Injury Report: Salary cap from injuries this season

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Anyone smarter than I know the effect of the salary cap based on the amount of injuries the leafs have had this season? Does that buy us any room?

Marner, Tavares, Johnsson, mikheyev, muzzin, Moore, Hyman and Dermott have all missed time. I’m just curious how that works.

thanks

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
@mouser if you happen to know, you seem to be well-versed on the intricacies of the salary cap.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Anyone smarter than I know the effect of the salary cap based on the amount of injuries the leafs have had this season? Does that buy us any room?

Marner, Tavares, Johnsson, mikheyev, muzzin, Moore, Hyman and Dermott have all missed time. I’m just curious how that works.

thanks

No.

Since we are using LTIR, we don't accumulate cap space.

Everything stays status quo.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
We're not getting any cap-relief from the Injuries due to the fact that we were already over the Salary limit to start the season.

So regardless, our situation is still the same. Extremely tight.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
He was originally week to week. Maybe they didn’t want him to get stuck on LTIR when he became ready to go?
I suppose......I guess that can put him on retroactively if necessary. With AJ on LTIR there is sufficient space to ice a 23 man roster so there is no real advantage to having Muzzin on it as well

Reactions: Ciao

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I used to worry about these things when Burke Nonis and especially JFJ were in charge but seeing as our two AGMs both played roles in writing this version of the cap I just assume they’re doing what’s best for the team. there’s literally $0 when everyone is healthy this year, but I don’t see them dropping anyone (Mango or Ceci) to create space in season. It doesn’t mean anything to have 4.5m in space and no way to fill it.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I used to worry about these things when Burke Nonis and especially JFJ were in charge but seeing as our two AGMs both played roles in writing this version of the cap I just assume they’re doing what’s best for the team. there’s literally $0 when everyone is healthy this year, but I don’t see them dropping anyone (Mango or Ceci) to create space in season. It doesn’t mean anything to have 4.5m in space and no way to fill it.

The problem is we can't have Engvall up when everyone is healthy. AJ for a ~2ish million 3W + picks or depth D might make sense.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Yea unfortutnately Marner's agent kind of screwed us this year. Made us add the Clarkson contract so we could be as close to the cap as possible and gain space through the year if Marner held out until December.

So rather than signing early and seeing if we could move the last year of the Horton deal we had to add Clarkson.

With him signing right before camp it gave us no flexibility for this season.

Moving forward after this year we should be okay to gain space because of LTIR.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

upload_2020-1-5_14-55-51.png

Clarkson making more than Frederik

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You don't accumulate space when you're using LTIR all year so LTIR would only allow you to temporarily have cap space equal to the player contract that's injured. So right now we had to room to replace Johnsson's, Mikheyev's, and Moore's money. Maybe Muzzin's too if he's out long enough they decide to put him on LTIR. Earlier we had the same oppurtinities with Marner and maybe Tavares(not sure if he was ever on LTIR), Hyman and Dermott. When all are healthy(except Mikheyev who's likely gone for the year) we'll be down to a 21 man roster with no space.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You can replace the cap of the guy on LTIR *while he is on LTIR*. Once he's back it's gone.

Knowing that is the way it is makes me wonder why Dubas hasn't acquired the LTIR salary of a guy that's not voming back and that way he can replace him on the roster with a deadline deal.

It's greasy but doable.

The Hawks did it with Kane during a cup run, they kept him on LTIR until the playoffs and bought at the deadline

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Nice to see some dead money coming off the books next season.

Only a couple years after this one with Phil's retention, as well.

Reactions: Ciao

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Hard to believe Horton and Clarkson contracts still active. Those guys have been gone for years.

Reactions: OddyOh

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
You don't accumulate space when you're using LTIR all year so LTIR would only allow you to temporarily have cap space equal to the player contract that's injured. So right now we had to room to replace Johnsson's, Mikheyev's, and Moore's money. Maybe Muzzin's too if he's out long enough they decide to put him on LTIR. Earlier we had the same oppurtinities with Marner and maybe Tavares(not sure if he was ever on LTIR), Hyman and Dermott. When all are healthy(except Mikheyev who's likely gone for the year) we'll be down to a 21 man roster with no space.

Ok so basically we’re looking at a lineup like below assuming all our healthy at some point this year(even Mikheyev for playoffs)

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot-JT-Nylander
AJ-Engvall-Kappy
Mikheyev-Spezza-Moore
X-GOAT

Reilly-Barrie
Muzzin-Holl
Dermott-Ceci

Andersen
Hutch

Would above work?

Ad