Salary Cap: Salary Cap Officially $79.5M (Habs with $18.61M of Cap Space)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Montreal Canadiens - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps.png

Johnny31

Aug 4, 2017
What is surprising is that others Canadiens teams have actually as much cap space as us or actually more.

Flames have 17 M
Toronto 25 M
Jets 25 M
Nucks 27M

I dont know who they have to sign. But they are still people who believe that Tavares is going to sign here with those teams having the cap space to sign him ?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
With Max Pacioretty seemingly on his way out, we can add 4.5M to that 18.61, which would be a total of 23.11M. Then it depends who and what cap hits they get in return.

They also need to keep some for the RFA's they decide to qualify or simply sign. They won't cost much (aside from Danault).

Reactions: Redux91

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
What is surprising is that others Canadiens teams have actually as much cap space as us or actually more.

Flames have 17 M
Toronto 25 M
Jets 25 M
Nucks 27M

I dont know who they have to sign. But they are still people who believe that Tavares is going to sign here with those teams having the cap space to sign him ?

Are there really? Here on HF Habs you mean?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
No one I'd say but other than that I don't know what to say when we're talking about one of the richest hockey teams in the world.
We can’t pay Tavares 50m$ a year, every team works within the cap space so being rich is irrelevant

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I’m ready to bet my left arm this doesn’t go down, like not a chance :)

I would be too.. but I wouldn't be surprised if we signed those players, just obviously not to the hyperbolic amounts I posted.

Like you knew I was being hyperbolic, right?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I would be too.. but I wouldn't be surprised if we signed those players, just obviously not to the hyperbolic amounts I posted.

Like you knew I was being hyperbolic, right?
I knew that, but I wasn’t gonna chop off my arm either if I was wrong, that was purely hyperbolic, you knew that right??

:laugh:

Reactions: WeThreeKings

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017

Flames have 17 M
Toronto 25 M
Jets 25 M
Nucks 27M

You need to look at how many players they have under contract.

For example.

Montreal has 21 players signed and cap of over $18 mil.

Calgary has 15 players under contract but has $16 mil.

This means Calgary will need to sign 8 more players with $16 mil. Whereas Montreal needs to sign 2 more players with cap of $18 mil.

So 2 players at $9 mil per player or 8 players at $2 mil per player.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
You need to look at how many players they have under contract.

For example.

Montreal has 21 players signed and cap of over $18 mil.

Calgary has 15 players under contract but has $16 mil.

This means Calgary will need to sign 8 more players with $16 mil. Whereas Montreal needs to sign 2 more players with cap of $18 mil.

So 2 players at $9 mil per player or 8 players at $2 mil per player.

Exactly. We need to look at how many UFA's/RFA's they need to sign.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Flames have 17 M
Toronto 25 M
Jets 25 M
Nucks 27M

Toronto only really has to sign Nylander this year, however, they can't spend too much on long term contracts.

Marner & Matthews have to be resigned next year. If the trade board is right, Marner maybe asking for Draisatl money ($8m) & Matthews Eichel money ($10m). They can both sign extensions this summer after July 1st.

I can see Nylander getting at least Drouin's $5,5m and probably RNH's $6m. So that's $24m tied up in 3 forwards by next season.

They also only have 3 D signed after this season so that's going to eat up some more cap space.

It's going to be interesting to see how Leafs handle it.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
they should purge all of their horrible contracts (shaw, alzner, weber, price, etc) and go full rebuild. but that won't happen. cap space means nothing when your core is awful and you have no future to pay.

Reactions: cphabs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad