Salary Cap: Salary Cap $81.5M

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Not on 7 years. Cap for purposes of offer sheet compensation is based on total value/5 years

So it's total value divided by 5? What kind of stupidity is that? They really don't want people to try offer sheets, do they. Schenn was traded for two 1sts and a 2nd. The value is not far off, and Meier is better. He's developing into the kind of power forward this team needs. Big, fast, and skilled, and goes to the dirty areas around the net. Has a nice shooting arsenal.

It's wishful thinking, but he's one of the few players I'd consider it. Could also offer him $7,75 at 5 years. That would include only 1 year of free agency.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

No idea what Vegas is going to do. They're already over the cap at $83m, and haven't signed William Karlsson and Nikita Gusev. They also need a back-up goalie. They're carrying 20 players this year and that's it. Injuries are going to be a huge problem.

They do have LTIR because they have one more year of David Clarkson's $5,25m dead space. But, some of that is already being used since they're already over the Cap. They may have around $4,3m to play with through LTIR. That would allow them to sign Gusev, sign a back-up and have injury room. It does not allow them to sign Karlsson unless he agrees to a huge paycut.

They'll have to move salary out. Most likely Cody Eakin for picks and minor leaguers/prospects. That would free up another $3,85m. Giving them about $8,15m with LTIR. Karlsson signs for $6m, back-up for $700,000 leaving $1m to sign Gusev and have $450,000 in cap space. Really, really tight.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
dubas_web.jpg

So you say the cap isn`t going up as much as expected?...hmm...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So it's total value divided by 5? What kind of stupidity is that? They really don't want people to try offer sheets, do they. Schenn was traded for two 1sts and a 2nd. The value is not far off, and Meier is better. He's developing into the kind of power forward this team needs. Big, fast, and skilled, and goes to the dirty areas around the net. Has a nice shooting arsenal.

It's wishful thinking, but he's one of the few players I'd consider it. Could also offer him $7,75 at 5 years. That would include only 1 year of free agency.

If you want to put real pressure, offer him 5 years at $8.4M. Overpayment on the AAV but this forces their hand big time. Compensation would be 2020 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Anything more than $8.4M is a extra 1st.

Sharks would have $6.9M to sign 8 players including Pavalski (UFA), Nyquist (UFA) and Lablanc (RFA) if they match. This is based on a $82M cap. If it's lower than this, their cap space is lowered.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
No idea what Vegas is going to do. They're already over the cap at $83m, and haven't signed William Karlsson and Nikita Gusev. They also need a back-up goalie. They're carrying 20 players this year and that's it. Injuries are going to be a huge problem.

They do have LTIR because they have one more year of David Clarkson's $5,25m dead space. But, some of that is already being used since they're already over the Cap. They may have around $4,3m to play with through LTIR. That would allow them to sign Gusev, sign a back-up and have injury room. It does not allow them to sign Karlsson unless he agrees to a huge paycut.

They'll have to move salary out. Most likely Cody Eakin for picks and minor leaguers/prospects. That would free up another $3,85m. Giving them about $8,15m with LTIR. Karlsson signs for $6m, back-up for $700,000 leaving $1m to sign Gusev and have $450,000 in cap space. Really, really tight.
Teams should be on the phone with GMGM 24/7. Pry away an asset to take on Clarkson's hit. Even though it is LTIR, it does impact Vegas' ability to make moves. Habs could throw in Charlie so they get a backup goalie.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
There are a lot of teams in cap trouble... the way idiots GMs like Fletcher and Dubas hand out ridiculous contracts, it will be hard to manage this.

Trades might actually be more interesting... and I wouldn't be suprised to see a couple of offer sheets... interesting summer.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
It will be fun to watch the Leafs deconstruct this summer.
Last summer it was Bozak, Komarov, JVR, Polak, Martin plus McEhlinney later moving on. This summer will be...Gardiner?...Hainsey?...+ ???

I'm interested too, to see their roster when the dust settles.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Last summer it was Bozak, Komarov, JVR, Polak, Martin plus McEhlinney later moving on. This summer will be...Gardiner?...Hainsey?...+ ???

I'm interested too, to see their roster when the dust settles.

This year it's Gardiner, Marleau, one of (Kapenen and Johnson) and Ennis. I think Hainsey might be back if they can get him on a cheap deal. They need RD's. I used the armchair GM on cap friendly and tried to be creative... This is how it fits and I had to make it a 21 man roster instead of 23. I believe they will be forced to take a step back in terms of how complete the roster is vs last season.

3 problems
- RD's
- LW
- Fitting in solid Depth in case of short term in juries

ylTZHJJ.jpg

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
This year it's Gardiner, Marleau, one of (Kapenen and Johnson) and Ennis. I think Hainsey might be back if they can get him on a cheap deal. They need RD's. I used the armchair GM on cap friendly and tried to be creative... This is how it fits and I had to make it a 21 man roster instead of 23. I believe they will be forced to take a step back in terms of how complete the roster is vs last season.

3 problems
- RD's
- LW

ylTZHJJ.jpg
No way Marner settles for 10,5mil...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No way Marner settles for 10,5mil...

Not the point. The point was how it looks with a $82M cap, who is gone, and how they fit in a 23 man roster. If Marner gets more than $10.5M (I think he does), the problems get worse. I showed conservative numbers on purpose

You are proving my point even more if Marner get more than $10.5M

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014

Highly doubt they can sign Gusev with 4.3 mil

Chili

Jun 10, 2004

3 problems
- RD's
- LW

ylTZHJJ.jpg
Sounds like they want to replace Sparks as well, although they may find a cheap option. Would be funny to see them re-sign McElhinney, believe he earned a better contract then they may be able to afford.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I think this is a sign we are heading to another lockout.

If teams are going to have these huge contracts and no cap room the league is going to push the players hard on something.

The owners are going to use the CBA to save themselves from all the crazy contracts they have that have pushed them up against the cap.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sounds like they want to replace Sparks as well, although they may find a cheap option. Would be funny to see them re-sign McElhinney, believe he earned a better contract then they may be able to afford.

The Leafs media and Fan base are in denial mode and think they can improve the team from last year and still deal with the cap. It's delusional. If they want to create flexibility with the options they want to explore (realistic options), they are going to have to make this type of trade... Nylander for a 1st, grade A piece at RD, whatever else they can manage to get on top. This unblocks the cap issue and sets them up well to make improvements now and later with the futures they get. Do I think they do this? Doubt it. Dubas is a smart young kid with a plan but he is inexperienced and he will get humbled.

They don't need Nylander to win. That was proven at the beginning of last year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Wow... $81.5M is going to create some major problems for about a half dozen teams. This should be an entertaining summer!

- Cap at $81.5 vs $83M. $1.5M is not that much but it's a lot when you already had problems with a $83M cap!

- RFA contracts at play. I have never seen a list like this. Point, Marner, Laine, Rantanen, Boeser, Trouba, Karlsson, Aho, Tkachuk, Meier and more!

- UFA's at play: Pretty solid list compared to the average off season. Panarin, Duchene, Pavelski, Nyquist, Dzingel, Lee, Zuccarello, Ferland.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I think this is a sign we are heading to another lockout.

If teams are going to have these huge contracts and no cap room the league is going to push the players hard on something.

The owners are going to use the CBA to save themselves from all the crazy contracts they have that have pushed them up against the cap.

There are a handful of teams in a cap crunch, all will be compliant when required. That hardly merits a lockout. Most owners, including those with cap issues, are making great money and shutting the lights off puts a stop to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->