Rumor: Salary Cap Could Be Up To 88 Million in 2020-21

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I think having cap space along with contract space will be important next season.

With the expansion draft coming we could see Yzerman put Detroit in a position to make some good deals for the Wings.
He should look into taking on contracts for picks / picking up young players that need to be exposed but are sold at a discount because they need to be exposed / young waiver wire players teams try to sneak through to the minors / ect..

This offseason and next season could see some activity on the trade front and I have no doubt Yzerman will set Detroit up in a position to be a player in that market.

I'd like to see a similar approach to UFAs as Yzerman had last summer.
Low cap / short term vets that could be flipped at the deadline. 1-2 year deals.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
One scenario what we could do.

Get 3 UFAs for total 17M, and there's still ~9M some cap space via Zetterberg LTIR for other moves. Like hoarding big contracts at the deadline, if the season is bad again.

1. Larkin, 6.1M
2. Mantha, RFA, 6.0M estimation
3. Bertuzzi, RFA, 5.25M estimation
4. Erik Haula, UFA, 4.75M
5. Fabbri, RFA, 3.5M estimation
6. Filppula, 3.0M
7. Glendening 1.8M
8. Zadina, 894k
9. Rasmussen, 894k
10. Svechnikov, RFA, 850k estimation
11. Ehn, RFA, 800k estimation
12. Timashov, RFA, 750k estimation
-----------------------
13. Helm, 3.85M
14. Abdelkader, 4.25M

1. Torey Krug, UFA, 7.5M
2. Dekeyser, 5.0M
3. Nemeth, 3.0M
4. Bowey, RFA, 1.5M estimation
5. Seider, 925k
6. Hronek, 714k
----------------------
7. Cholowski, 894k (or Lindström)

1. Tomas Greiss, UFA 4.5M
2. Bernier, 3.0M

Extras:
- Frans Nielsen bought out June 15th 2020. ---> 3.416M caphit for season 2020-21.
- Stephen Weiss buyout caphit, 1.667M for last season 2020-21
- Henrik Zetterberg 6.081M caphit (LTIR)

Total: 80.855M
Cap: 84.0M

Cap Space: 3.145M
Real Cap space through Zetterberg LTIR: 9.226M

Better team, some kids up, still some flexibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wearebadmr91

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Get 3 UFAs for total 17M, and there's still ~9M some cap space via Zetterberg LTIR for other moves. Like hoarding big contracts at the deadline, if the season is bad again.

1. Larkin, 6.1M
6. Filppula, 3.0M
7. Glendening 1.8M
8. Zadina, 894k
9. Rasmussen, 894k
-----------------------
13. Helm, 3.85M
14. Abdelkader, 4.25M

1. Torey Krug, UFA, 7.5M
2. Dekeyser, 5.0M
3. Nemeth, 3.0M
5. Seider, 925k
6. Hronek, 714k
----------------------

2. Bernier, 3.0M

Extras:
- Frans Nielsen bought out June 15th 2020. ---> 3.416M caphit for season 2020-21.

Looks ok except Haula is a 3C, will be 29 in March & has only played 60gp combined the last 2 seasons. His 2C production yr. was w/Vegas & their great set of F's. He'd be another 25-30pt player here probably, so aging/injury prone & overpriced @ $4.75m, not to mention term?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Looks ok except Haula is a 3C, will be 29 in March & has only played 60gp combined the last 2 seasons. His 2C production yr. was w/Vegas & their great set of F's. He'd be another 25-30pt player here probably, so aging/injury prone & overpriced @ $4.75m, not to mention term?

There's no better center on the market. Pretty much Haula problems at this season are family related. Their child did born dead on january and people usully need some time to get mentally over it. His production drop pretty much is related to this.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
There's no better center on the market. Pretty much Haula problems at this season are family related. Their child did born dead on january and people usully need some time to get mentally over it. His production drop pretty much is related to this.

Oh crap. Yeah, you're not kidding. That's so awful.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Yep, do not want.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

1. Larkin, 6.1M
6. Filppula, 3.0M
7. Glendening 1.8M
8. Zadina, 894k
9. Rasmussen, 894k
-----------------------
13. Helm, 3.85M
14. Abdelkader, 4.25M

1. Torey Krug, UFA, 7.5M
2. Dekeyser, 5.0M
3. Nemeth, 3.0M
5. Seider, 925k
6. Hronek, 714k
----------------------

2. Bernier, 3.0M

Extras:

I would not buy out Nielsen. No need to extend the pain. Use the cap space you have now to take the blow, not a lesser amount when you need it.

Not interested in Greiss at 4.5,
Krug isn't signing for 7.5
Fabbri isn't getting 3.5M. I'd look more at 2. Think the comparable contract that Athanasiou turned down a couple years ago. AA that year > Fabbri this year. 2x1.9. Want to adjust for inflation, 2x2.25 or 2x2.5

Reactions: jkutswings

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
External factors aside, he's the definition of vanilla, stop-gap, we're overloaded with those. He's a career .43ppg=35pt F. Take out his only good year & he's .36ppg=29pt. F...which is closer to his norm. Besides those #'s are more likely to go down vs. up, on our team next year, as his prior teams were all better (Minn/Car/Vegas). Worst case scenario we just use Filppula til TDL & give Ras/JV a shot @2C then, or wait for a buy low/change of scenery scenario on a real 2C. I'd like to give Gagner & Fabbri a shot @ 2C for the rest of this season.

Edit: If VGK can't find a suitor for Stastny @ 1yr/$6.5 quasi-capdump, maybe we can lowball them, though some playoff team will likely outbid us.

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'll expect the 84M.

Again with a minimum escalator.
Yeah the 88 million assumes the maximum escalator but the players are worried about escrow so it'll probably be 1.3% like last year which I think brings us to 83.5 million. That's the number I'd use if I was an NHL GM.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
That's so terrible. I was totally against signing him, but I think the guy deserves any chance he gets. That's among the hardest things to experience.

Reactions: jkutswings

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Thank God Holland is gone. Last thing we need is someone like Cholo making 4M AAV NTM/NTC....

Players coming out of their ELC cannot get NMC or NTC until after their RFA years unless you're insinuating Holland who was very good at RFA deals still late in his tenure was throwing him an 8 year deal or something... You might want to learn the rules of the sport if you want to make jokes ripping people...

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Players coming out of their ELC cannot get NMC or NTC until after their RFA years unless you're insinuating Holland who was very good at RFA deals still late in his tenure was throwing him an 8 year deal or something... You might want to learn the rules of the sport if you want to make jokes ripping people...
That's really why you didn't like the joke? I get it we are all pissed about the season but c'mon :(o_O

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
My understanding is, that salary floor would be 62M with 84M cap and 65M with 88M cap.

We would be under the 62M floor if not adding anybody, and going just with own kids.

I did add +20M which included 3.4M for Nielsen buyout + 17M for UFAs.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
My understanding is, that salary floor would be 62M with 84M cap and 65M with 88M cap.

We would be under the 62M floor if not adding anybody, and going just with own kids.

No point buying him out just ltir when a spot opens, same with Abby.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
Why do people keep saying we have too much dead weight and have to buyout Frans or Abby (not necessarily this thread but I keep seeing it mentioned on this board) ? All the dead cap space between Franzen, Helm, Weiss, Ericsson, Daley, Zetterberg, and Howard is coming off the books either this offseason or next. Thats a ton of cap between those players, and yeah having just under 10M tied up in Abby and Frans isn't ideal, I don't see the rush to do it this offseason or next because this team shouldn't be making a big splash in free agency and our RFA's shouldn't eat up too much cap either. I'd say let Frans play out his contract and try to trade him in the last year of his deal before the trade deadline. If anything I think this team should be taking on bad contracts (2 years or less) to acquire more draft picks/prospects since there are no real valuable assets left to trade off this team.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Any targets on the market possibly in the off season? Teams with guys signed to larger contracts but may need to move for salary cap purposes? Not saying we should target him.. But a guy like Jake Gardiner? Hasn't been a great fit and Carolina may look to move out and avoid a cap issue? Someone who can still play.. I don't want a Lucic, we have two of those.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Why do people keep saying we have too much dead weight and have to buyout Frans or Abby (not necessarily this thread but I keep seeing it mentioned on this board) ? All the dead cap space between Franzen, Helm, Weiss, Ericsson, Daley, Zetterberg, and Howard is coming off the books either this offseason or next. Thats a ton of cap between those players, and yeah having just under 10M tied up in Abby and Frans isn't ideal, I don't see the rush to do it this offseason or next because this team shouldn't be making a big splash in free agency and our RFA's shouldn't eat up too much cap either. I'd say let Frans play out his contract and try to trade him in the last year of his deal before the trade deadline. If anything I think this team should be taking on bad contracts (2 years or less) to acquire more draft picks/prospects since there are no real valuable assets left to trade off this team.
With the cap going way up teams won't really have a need to trade away those bad contracts (most good teams have like 1 bad contract max anyways unlike us with 8+). Plus they won't want to just give away those 1st round draft picks like used to be the case to get rid of a bad deal

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
With the cap going way up teams won't really have a need to trade away those bad contracts (most good teams have like 1 bad contract max anyways unlike us with 8+). Plus they won't want to just give away those 1st round draft picks like used to be the case to get rid of a bad deal

Please name the 8+ bad contracts we have for next year.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

How do you figure we'd be under the 62M threshold if we just add our own kid? Let's say for argument sake that Tyler Bertuzzi gets 7 x 5.5 and Anthony Mantha gets 7 x 6.5 and Robby Fabbri gets 2 x 3 that's already $15 million added and those are probably conservative numbers. Still need to add 10 more players and $2M more to reach the $62M mark even just adding our ELCs we would rather easily reach the cap floor. That's not the issue here. Yzerman will probably be pretty aggressive on the LHD market i would bet and a cheap short term goalie.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
That's so terrible. I was totally against signing him, but I think the guy deserves any chance he gets. That's among the hardest things to experience.

I feel for him, but you don't make financial decisions on how heartwrenching a story it is.

topdawg

Jan 17, 2016
Do you think vancouver would give us podkolzin if we took eriksson's contract off their hands or am I not even close?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad