too well to say that any one of them carried the line. That's something you say when you've got Sid centering Sheary and Kunitz.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't think anyone should argue that.

Bones' work all over the zone and Hags' forecheck were so substantial that nobody carried that line. (The effort Hags put into the BoninoBoninoBonino goal was his signature shift with the Pens imo) Not to take away the K in the HBK, I just think those 3 complimented each other too well to say that any one of them carried the line. That's something you say when you've got Sid centering Sheary and Kunitz.

I agree. But, I’m fine with the argument if one wants to make it. I think we’ve clearly seen how important Bonino was here. But, Bjugstad has a lot of similarities.

The issue is like Brass, Bjugstad wants the puck and wants to shoot. That doesn’t mesh with Phil’s game.

Reactions: Riptide

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

How easy do you think it is to play with Sid or Geno and put up 70+ points consistently? I get a lot of that is PP points, but he is still producing 40+ ES points and importantly, he stays healthy.

Who can we replace him with that provides 40+ ES points consistently, stays healthy, and can run their own line if/when Malkin is injured?

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I agree. But, I’m fine with the argument if one wants to make it. I think we’ve clearly seen how important Bonino was here. But, Bjugstad has a lot of similarities.

Kessel just needs an opposing wing who can get dirty in the corners.

I seriously think we should give him a go with Cullen. Three years ago I never would have supported that- but Phil's speed is no longer good enough to blow through the neutral zone. He needs a cerebral C on his line who can play behind the net. Maybe Bjugs gets there? He just seems to skate with his head down too much and tends to favor the corners. Call it crazy, but if you can convince someone like Horny to play LW, and do a Hornqvist - Cullen - Kessel third line... I think that gets you as close to HBK as we'll get out of this roster.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
How easy do you think it is to play with Sid or Geno and put up 70+ points consistently? I get a lot of that is PP points, but he is still producing 40+ ES points and importantly, he stays healthy.

Who can we replace him with that provides 40+ ES points consistently, stays healthy, and can run their own line if/when Malkin is injured?

Bryan Rust as he has been on pace to the last two years.

Jokinen did it. Etc.

Kessel has never ran his own line here either. And now that we are seeing the impact of having a 3rd line again. I see no reason to need Kessel.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Bryan Rust as he has been on pace to the last two years.

Jokinen did it. Etc.

Kessel has never ran his own line here either. And now that we are seeing the impact of having a 3rd line again. I see no reason to need Kessel.

And neither have stayed healthy and done it consistently. Rust is injured every year for 20ish games.

I'm not totally opposed to moving Kessel, but I don't see a lot of scenarios out there that make the Pens better.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

His biggest asset aside from his individual production (goals/playmaking abilities) is his ability to get the puck into the OZ. We see it illustrated on the PP all the time. This was also one of Sheary's biggest assets, and it's something that we were missing much of this season until we did the trade with Florida. Not having Schultz for much of the season didn't make things any easier, but the more player's who can consistently get the pucks into the OZ the better off we are.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Run it well? I wouldn't count on it. Not right now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
His biggest asset aside from his individual production (goals/playmaking abilities) is his ability to get the puck into the OZ. We see it illustrated on the PP all the time. This was also one of Sheary's biggest assets, and it's something that we were missing much of this season until we did the trade with Florida. Not having Schultz for much of the season didn't make things any easier, but the more player's who can consistently get the pucks into the OZ the better off we are.

While I agree. If they force him with Geno, I don’t. The most frustrating thing for me about that pairing is the consistent lazy off sides and icings.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Give Phil the summer to get himself “right”. If he’s still not playing well the first few months of next season, then you might consider trading him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Give Phil the summer to get himself “right”. If he’s still not playing well the first few months of next season, then you might consider trading him.

Trading Kessel and getting good value during the season would be very very hard. And due to his cap hit you're guaranteed to take back salary. If you're going to move him, you do it in the summer.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You can't wait and see with Phil, I don't think. There are too many quality options this summer to replace his role. Hell, despite his rough season, his value might not ever be higher than this summer. Say a team like Nashville desperately wants scoring and misses out on big free agents. They could very easily pony up for Phil. I can see that scenario with a bunch of teams close to the Cup, and I think the arms race (particularly out West) will only intensify after this post season.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
This organization will go down with the ship if Malkin has started to regress. He isn't being traded and will retire a Pen.

Kessel is a complementary piece that can be moved out anytime we deem fit. He's a very productive player, but as was mentioned ad nauseum, Guentzel or two D can replace Kessel on the PP. Our PP has been good for a decade. It will continue being good without Phil. HIs ES numbers can be replaced by signing one of the 2nd line caliber players in free agency.

His iron man streak is impressive and on a team where we struggle to stay healthy, that's a nice thing to have. But it's not a big enough reason to keep said player.

We're not Cup favorites as constructed. We likely won't be next year with or without Phil. I'd look to get a bit younger and try and prolong our window while still staying competitive in the interim.

If we had a Jake Debrusk type player flanking Malkin all year, 71 is likely out of his funk earlier and we're comfortably in the playoffs. I want 87 and 71 flanked by guys who help make them better players as they age. Guentzel, McCann, Rust is a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad