Rumor: Salary Cap Could Be Up To 88 Million in 2020-21

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
We could easily take on Bob's contract if necessary...

I guess that's fair; can't have all your cap tied up, after all. Gotta leave room for that one injury that will likely never happen to the Wings.

It's just a shitty beer, shouldn't have too much impact on the salary cap.

Oh, the other one. Right.

I'd throw a big contract at Piet, but no thanks to the other two. I'm still banging the Kyle Turris drum, and the rest can be used for a goalie and RFAs.

This is something I think would be really intriguing. Would actually give us two top 6 centers and Nashville wouldn't have to retain. With no retention what does it take to get this done? Assuming we win the draft lottery and land Laf our forward group would actually be shaping up decently..

Laf - Larkin - Mantha
Bert - Turris - Fabbri
Timoshov - Filppula - Ras?
Gator - Glendending - Helm
Ehn
Nielsen

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
This is something I think would be really intriguing. Would actually give us two top 6 centers and Nashville wouldn't have to retain. With no retention what does it take to get this done? Assuming we win the draft lottery and land Laf our forward group would actually be shaping up decently..

Laf - Larkin - Mantha
Bert - Turris - Fabbri
Ehn
Nielsen

Zadina?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
It does not change things one way or the other, I guess.

Maybe we can get rid of bad contracts faster and easier.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net

Laf - Larkin - Mantha
Bert - Turris - Fabbri
Ehn
Nielsen

If we could get them to take Nielsen back (with retention), that would be a win, I think.

As far as lines go, I wouldn't pencil any (potential) #1 picks yet; especially since Turris and Mantha had good chemistry last time they played together.

Last edited:

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
You can't LTIR if player is healthy.

True, but you can LTIRetire a player for something as simple as a skin condition even after the player passed a physical saying he was healthy enough to play..... so there still seems to be plenty of wiggle room in the rules defining what is considered healthy vs not healthy.

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
I can just imagine Ken Holland's plan if he was still here... Mantha would get 5 year $33 mil, AA would get $6 mil a year, Howard would get a 2 year extension. All with NTC.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
No point buying him out just ltir when a spot opens, same with Abby.
thats-not-how-any-of-this-works-gif-1.gif

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
One of the things we can do, if we want to reach the floor and still have open spots, is bury Nielsen and Abdelkader in the AHL. We would only receive 1.8M in Cap relief, but would also gain main roster spots while keeping 7.7M of their salary on the books.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
One of the things we can do, if we want to reach the floor and still have open spots, is bury Nielsen and Abdelkader in the AHL. We would only receive 1.8M in Cap relief, but would also gain main roster spots while keeping 7.7M of their salary on the books.
I don't think we'll do this, honestly. We'll just keep them on the roster and either keep them on the 4th line, trade them, or healthy scratch them. Their salary will be useful for re-signing whoever we draft this year, as well as Seider's contract. So having $9.5M of salary that you know is going to be off the books when it comes to locking up Seider and <insert 2020 1st rounder that hopefully isn't a bust> to new contracts. They have almost perfect amounts for holdover in their contract years.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
External factors aside, he's the definition of vanilla, stop-gap, we're overloaded with those. He's a career .43ppg=35pt F. Take out his only good year & he's .36ppg=29pt. F...which is closer to his norm. Besides those #'s are more likely to go down vs. up, on our team next year, as his prior teams were all better (Minn/Car/Vegas). Worst case scenario we just use Filppula til TDL & give Ras/JV a shot @2C then, or wait for a buy low/change of scenery scenario on a real 2C. I'd like to give Gagner & Fabbri a shot @ 2C for the rest of this season.

Edit: If VGK can't find a suitor for Stastny @ 1yr/$6.5 quasi-capdump, maybe we can lowball them, though some playoff team will likely outbid us.
Blash got the memo.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Would be happy if Yzerman looked at Galchenyuk and Erik Gustaffson for short term contracts at a bit higher AAV than market value in hopes we get another reclamation win. Idk why everyone soured on Gustaffson in particular so quickly, he had 60 points LAST YEAR.

Seeing something in the range of 2-3 year at 4-5 mil aav each would give us two solid swings at potentially accelerating the rebuild either through them staying with us or being trade bait while not hampering us long term

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Cap may go down due to Covid-19...per Servalli. (this is where the Wings could benefit by getting players from teams up against the Cap, sadly from a potential plague/disaster unfortunately)

full article & video:
A look at how the coronavirus could impact the NHL’s bottom line - TSN.ca

excerpt:
"But in the longer term, substantial revenue lost would have a direct impact on next season’s salary cap. There is a provision in the Collective Bargaining Agreement that any money owed to the owners by players in excess of what was collected in this season’s escrow account comes directly off what is owed to the players next season - thus reducing the salary cap.
The coronavirus’ impact on the economy at large, including a sharp downturn in the Canadian dollar this week, could also have a negative impact on next season’s revenue because approximately one-third of the league’s revenue is in Canadian currency.
“There is a lot of uncertainty right now and I think the concern is the unknown,” Gavin said. “There is still a lot to play out.”

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Cap may go down due to Covid-19...per Servalli

full article & video:
A look at how the coronavirus could impact the NHL’s bottom line - TSN.ca

excerpt:
"But in the longer term, substantial revenue lost would have a direct impact on next season’s salary cap. There is a provision in the Collective Bargaining Agreement that any money owed to the owners by players in excess of what was collected in this season’s escrow account comes directly off what is owed to the players next season - thus reducing the salary cap.
The coronavirus’ impact on the economy at large, including a sharp downturn in the Canadian dollar this week, could also have a negative impact on next season’s revenue because approximately one-third of the league’s revenue is in Canadian currency.
“There is a lot of uncertainty right now and I think the concern is the unknown,” Gavin said. “There is still a lot to play out.”

Just came to post that the COVID virus will likely hurt the cap, as the teams and league will be hit hard with the loss of revenue from games and the like.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Just came to post that the COVID virus will likely hurt the cap, as the teams and league will be hit hard with the loss of revenue from games and the like.
Even if it goes down $2-3M from this season, that's huge for a few teams & makes things even tighter/trickier for others, Wings could cash in on their dilemma.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
There is going to be a financial impact for the league because of the virus, how much is the big question. I would see the league try to maintain the current cap level, rather than a decrease, to minimize the disruption to current rosters. It is not in the interest of the league to create roster turmoil caused by a decreasing cap.

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
If the season is effectively over with no playoffs, as I believe will prove to be the case, the impact on the cap will be substantial. This virus is wreaking financial havoc globally. The NHL will feel it as is everyone else.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If the season is effectively over with no playoffs, as I believe will prove to be the case, the impact on the cap will be substantial. This virus is wreaking financial havoc globally. The NHL will feel it as is everyone else.

Yeah,

IF there's no playoffs the cap could be like 79 or less.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
There is going to be a financial impact for the league because of the virus, how much is the big question. I would see the league try to maintain the current cap level, rather than a decrease, to minimize the disruption to current rosters. It is not in the interest of the league to create roster turmoil caused by a decreasing cap.
They could give teams one or two compliance buyouts for decreasing the cap, similar to what they did when they first initiated the salary cap. Virtually every team has at least one crappy contract.

It would be very beneficial to the Wings for obvious reasons, and it would also increase the number of free agents available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad