Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post | We can't pay the D this much...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
New thread up... it is what it is for now, but next year we HAVE to figure out the defense. We cannot be paying Maatta/JJ/Gudbranson a shit load of money to play 5/6. Gotta figure it out.

Personally i'd move Maatta out for a couple picks (3rd/5th rounder) and utilize that money on speeeeeeeeeeeeeeed. Then i'd also find a way to only keep 1 of Gudbranson/JJ. However only 2 games in, so I 100% check back in on the Gudbranson thing once we see how he plays the rest of the year.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Maatta only for picks? Ouch.

I think JJ is going to be real good in playoffs....I think it'll be hard for team to get rid of him if he does well.

Ugh.

Reactions: Pens17

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Maatta only for picks? Ouch.

I think JJ is going to be real good in playoffs....I think it'll be hard for team to get rid of him if he does well.

Ugh.

If it takes the salary off... it has to happen. I think we've seen consistency throughout the league that taking on 4m of salary is not something people pay big for.

Reactions: Aiastelmon

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Definitely a tough spot to be in cap wise. And the rest of the league knows it. I don't expect much value on whatever the Pens'll be selling off...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah. We're paying a lot of money for a lot of below-par defensemen.

Needs to be fixed.

But first, the Pens need to realize that it's a problem rather than stockpiling these f***ing guys like it's the Cuban missile crisis and they're non-perishable canned goods.

11+ mil for JJ, Gud, and Olli. That's untenable for a supposed contender.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
New thread up... it is what it is for now, but next year we HAVE to figure out the defense. We cannot be paying Maatta/JJ/Gudbranson a **** load of money to play 5/6. Gotta figure it out.

Personally i'd move Maatta out for a couple picks (3rd/5th rounder) and utilize that money on speeeeeeeeeeeeeeed. Then i'd also find a way to only keep 1 of Gudbranson/JJ. However only 2 games in, so I 100% check back in on the Gudbranson thing once we see how he plays the rest of the year.

You'd definitely get more than that for Maatta. If that's all that Maatta can get, I'm keeping him.

The more I look at this team, the more I think the problems with this roster are coaching related. There are roster problems for sure, but guys like Kessel shouldn't be struggling like they still are at this point.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You could make the case that we'd be a better team if we moved any or all of Maatta, Gudbranson, and JJ for nothing this summer.

Not hard to see how each of them could be looked at as addition by subtraction with the money they make and how dirt-cheap rookies like Riikola and Pettersson have performed.

Dumo-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Riikola-XXXXX

Yeah, I'd take that plus 10 mil or so in cap space over what we've got right now.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
New thread up... it is what it is for now, but next year we HAVE to figure out the defense. We cannot be paying Maatta/JJ/Gudbranson a **** load of money to play 5/6. Gotta figure it out.

I'd look at moving Maatta and Kessel in the summer. Get a bunch of picks and a few young players where possible. Gudbranson has been okay so far. Could run;

Dumo-Letang
Petterson-Schultz
Gubdranson-Johnson
Riikola

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You'd definitely get more than that for Maatta. If that's all that Maatta can get, I'm keeping him.

The more I look at this team, the more I think the problems with this roster are coaching related. There are roster problems for sure, but guys like Kessel shouldn't be struggling like they still are at this point.

Coaching doesn’t prevent slumps. Players do.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I'm not sure you can keep him regardless. We know cap has to be cut and we know one of the dmen has to go. If it turns out the market doesn't like any of Johnson, Gudbranson or Maatta that much, we simply have to take that hit and keep going.

That said in the recent history of middle pairing guys going for only futures - Hamonic got a 1st and 2 2nds and Montour got a 1st and a good NHL ready prospect. I can see Maatta bringing less because he's a bit more expensive and he's left handed and there's the injury problems but I think there's a solid case for hoping he's not bringing a lot less. 2 2nds or a 2nd and a 3rd maybe. 3rd and 5th? We'll see but I'd be upset.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd look at moving Maatta and Kessel in the summer. Get a bunch of picks and a few young players where possible. Gudbranson has been okay so far. Could run;

Dumo-Letang
Petterson-Schultz
Gubdranson-Johnson
Riikola

In a world...where a point-per-game Kessel is traded for underperforming at 6.8 mil per while Gudbranson and Johnson make 7.35 mil on the bottom pair...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not sure you can keep him regardless. We know cap has to be cut and we know one of the dmen has to go. If it turns out the market doesn't like any of Johnson, Gudbranson or Maatta that much, we simply have to take that hit and keep going.

That said in the recent history of middle pairing guys going for only futures - Hamonic got a 1st and 2 2nds and Montour got a 1st and a good NHL ready prospect. I can see Maatta bringing less because he's a bit more expensive and he's left handed and there's the injury problems but I think there's a solid case for hoping he's not bringing a lot less. 2 2nds or a 2nd and a 3rd maybe. 3rd and 5th? We'll see but I'd be upset.

I'm not sure Maatta is any less valuable than Montour, to be honest. The absolute minimum I'd expect back is a Guhle level prospect and a 2nd, which would be something like Brook and a 2nd from Montreal.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
In a world...where a point-per-game Kessel is traded for underperforming at 6.8 mil per while Gudbranson and Johnson make 7.35 mil on the bottom pair...

If we could move one of them too, I would, but I don't see anyone going for Johnson and right now, Gudbranson has been fine.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Dumo-Letang
Petterson-Schultz
Gubdranson-Johnson
Riikola
I'd like to move Kessel for a PMD. Maatta for a LW. Dump Johnson or Gudbranson for cap space. Add picks wherever needed depending on the returns.

Gunetzel - Crosby - Hornqvist (yeah, I know)
XXX - Malkin - Rust
McCann - Bjugstad - Simon
ZAR - Blueger - whoever

Dumo - Letang
Petterson - Schultz
XXX/Johnson - Gudbranson/XXX

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You could make the case that we'd be a better team if we moved any or all of Maatta, Gudbranson, and JJ for nothing this summer.

Not hard to see how each of them could be looked at as addition by subtraction with the money they make and how dirt-cheap rookies like Riikola and Pettersson have performed.

Dumo-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Riikola-XXXXX

Yeah, I'd take that plus 10 mil or so in cap space over what we've got right now.

Imo two of those three have to go...for cap

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
If Maatta goes for futures, hopefully we can get a good prospect. Picks are ok and can be moved for other stuff, but a prospect who can hopefully step in in a year or so on a cheap deal would be really nice.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not a fan of trading Maatta before two way way worse Dmen in Johnson and Gudbranson who make near the same as him.

Me neither really, but I think I know how this production ends so I'm going to try and make my peace with it now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Maatta doesn't have a spot here regardless, so whether they're trading Johnson or Gudbranson should be irrelevant to the discussion on trading Maatta.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Not a fan of trading Maatta before two way way worse Dmen in Johnson and Gudbranson who make near the same as him.
I don't think many people are, but like I said in the Gudbranson trade, every single GM should be looking at our D situation and know that we have to dump salary there. Who's going to offer anything for the other two when Maatta is on the block?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Maatta doesn't have a spot here regardless, so whether they're trading Johnson or Gudbranson should be irrelevant to the discussion on trading Maatta.

If you traded Johnson and had Maatta and Pettersson rotating between the 2nd and 3rd pairing as circs and form dictated, that'd make perfect sense to me.

Reactions: Riptide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad