Salary Cap: Salary Cap $81.5M

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
There are a handful of teams in a cap crunch, all will be compliant when required. That hardly merits a lockout. Most owners, including those with cap issues, are making great money and shutting the lights off puts a stop to that.

Hope you are right, but I can see the league wanting to avoid this situation in the future where a bunch of teams are over the cap because it came in lower.

Maybe they chose to die on the 5 year term limit, or want some sort of cap free buy out or lower revenue share if cap goes down. But knowing the league they will dig their heels in and don't really seem to care about losing hockey.

I hope CBA is signed easy peasy as I don't want another lock out.

Reactions: Tighthead

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Hope you are right, but I can see the league wanting to avoid this situation in the future where a bunch of teams are over the cap because it came in lower.

Maybe they chose to die on the 5 year term limit, or want some sort of cap free buy out or lower revenue share if cap goes down. But knowing the league they will dig their heels in and don't really seem to care about losing hockey.

I hope CBA is signed easy peasy as I don't want another lock out.

I don’t think you can speak of the league as a monolith. The owners have divergent interests.

Molson doesn’t want to rock the boat. MLSE has shareholders to appease.

I don’t think they mind the 8 year deals. When teams get a McDavid or Crosby they want to lock them down - especially if you are an outpost like Edmonton.

Boston, Philly and the Rangers are all powerful teams and they are fine. Owners aren’t going to go to lockout because George McPhee screwed up.

I don’t think revenue going down is a serious concern. The next US TV deal will be a win according to Friedman.

Reactions: Devonator

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I cannot imagine they would actually wait till Saturday. This benefits nobody, every team has holes to fill and the draft is the time to make moves. Teams need to know what the cap will be.

I get players don't like to be traded but these trades usually end up giving them better opportunities.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I cannot imagine they would actually wait till Saturday. This benefits nobody, every team has holes to fill and the draft is the time to make moves. Teams need to know what the cap will be.

I get players don't like to be traded but these trades usually end up giving them better opportunities.

agreed.

but they should prepare for 81.5M regardless.

its shaping up to be a very interesting draft and we will see which GMs have nerves of steel. Its going to be entertaining to watch that dumb kid in Toronto take his fake glasses and his arrogant smirk off his face.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Habs didn't have any pending UFA to sell off besides low/zero value like Benn.

Actually a D-man like Benn would have had tons of value for a contending team at the last trade deadline. I think if we knew we weren't re-signing him we could've gotten a 2nd rounder for him.

With the talent we have coming up, Byron should be replaceable. I think he finished the season on the 4th line. Teams get in trouble when they fall in love with their own mid range players and extend them. We already have term on Shaw.

I’m well aware of what the return would be. He’s the type of player who should be churned out, in my opinion.

Who the heck do we have to replace Byron right now? 20 goal scoring elite PK'ing ready now rookies hiding where?

TSN690 is a Habs station i get it but Mtl having 10.7 mil available before signing 3 more guys is nice but it is nothing compared to the 6 teams who have 30 + mil and 6 other teams who have 20+ mil available under the 82 mil cap. Yeah MB could buy out this guy or that guy but until he does it money is not that available for a grand coup. Columbus will be a big player imo.

Just FYI many teams don't spend to the cap. Some struggle to the floor and several others have an internal cap limit. The number of teams that can swallow a bad cap pill are actually not numerous.

Most owners, including those with cap issues, are making great money and shutting the lights off puts a stop to that.

Great money? I don't think so. The Habs probably make more with ancillary products and their real estate portfolio than the team itself. I'd even argue most teams struggle. This isn't the NFL.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
There are a handful of teams in a cap crunch, all will be compliant when required. That hardly merits a lockout. Most owners, including those with cap issues, are making great money and shutting the lights off puts a stop to that.

Actually it's the opposite, if they lockout the players and get even just a few % more of league revenue flowing into their pockets they will more then make up for a lost half season.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
This feels like it could be one of the best off seasons in a long time to have a lot of cash on hand. Upwards of 30 players are trying to be traded out to make place for cap space. Hope Bergy put the time in to figure how to maximize the return.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
This feels like it could be one of the best off seasons in a long time to have a lot of cash on hand. Upwards of 30 players are trying to be traded out to make place for cap space. Hope Bergy put the time in to figure how to maximize the return.

It's the kind of off season that will really benefit teams with strong leadership, clear vision, and competent management....

Lord help us :crossfing

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Rumour on the mainboard now is it may not be going up much at all. Could be as low as $80m.

You know, they really need to figure this out BEFORE the damn draft.

Sens and Arizona are going to become extremely popular.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
With the cap being at roughly 81.5 mill with rumours it might be as low as 80 mill I feel we can forget about Duchene.

But I have this sinking fealing this increases the chances the Habs go for Gardiner and that worries me greatly.

I mean if there is no trade, then who else is now available to sign for need?

I hope they stay away from Gardiner.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
With the cap being at roughly 81.5 mill with rumours it might be as low as 80 mill I feel we can forget about Duchene.

But I have this sinking fealing this increases the chances the Habs go for Gardiner and that worries me greatly.

Bergevin sounds like he's staying away from free agency.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
So, to be very basic, this is either going to freeze trades, or accelerate them.

Also a lot of buyouts leading to more ufas. Teams can buyout until June 30.

Reimer is one for sure.

Maybe Connor Brown, Erik Haula, Sam Gagner, Michael Stone not exactly a who's who of hockey.

Others won't get q.o's, like Burakovsky in Washington.

Should be an interesting week.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017

The team that signs Jake "Mistake Prone" Gardiner to an insane contract will not make the playoffs.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Since Bergy missed out on Brady T by drafting Jasperi K instead, could Bergy extend an offer sheet for Brady's older Bro Matthew T?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Since Bergy missed out on Brady T by drafting Jasperi K instead, could Bergy extend an offer sheet for Brady's older Bro Matthew T?

Doubt it.

Bergevin in his 7 years has never traded a 1st round pick (the pick itself) he's never traded up, or down in the 1st and only traded down once in the 2nd with a late pick.

He's traded 4 2nds. 2 for Shaw, 1 for Petry and 1 for Vanek.

Offering sheeting someone is losing a lot of top 62 picks and Bergevin seems really against that.

If you look at the cup winners, you'll see teams have dealt 1st round picks to acquire a player on the roster and/or they acquired a top end player that was in the ufa class. By top end, I mean relative to the ufa class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad