Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Trolololo

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
If we deal Brassard, what 3C are we going to get that isn't going to command a 1st or 1st+? You want Sutter back?
VoIcaVd.jpg

Reactions: JackFr and Pens x

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
I really hope our 1st round picks don’t continue to fly out the window at the rate they have been in recent years.

They really need to start to hold on to draft picks so this team doesn’t fall off a cliff once Crosby and Malkin start to slow down - which isn’t that far off.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think we could have moved someone else instead and still got Brassard. Sully wanted Cole gone, it's that simple.

Who? Ottawa clearly wanted Cole because he was a UFA with 2 Cups. They thought they could flip for valuable assets.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I really hope our 1st round picks don’t continue to fly out the window at the rate they have been in recent years.

They really need to start to hold on to draft picks so this team doesn’t fall off a cliff once Crosby and Malkin start to slow down - which isn’t that far off.

I agree in theory. But it's one of those "we can't have our cake and eat it too".

2015 1st -> Perron -> Hagelin - instrumental in changing the identity of the team and a big part of the 2016 Cup. What sucks...don't look up who that pick was used on.

2016 1st -> Kessel - instrumental in changing the identity of the team and was a Conn Smyth candidate in the 2016 Cup and a major factor in the 2017 Cup.

2017 1st -> Reaves...but we essentially traded down a couple slots and got Luazon. Klim Kostin or anyone taken around 31 isn't taking us anywhere.

2018 1st -> Brassard. 2C level center to bolster depth for last year and this year. K'Andre Miller or anyone taken around 22 isn't taking us anywhere.

So while I agree that we should start picking up good young talent, management has made the decision to go for it. When you have Crosby and Malkin at the end of the window, you do that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A moderately serious suggestion: Brassard to St. Louis for Bozak at $4 million. Depending on how comfortable you are with Bozak at $5 million, they may not even need to retain salary.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
A moderately serious suggestion: Brassard to St. Louis for Bozak at $4 million. Depending on how comfortable you are with Bozak at $5 million, they may not even need to retain salary.

In theory, that would be decent asset management. Does Bozak give us a better chance than Brassard? I think depends on what we think his ability to mesh with Kessel again would be. Who was the LW on that line?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't see what's lol-worthy in that suggestion. It's Brassard for a struggling 2C/3C with term, and you have the added bonus of Bozak and Kessel fitting together well in the past.

Is it lol because someone is suggesting Bozak again or is it lol because it's a bad suggestion?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Too old...we need to get younger...and faster

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't see what's lol-worthy in that suggestion. It's Brassard for a struggling 2C/3C with term, and you have the added bonus of Bozak and Kessel fitting together well in the past.

Is it lol because someone is suggesting Bozak again or is it lol because it's a bad suggestion?

Bozak blows and is a worse version of Brassard.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Out of left field but if Chicago is serious about their situation and trying to maximize their assets that have value but won't be all that useful after a rebuild, I'd have Keith on the trade market.

Toronto would go nuts trying to get him. And he'd be just about perfect for what we need. He's regressed but on a 2nd pairing with Schultz? That'd drastically change our ability to run two pairings against good players, puck moving ability and the issues with JJ, Oleksiak and Maatta become inconsequential.

But they probably think they can be back to contending in a year or two.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Bozak is worse than Brassard. Brassard doesn't have a bad contract. I'd rather have Bonino than Bozak. He's just not a good complete player like Brassard or Bonino.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I mean, come on, Nick Bonino. Jack Johnson, am I right?

Fire Sullivan.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Nichushkin and Honka both healthy scratches in Dallas. Obviously it wouldn’t be anything approaching a season altering move by JR, but any chance either of these guys would be worth taking a flier on? Honka in particular interested me.

Since we are on the topic of Samsanov and Thornton..

Awesome documentary about them.

Long overdue but I meant to say thanks for posting that. Enjoyed it. Somehow Milbury came across less clownish at that point.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Honka's really buried in Dallas, but he'd probably be buried here too unless we moved out a D-man for him.

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
Nichushkin and Honka both healthy scratches in Dallas. Obviously it wouldn’t be anything approaching a season altering move by JR, but any chance either of these guys would be worth taking a flier on? Honka in particular interested me.

Long overdue but I meant to say thanks for posting that. Enjoyed it. Somehow Milbury came across less clownish at that point.
I'd love both, but it's like Cole has pointed out many times now when Honka comes up, he'd likely have a even harder time cracking the lineup than Sprong, and seeing as he cant be sent to the minors, would'nt make much sense, even tho i think he'd fit our team like a glove.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I was going to say adding both would be a smart move, but I don't know if the Penguins have the top-9 roster spots to add Nuke, especially considering he's a RWer (I believe). Your top-9 is already kinda full right now with Guentzel, Simon, Pearson, Kessel, Rust and Hornqvist, I don't think you can add anyone without subtracting from somewhere else.

Sprong for Honka is a deal I'd 100% do if you can also swap Oleksiak for an upgrade on the 4th line.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
There’s also the real possibility that Honka sucks and there’s a reason he’s not playing. Probably can’t be much worse than what they have though.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Last second offer. Johnson and Maatta for Nylander. TO gets the perfect compliments to Hainsey and the Pens get a decent player who will somehow make less than those two combined. No take backs.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad